The Search For The Ultimate Grip

Discussion in 'Grip' started by cooler, Feb 5, 2001.

1. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    get a grip

Well, we've done racquets, strings & shoes already. What about grips? what do you guys use? I use prince. Which prince grip? i have to go home and check.

2. Brett

Brett Regular Member

Re: get a grip

I also use Prince grips, albeit tennis racquet grips. They are very tacky, work well when sweaty, last a long time and are reasonably priced. They are a bit long, so I have to cut some off the end, but that takes only an extra 30 seconds or so.

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor

yeah, i use Prince grip as well. they are also branded as Fleet grip. as least, the Prince and Fleet grips i've bought looks and feels exactly the same. i even got the same type of allergic reaction from them... :)

i started using Alpha grips lately. it is also a "leather" type grip. less shiny and a little bit thinner than the Prince ones.

anyone use towel grip? i used them back when i was in high school, but they get dirty very easily and they are not as easily changable like the leather grips.

4. Don

Don Regular Member

I use karakal extra tacky grips and wilson cusion-aire over grips. I personally like the karakal grip because I only have to wrap 1 layer as oppose to many wilson overgrips to achieve a very comfortable size. I also use karakal for squash which makes the transition from badminton to squash less troublesome.

5. David

David Guest

I like the Yonex Super Grap Model A440. This grip provides good cushion, abosorbent and tackiness. However, you have to change the grip often because it loose tackiness very fast.

6. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT

I use grips from Mizuno. They have much better feeling than Yonex however they are not durable. There are Japan made and PRC/Taiwan made version of Mizuno grips, and both of them are very difficult to find in Hong Kong (again, Luxis has them). I found that both version are similar except the Japan made version is more expensive and having more variations (in color, style, etc.).

7. OJ

OJ Guest

I do

I use towel grip, and have done so for a number of years now. I belive I have tried every brand and model around and still the good ol´ towel is the only one that does it for me. Wy? Simply because it helps me keep a loose grip instead of a firm. That give me a better feel for the shuttle. As for lastability I´d say its not as good as most other types of grips, but they are reasonably cheap. I also use yonex carbonex series, so I guess I´m old school in many senses.

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Re: I do

hmm, i might give towel grip a try myself.

9. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad

Fleet is a company that gets most of its products from other companies, just by cloning them.

10. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad

I use mostly Ashaway grips. I use the Ashaway Super Grip. Its really cheap and sticky but its only down side is that it isn't very durable. Needs to be changed about once every month.

11. T

T Guest

I also use towel grip. I agree that they get dirty very easily and are not as easily to change, but for anyone who's palms sweat alot. They are indeed better.

12. Don

Don Regular Member

Ever looked at towel grip under a microscope?

I was curious to see how sanitary my equipment was and was suprised at the results. My regular tacky grips and bacterial fungus growing on it, but enough to cause any danger unless you basically licked it. Then I took a look at my towel grip and boy was it horrible, there was some sort of fungus that was growing on the grip. Apparently this fungus was giving off spores, and well you can figure out the rest. I've since switched fully to tacky grips and will never touch another towel grip again. I've also seen towel grips with some sort of white fungus growing on it, after a few days.

13. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Re: Ever looked at towel grip under a microscope?

Bleh - that really makes you think... And how about your wrist bands? Come on, SURELY you don't wash that after every session, do you guys? Well, I don't. I wonder what lives there. No, please, I don't wanna know!

14. cooler

cooler Regular Member

where i live is consider dry in summer and very dry in winter. I also plan to change it more often if i decide i like towel grip

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Mizuno racquet grips

I got a few of these recently from Luxis (where else).
    Previously, I tried the Fleet tacky grip. OK initially but after a few sessions with the very hot and humid conditions, out went Fleet.
    Then I tried a yonex grip (thick type), Has a ridge running along it with holes in the ridge. Actually, the tactile feel was excellent...in the beginning. Again, after a few sessions ---> into the bin.
    So back to the Mizuno grip. It is a thin grip with a thin strip of sponge that runs down the centre of the wholelength on the underside (rather like a monorail). When wrapped around the grip of the racquet, it produces a slightly irregular surface good for tactile sensation. The grip seems to last better than the Yonex or Fleet grip. Not sure if that sponge absorbs some of the perspiration. I have an ordinary thin grip wrapped around the wood of my racquet and then this Mizuno grip on top of this.
    So far so good. But it is expensive. I think it's a direct import from japan.

16. Jeff

Jeff Guest

What grip are u using???

I was wondering what brand of grips you're using. Right now I'm using Yonex's super grap and I'm considering changing to the Yonex Towel Grip but I heard so many bad complains about it, especially the amount of sweat it absorbs over time. Is there any grip that feels like a sponge but won't add much weight to a racket???

Thanks!

17. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad
    Re: What grip are u using???

I personally don't like towel grips, i tried it only once before and i really hated it.

I'm currently using a Yonex Kush Tec grip. Not the longest of lasting grips but its good enough for me.....

18. Avatar

i have tried only a couple of grips over the past 14 yrs.
    yonex towel, grap, tournagrip, kush tec, prince, and some no name.
    the towel was only good for a very short while. most ppl who wanted to use towel is because they have a lot of sweat, like me. in general, if you have lot of persperation, grips will not last long for you. the towel grip has the lowest durability of all! probably 2 night's of play! i don't like it.
    the grap was ok, as i am still using them. it does has some spongyness to it to absorb minor shock which the towel doesn't.
    tournagrip is really great for heavy sweaters. they are light weight as well. their price is virtually the same as graps, may be a buck more. it really absorbs persperation well, but it doesn't last all that long. may be 2-4 months . this is the best grip for sweaty hands i find so far. the best thing is that it DOES NOT SLIP in sweaty palms.
    the prince also has grip that is similar to the tournagrip. but i forgot it's name. i m going to try it next as my tournagrip is finished.
    kush tec is very nice and spongy. it's a nice grip if you love thick grip. i only tried this grip for a night's play long time ago, so i can't remember now.

19. Simon

Simon Guest

Thanks for your input!

20. marshall

marshall Regular Member

Computer Security Manager

Tournagrip. Pkg of 3 grips is $4 US, does not slip, as Avatar said, and is available in the sports dept. of big chain stores. Also, tournagrip is thin and doe not change the size of the handle very much. I tried thicker grips a few times, cush types, but could not adjust to the feel of the racquet in my hand.

I agree with Avatar's comments also.