Difference Between Overgrip and Replacement Grip?

Discussion in 'Grip' started by BadmintonBoy, Dec 26, 2002.

1. BadmintonBoy

BadmintonBoy Regular Member

Can someone point out the difference?

Does this mean First layer overgrip and second layer Replacement right?

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Overgrip: Just an extra layer of grip over the original grip. Mainly just to make the grip size a little bittle larger for better feeling. Most overgrip only has tape at the end of grip.

Replacement grip: I use this, only when the original grip on the wooden handle worned out. Therefore, 1st i tear off the original grip, then, put the new replacement grip. Most of replacement grip all tape throught out the entire grip. But sometimes, I did see some ppl just put on the replacement grip without tear off the original one. Guess maybe they just want the extra thickness?

3. BadmintonBoy

BadmintonBoy Regular Member

LazyBuddy Thank you for replying.

When i bought my Mp55 i took off the original yonex grip.

Now i am only using a replacement grip and it feels a bit too thin for me.

Can i wrap and overgrip the place an replcement grip on top of it to increase thickness?

4. TOmike

TOmike Regular Member

Student
    ya, to make it more comfortable, wrap an overgrip over the replacement grip for more feeling, or comfort

jaywangsa likes this.
  5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

Sure. Actually, if u think 1 layer of overgrip is still too thin for u, u can even wrap another layer. Therefore, 2 layers of overgrip will surely increase the grip size a lot.

Once, I even saw someone putting a total of these 3 layers of grips = original + overgrip + towel grip

6. ayl

ayl Regular Member

Professional procrastinator
    Wow must be like a tennis racket grip! Shock absorbent but can you get any feel and control outta all that stuff on it? ;)

7. XpAnDaZnX91

XpAnDaZnX91 Regular Member

i guess u can i wouldnt know cuz i just 3 overgrips instead of the towel grips and stuff

8. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    i never knew the difference of these grips. learning something new today i guess :D. all my playing life, i only knew of the replacement grip that as lazybuddy mentioned have tape throughout the length of it. i have never used other grip other than towel. recently, i changed my grip on an old racket. the original grip has disintegrated. leaving me with a blacken wooden handle. there's a question coming, hold on...:D so i changed to a new towel replacement grip. of course the comfort is lost a bit. i dont think i have ever seen an over grip. maybe i never looked hard enough but it seems there's only replacement grips. the question is, does an overgrip have "overgrip" stated on the packaging or do you just know? how to spot the difference?

9. Linus

Linus Regular Member

Manager
    Leen, it is quite clearly stated on the pacakge actually (at least all those that I saw!).
    For most brands, Yonex included, the package indicates it is either Replacement Grip or Overgrip.

10. azabaz_ipoh

is second to badminton
    oh, i have to go and take a good look again. he eh he. ignorance is bliss. ha ha aha. Thanks Linus :). so overgrip we just change once in a blue moon and replacement grips are the ones we change frequently. seriously i never knew that. :D

11. Linus

Linus Regular Member

Manager
    Quite right. Besides just putting it as a easy-to-change grip over the original factory grip, I would also consider overgrip as:
    (1) something to help you to adjust the grip size to suit you. Because they are thin, you can try 1 layer or 2 layer etc until you feel comfortable.
    (2) a fashion/decorative item to the racket to match the colour scheme to the racket!!! The latest overgrip I saw even has flowery pattern printed on it!
    (3) provide a different feel on the handle, some overgrip is "wet", some is "dry" or some is "extra tacky". Different people may like different feel and allow them to be more sensitive when adjusting the grip during play.

12. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    I think you got it the other way around. Overgrips such as the thin YY Supergrap has no adhesive and is designed to be replaced more frequently than Replacement grips such as Prince T.U.F Re-Grip (which does have adhesive and is thicker).

Overgrips are supposed to be wrapped over the original grips while replacement grips are supposed to replace the original grip.

13. azabaz_ipoh

is second to badminton
    okay i am confused now. so a towel grip, that's a replacement grip right? it goes over the original grip right? and towel grip we change when they're either smell too bad (never so far in my case) or got too bald to give any grip traction. so in this scenario, where does the overgrip goes? do i put that under my towel grip? and if so, wouldn't it made it impractical to change the overgrip more often than the replacement grip? :confused:

14. Linus

Linus Regular Member

Manager
    Leen, the towel grip you have can be used as both (i.e. you can use them as over grip or as a replacement grip because they are thicker than normal synthetic over grip). All towel grip will come with adhesive tape along the whole length of the grip.

As what you have described in a seperate thread, you are putting them over the original grip, so you are using the towel grip as a overgrip. That's perfectly fine.

The differences on the adhesive tapes as mentioned are for synthetic grip only.

Donot worry too much if the grip is actually a replacement or over grip. The key thing is that after applying them, you like the thickness and the feel of the grip. That is all that matter.

I have tried taking out an original factory grip, and then put on 3 layers of synthetic overgrips without using replacement grip, and it works fine too.

15. azabaz_ipoh

is second to badminton
    right! now i understand. so basically i am only using overgrip right? if in the future i decide to get rid of the original grip, put something synthetic overgrip on the handle and then put a towel grip on top of that, then my towel grip will be the replacement grip. did i get it right? :D maybe in the future i will consider putting overgrip on the handle once the original grip disintegrate on my newer racket because that one is G5 while the other one is G4.

16. Linus

Linus Regular Member

Manager
    Yes! You go it. You can do anything you like as long as it works! By putting an synthetic overgrip at the base (replacing the worn out original grip), then add a towel grip definitely will work.

As you are replacing the original grip with a thinner synthetic overgrip as base, the final thickness (after applying the towel grip on top) will change. So suggest you wrap the towel grip without taking out the adhesive tape to try out if you like the thickness.

17. azabaz_ipoh

is second to badminton
    :D thank you. i will. but so far i think the yonex towel grip give me the thickness that i like. and it is a bit coarse. just nice for me. appreciated all the advice. :)