Cure for Stiff Shoulder

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by giant_q_tip, Apr 4, 2010.

1. giant_q_tip

giant_q_tip Regular Member

so i was told by a coach that the power of my shots are sometimes diffused because i have a stiff shoulder.

so i relaxed my shoulder and i saw a difference.

after practicing today, i realized that my stiff shoulder is not only a badminton error (in terms of technique) but its present in everything i do.

i was brushing my teeth and realized that i push my shoulder up (i guess to get the toothbrush closer),

when i talk on the phone, i raise my elbow (and shoulder) so it sticks to the side.

this also applies when typing on the keyboard.

im sure all of you do this too sometimes in your daily routines, but realizing this "stiffness" (no pun intended), i really want to get a cure because now my shoulder and arm feels uncomfortable and heavy at times.

so can someone recommend how i can cure this with going to a doctor as a last resort (pricey pricey and have no insurance)

maybe a daily self-massage on the shoulder area?

#1 giant_q_tip, Apr 4, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  2. ralph_lee

ralph_lee Regular Member

Try this exercise. I have stiff shoulder as I am working in IT line.
    1) Relax both your hands and let it down as nature.
    2) Raise your both shoulder up.
    3) Throw your shoulder and both hands down.
    Try to do in a pack of 15 times, you will feel tired on shoulder but u will notice it get relieve.

3. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Since a doctor is a "last resort", you might ask your coach or a trainer to watch you from behind as you abduct your shoulders fully from thigh to above your head. Maybe you have an unusual scapular motion that can be remedied by toning exercises.

But your problem could also be with your acromioclavicular joint, tendonitis, bursitis or just bad posture. Get anyone who is familiar with sports injuries to examine you to see if this is habit or pathology. Good luck:)