What to Do when Strings Break

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by TOmike, Dec 28, 2002.

1. TOmike

TOmike Regular Member

Student
    i was just wondering, what do you do when strings break? i hear that people cut them, some people just leave them, and some people don't know when they break. So what do you do? and, please explain your procedure, if it is indeed cutting them.
    Are racquets in danger of warping at any tensions? (ie. 20lbs doesn't warp, 26lbs does warp). Is it imperative that one cuts his/her strings immediately?
    thanks.

2. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Racquet Services
    In my opinion cutting strings immediately after string breakage is very important especially if you want to prolong your racquet life. The more stress that is placed on your racquet the shorter the life span of your racquet. I forgot to cut the string off my Ti-7 after breaking the main strings and after i finished my badminton session i noticed a hairline crack at the top of the racquet head. When i brought it to my local stringer he told me it had broken and it did indeed break. Now that i do have my own stringing machine i tested my ti-7 at 20 and sure enough it was more than just a paint chip it was like the stringer i asked before said a break.

On the other hand there are people that repair just a part of the string to save some money on restringing the entire racquet however your risking your racquet.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Nick

3. ivan

ivan Regular Member

Student
    can someone explain this theory for me plz? I thought only the moment when string breaks has the most stress on the racket head. What makes it possible to dmg a racket when there is no tention on it (except intentional clash)?

4. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Arrrrrr

Actually, it is the sudden loss of tension that can damage the racquet. While a particular (main or cross) string breaks, tension across the racquet becomes uneven and the resulting fluctuation in tension creates stress on other parts of the racquet. So cut the string asap!!!

5. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

i string my rackets at 26 lbs...

when the strings break...i cut all the stings starting from the middle and then out vertically..then cut horizontally middle then out.

by doing this, ur still keeping the tension balanced as close as possible...

hope that helps?

6. ivan

ivan Regular Member

Student
    oh... i got it.. thanks :D

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Typically, I cut my string right after it breaks, regardless of what the initial tension is. Think about this, 20lb * 20-23 strings = 400+ lb on ur frame. Therefore, the frame can be badly dmg if the force is not applied evenly.

So, cut the string from the middel to the side, and do all of them asap.

8. ayl

ayl Regular Member

Professional procrastinator
    what to do when a string breaks?

I usually stare at the break, curse and think "man! there goes another $15 bucks and an hour of labour before bed!"

Then I cut the strings immediately, from centre out, main string first, as subscribed by Yonexfanatic. ;)

9. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

I start like ayl and swear a bit first ;) then I look at the break and try to work out whether it broke because I'm crap, ie if it's near the frame it's probably my fault, or the string was just worn, then I cut the strings.

Unlike the others though, I cut my strings diagonally, and have gotten a few funny looks for doing so :)

The reason is that if you just cut say the main first, with the cross intact, the racquet is being pulled into a more narrow shape than intended, if the cross is cut first then vice versa. If you cut diagonally the pressure is released equally and the racquet stays in more or less the desired shape.

10. zerochillnet

zerochillnet Regular Member

At first I stare at my racquet and swear.. I've just seen that this is a real popular move too!! Then I cut the strings at the side of the racquet, and just before I get the stringer to string the racquet I try to buy the best string... after thats all done I wonder if I suck or if I smash too hard??? That goes on for several days;) :p

11. |BLAI|

|BLAI| Regular Member

wat to do when your string snaps!!!!!!~

i heard taht wen you string snaps some times your racket break with it, and that if you leave the string in the racket, the racket will change shape?
    i know you have to cut the remainding strings, but is there a specific order you have to cut to prevent it from bending and wrapping?

12. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    If your racquet is strung at a very high tension, some care should be used when cutting the strings, otherwise it doesn't really matter.

Here's a previous discussion on this topic:
    Frame distortion

13. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Re: wat to do when your string snaps!!!!!!~

When I cut string, I cut at the intersections (cut a main and cross at the same time), and switch between left and right alternatly. Therefore, the "path" is more like a "V" after the cut.

14. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I will cut the strings rightaway as i strung my racket at a very high tension 28 to 30lbs. I will usually cut the cross middle and main middle before cutting the rest. :)

15. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    I remember when I was little, I used to cut off all of the rest of strings and take all of them out when a string snapped. Then, I would put my head in between the frame (not kidding!) and walk with badminton racket on my neck:eek:

Anyway, you should cut off the rest of strings though.

16. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Re: Re: wat to do when your string snaps!!!!!!~

Forgot to metion, the starting point is around the middle (when counting main) lower (when counting cross) part of the racket.

17. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Whenever I break a string regardless of the tension, I'll cut it immediatly. I do start in the middle and grab as much strings with the scissors as possible and cut the rest, grab the spare racquet and hop back on the court.

18. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i still do that.................................. ;)

but seriously, we all know that if a broken string is left alone on the racket, there is a potential of damaging the racket, so it should be cut soon after the string snaps. however, is there a "correct" way to cut the string that would minimize any potential damage? does it matter?

19. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

My coach usually starts cutting the string from the middle going out. So he cuts the vertical, then horizontal and keeps alternating. Not sure if that's a good way though.

20. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    The best way I know so far, is to cut stings in diagonal.
    This way, you are cutting the intersection of the vertical and horizonal strings, and thus, you are cutting them in the same time.

"X" is what it will look like after done :)

However, you can cut like " / " and it will still work since " / " cuts every single string on the frame. (from 8 o'clock -> 2 o'clock; diagonally)

PS:
    "X" on the strings tells me "not " to use this racket for now:p