Popped shoulder from smash

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by Sen5es, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Sen5es

Sen5es New Member

Two weeks ago when I tried to do a jump smash where the shuttlecock was a bit behind I felt like my shoulder popped out for a couple of seconds and went back in. After practice I'd get shoulder pains when I raise my arm above my head.

A week later it didn't hurt as much but there was still a little bit of pain left but not much.

Yesterday, I tried to do the same thing (accidentally) but this time it popped out again and when I landed it hurt so much I couldn't move. When I moved it, I could literally feel my shoulder snapping back into place. Now when I move my arm slightly above my chest it hurts. Has anyone had this problem before?

I'm going to see my doctor this coming Wednesday and would just like some advice beforehand. Thank you very much!

2. visor

visor Regular Member

What you're experiencing is shoulder subluxation, which is a less severe form of dislocation. The difference is that in the former the joint dislocation is short-lived and reduces immediately and spontaneously, ie. within few secs, whereas the latter is severe with damage of surrounding ligaments and muscles and requires medical/surgical intervention for reduction.

You better get some physio and exercises to strengthen your shoulder muscles. Some people are born with a tendency for the shoulder to sublux, especially when reaching up and out, eg. sitting in the drivers seat reaching behind the front passenger seat to get something. By strengthening the muscles, you can protect and prevent it from occuring so easily.

3. blindaim

blindaim Regular Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#3 blindaim, Apr 4, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  4. blindaim

blindaim Regular Member

What are the symptoms of a dislocated shoulder?

• The injury is usually acute, caused by direct or indirect trauma such as a fall or forced abduction and external rotation.
    • There is a sudden onset of severe pain, and often a feeling of the shoulder 'popping out'.
    • The shoulder will often look obviously different to the other side, usually loosing the smooth, rounded contour.
    • The patient will usually hold the arm close into their body and resist abducting and externally rotating the shoulder.
    • If there is any nerve or blood vessel damage there may also be pins and needles, numbness or discoloration through the arm to the hand.
    • There is usually quite severe pain associated with a dislocation.
    What should the athlete do about their dislocated shoulder?

Immediate treatment for a dislocated shoulder has two stages. Firstly to protect the shoulder joint and prevent further damage (e.g. rest in a a sling), and secondly to seek medical attention as soon as possible. The shoulder should be reduced (put back in) by a trained medical professional as soon as possible, never attempt to pop it back yourself as you may cause further damage!
    Ideally an X-Ray should be sought prior to reduction to rule out fractures. If this is not possible a post reduction X-Ray must always be sought.

#4 blindaim, Apr 4, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  5. blindaim

blindaim Regular Member

6. blindaim

blindaim Regular Member

7. blindaim

blindaim Regular Member

8. blindaim

blindaim Regular Member