Do you always leave the original grip intact?

Discussion in 'Grip' started by London_Player, Apr 4, 2010.

1. London_Player

London_Player Regular Member

admin
    Hi Guys,

I have a problem with adding additional grip on top of the original grip, as the grip size gets bigger, so I tend play with the original grip but find sometimes it hurts my finger.

So Do I take off the original grip and fit a more comfortabel grip, which one do you suggest?

Or do I fit another type of grip on top of the original grip, in a special way that it doesn't get too big? and which make and model do you suggest.

I'm planning to purchase NS9900.

2. Tamagi

Tamagi Regular Member

Me like Karakal PU Supergrip on bare wood. :)

3. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    I think most people either:

A.) Use a thin overgrip (eg. Yonex Supergrap) on top of the original factory grip, and then replace just the overgrip.

B.) Remove the previous grip completely, and replace it with a grip of the preferred thickness (you could even replace it with an overgrip like Tamagi does, but then it would feel very hard).

It just depends on how thick and soft a grip you prefer.
    Personally, I like Yonex WaveGrap :)

4. okieoutie

okieoutie Regular Member

IT
    I definitely second that:)

5. David_Allan

David_Allan Regular Member

same either pull a replacement really tight or just rip of the original and put on a new one

6. Tamagi

Tamagi Regular Member

Well, the Karakal PU Super Grip is more of a replacement grip. Thick, self adhesive and very tacky. And they are cheap in England but pretty expensive here in France :mad: Just received a box of 24 from the UK at half the french street price…

7. b.leung

b.leung Regular Member

that's why you buy from england straight!
    i bought a box and it's half the price even after shipping
    I like a g5 grip with original grip, thin overgrip (nano 60) or original shrink wrap, and finally the karakal pu super grip thickness good, comfort is great, and the tackiness is there

8. dyrtla

dyrtla Regular Member

i prefer the first. thats why i buy G5 yonex size instead of G4.

9. ralph_lee

ralph_lee Regular Member

I normally remove the original grip and put one a thin layer of tape.
    Like the one cover the new PU grip one will do.
    Then I will put on the replacement grip on the size I like. :)

10. blackvictor

blackvictor Regular Member

If you're going to purchase a ns9900, make sure it's G5. Then leave the original grip on, and add a overgrip. (I recommned supergrap AC102 EX by Yonex)

11. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Second! KSPU (or one of the 1.9 RK's I'm getting from Dink) straight onto a G4's wood is perfection.

12. s0nnay

s0nnay Regular Member

I only leave it on if its G5 and overgrip. Usually I use towel so I take off base add ac102 stretched and 402 on top. If G4, not so keen on using it but little slow sanding the wood to cut out the edges, If G3 I sand a lot of wood off to make it close to G4-G5.

13. chongkiatz

chongkiatz Regular Member

before i place a new grip on the wood , i would like to use electric tape to cover over the wood 1st (just a layer), otherwise , the grip's glue will attach on the wood when we removing the grip and it's hard to clean.

so everytime when i remove the grip , the glue will only attach on the electric tape and i have to remove the elctric tape and it won't damage to my wood =D......and i always got a clean WOOD =D !!!!

#13 chongkiatz, Apr 5, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  14. yankiat

yankiat Regular Member

Usually, I remove the original grip and use the transparent plastics (from the replacement grip) to cover the wood WITHOUT a gap, then only put on the replacement grip. It works just fine and the wood stays clean whenever I change a replacement grip. Hope the link helps! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pek-bQudjtA

15. London_Player

admin
    Thanks a lot friends for your input.

In the past I used to add towel grip, which now is hard to find and is dying down, at least in the amatuer players over here.

16. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    I always remove the original grip and then replace it with a black Karakal PU super grip. Of course, there's nothing wrong with doing things any other way and really, it comes down to personal preference. Generally speaking though, those who use thicker grips will replace the original but people using thin overgrips will usually wrap it over a replacement grip or the original grip. A while back, I played with just a Yonex overgrip over the bare handle of a racket. It was quite good and felt really connected but it was harsh and so, wouldn't be to everyone's tastes.

17. ace9988

ace9988 Regular Member

ive done it both ways, the carlton (doubles) i took of the "black tape" grip and put a karakal PU duo, its thin enough for manoeuvrability and comfortable enough in my hands too although im still looking for something tackier (i know its out there coz ive seen it before)

the apacs i left the original grip on and 1 overgrip wouldnt do the trick for me so i had to put two and it feels better now

18. London_Player

admin
    I wasn't aware of the handle size, I think in the UK, they normally sell G3:confused:.

Is that bad?, should I insist on G4 or G5?. At Central Sports they only sell G3 handle rackets.

19. SmashThat

SmashThat Regular Member

yes i leave it intact beccause it suits me more,i know ppl that take it off though.

20. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I think you're right in that only G3 can be found in UK; my Yonex rackets are now all imported, so I have access to G4 this way - my NS9900 and Z-Slash are both US code 3UG4.

It's definitely worth asking if CS can get hold of a smaller grip - they can only say no. I can cope with G3, but G4 is much preferable as it lets me have both a thin and a squashy grip (if that makes sense). Worst comes to worst you can always sand the wood down - it's not difficult at all.