pre-tournament preps

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by saifiii, Apr 3, 2010.

1. saifiii

saifiii Regular Member

i have got an inter regional tournament comin and my big problem is nerves. when i play a tournament, i often over hit the shuttle,into the net or long. what you say would a good relaxing exercise. although it may be a good thing, but the tourny adrenaline makes me extremely quick and that often places me around the shuttle in places where my hitting is not comfortable. say my opponent drop shots me, im already there at the net and faced with the awkward choice to play a net-shot or a kill and i end up playing it short. does that happen to anybody else

2. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    Been there, done that lol, I was like that about 6 months ago, I was told to calm down a lot!! lol

1 thing you can do is prepare for any badminton either practice or match in the same way. Ave a routine so your brain knows its time to play badminton.

My routine is, I get ready, get shorts on below tracksuit bottoms, badminton tshirt on, get drink prepared, shoes in my bag. I do 5 mins of mental rehearsal just before I leave, I do a checklist so I know I have all my stuff, I hop into car and get focused. I say positive things, tell my brain its time to kick butt and then I do a (LIN DAN) anchor which I have done through hypnosis just before I leave the car

I do this each time I play whether for a match or a club nit. Your telling ur brain its all the same, whether its practice or match, I do the exact same, a match is nothing special

So try making a routine that u will use all the time. All the pros do it. Only thing is it will take a while for your brain to adjust to it (cud be a month or 2) but once it does you'll play a lot better.

Also with regards to nerves, try some breathing techniques to help calm urself and picture in your head, you playing perfectly but calmly.

Hope this helps

3. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Just focus on the shuttle. Don't over run to the net. Hit the shot higher if you can do it. Put a higher tension. Just chase and return the shot. Once you get the hang to it, it'll come easy. Good to do more sparring. ;)

4. saifiii

saifiii Regular Member

a little more feed-back guys, i think ill go to my club today with the intent to win every point and place some psychological pressure on my self and see how it goes.

5. drop2it

drop2it Regular Member

Part-Time Student, Full-time Badminton Fanatic
    When I play seriously, ie at a tourney, I try to let my mind go blank of everything, and just react on instinct/habit/training - whatever you want to call it. I tell myself that I've hit every possible shot hundreds of time, and that I've hit them well. With this in mind, I can relax and reach a level of focus where my instinct/habit/training takes over. Pregame, I like to listen to classical piano music on my mp3 player. I use classical because there are no lyrics to distract me.

6. saifiii

saifiii Regular Member

we won it easy..........!!!

7. bowi12

bowi12 Regular Member

student
    I've played my first real tournament a while ago. I was playing in the single and the double. I had to play my single on the count in the center of the hall. And there were a lot of people there. Most of them were probably not watching me, but it still made me very nervous for the first few points. I was already behind from the start. I also lost the match, so it was the last match aswell :(.

But I have a new tournament coming up in a few weeks. I hope I can do better this time. I'm gonna try to play the best I can. I try that most of the time, even during training matches.

8. session

session Regular Member

Badminton coach