User Tag List

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Towel grips have a rather short playability life. The sweat tends to make the towel stiff when dry and it gets stiffer from more sweat. You can use a knife edge to soften the towel grip but you will not get back the feel and touch of new towel without a replacement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so a towel grip, is simply that?
    a grip that is like a towel?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greenman
    so a towel grip, is simply that?
    a grip that is like a towel?
    yes, with a tacky backside on retail version.
    u can also make one yourself

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ants
    Cooler : Sigit Budiarto uses towel grips remember?
    also jens eriksen, nathan robertson to name a couple more...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use Yonex Titanium grips. Shock cushioning is very good, as is sweat absorption - very important for me as i have very sweaty hands and live in the tropics. Its a rather heavy grip (20 grams, i think) and very thick, but i find that the thickness helps. I'm more relaxed while holding my racquet as compared with thinner grips - I can hold it very loosely and it has done wonders for my smash.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use supergrap from yonex. I buy those giant packings with 30 grips at a very low price. I use them 2-3 weeks before I replace it with a new one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always use towel-grips, and buy it in large rolls at the time. At the moment the color is pink =)

I find the towel-grip best reasoned by the sweat-absorption, and it's fairly easy to improve the absorption with some grip-powder.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by christoffer
    I always use towel-grips, and buy it in large rolls at the time. At the moment the color is pink =)

I find the towel-grip best reasoned by the sweat-absorption, and it's fairly easy to improve the absorption with some grip-powder.
    i also use towel grip and buy it in large rolls. i am not using pink although (couldn't find that colour). i find towel grip is far more effective because it molds to your hand alot more than a PU grip.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone recommend the cheap place to get a roll of 30 supergrap?

Quote Originally Posted by chickenpoodle
    for the last little while, i've completely stripped all the grip, and use only 1 layer of super grap applied right onto the wood. i like it more and more, as i use it.
    i think its time to invest in a reel of 30, of supergrap, since it wears out much quicker now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm now using an Ashaway overgrip, I bought a box of about 50 for ~30, I don't know what I like about this grip but it feels perfect to me . its cheap as well although really its false economy because it isn't a durable grip

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fast3r
    I'm now using an Ashaway overgrip, I bought a box of about 50 for ~30, I don't know what I like about this grip but it feels perfect to me . its cheap as well although really its false economy because it isn't a durable grip
    has your plastic on the handle come off your airblade's yet?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lindanfan
    has your plastic on the handle come off your airblade's yet?
    The original plastic? No, its seems to be a durable plastic and the overgrips arent sticky so its stil intact

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fast3r
    The original plastic? No, its seems to be a durable plastic and the overgrips arent sticky so its stil intact
    durable plastic is better than cling film, i saw the first person i no using cling film yesterday at my club and it doesn't look that great

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default transferred from e-1000 thread

Quote Originally Posted by silentheart
    Please review your classic physic. Balance point = center of mass. By shifting center of mass closer to handle, you are... You know the answer...

Quote Originally Posted by Gollum
    No, please review your classic physics

Shifting the centre of mass is not the issue. What matters is the moment of inertia about the fulcrum.

Don't forget that there is a difference between linear and angular momentum! For a badminton swing, we are really interested in angular momentum.

[QUOTE=Gollum]I'll draw a diagram to make this clear. Consider an arbitrary lever balanced horizontally like this:

The lever -- or see-saw, if you like -- is balanced. The left mass exerts a moment of (2kg * 4m) = 8kgm. The right mass exerts a moment of (4kg * 2m) = 8kgm.

(I assume here that the lever itself is massless, or a point mass! Not realistic, but it's just an illustration).

Now, let's add a massive 100kg mass directly over the fulcrum:

No, please review your classic physics

Shifting the centre of mass is not the issue. What matters is the moment of inertia about the fulcrum.

Don't forget that there is a difference between linear and angular momentum! For a badminton swing, we are really interested in angular momentum.
    i'm well aware of silentheart's intended meaning about extra mass around the fulcrum, whether exactly centered around the fulcrum or not because the overgrip weight usually is quite minor.Statically, gollum is very correct however dynamically silentheart is more correct. On a pure technical perspective, extra weight around the grip (~5 to 10g) does shift the center of mass of the racket. Unlike the weights system shown in your diagram, a racket isnt statically balance at the grip because it is not a true fulcrum, u must hold onto the grip or else the racket will tip and slip out your hand. By reducing the center of mass radius with extra weighted grip, one reduce the angular inertia as well.

that said to clarify gollum and silentheart's differences of interpretation relating to the extra grip, my reason is not related to added weight of overgrip at all but rather something more intricate and harder to explain I have to think more about it. Hint: it also explains preferences of people to big vs small grip, more comprehensive Beside, we're dwelling into O.T.
    Last edited by cooler; 02-02-2006 at 11:49 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default In Topic

No, I don't think the angular inertia is reduced.

Granted, the situation is more complex than a static system. But the principles are precisely the same; I don't believe the complicating factors change the qualitative analysis.

We have a tendency to model objects' physical behaviour using their centre of mass. Often this is harmless, but not here.

Adding weight to the bottom of the handle has no effect on the (relevant) moment of inertia, despite changing the centre of mass. And I'm convinced that the moment of inertia is what matters here.

But you're right -- we're way off topic. I'll stop now
    i think common sense and real world test says bigger/heavier grip area does change the feel dynamically as compared to a similar but unaltered factory racket. For example, if you wrap the grip with a 1 lb (lead ?) strip of overgrip, i can assure u the racket swings differently. The cneter of mass and moment of inertia will be all changed from that of a unaltered factory racket. The racket will feel like very head light. At static, the fulcrum is located at the balance point, not at the grip. Dynamically, the grip mid-point is axis of rotation. Fulcrum isnt a good representation of axis of rotation because most dynamic system aren't symmetrical.
    Last edited by cooler; 02-02-2006 at 06:53 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cooler
    By reducing the center of mass radius with extra weighted grip, one reduce the angular inertia as well.
    are you confusing two different things?

2nd moment is sum of mass x (distance from axis)^2
    if the axis of rotation stays in the same place (i.e. you hold it in the same place) then adding weight anywhere can only increase this value.

holding near the cone reduces it, and holding near the butt increases it, because you are moving the axis.

see also Overall Weight vs Balance
    Last edited by Neil Nicholls; 02-03-2006 at 02:24 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but I agree that a different size grip can make it feel different

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast