Enforcing rules in non-tournament badminton.

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by PyourK, Apr 5, 2010.

1. PyourK

PyourK Regular Member

I have noticed that a lot of rules are not enforced enough/ambiguous.

Here is the 2 that I am most concerned about:

Service: 2 of the biggest faults that i see.

1: serving above the waist. I often see people serving at chest level! :eek:
    2: racket pointing up/horizontally. (doesn't happen as often, but the result is a very "drive-y" serve that often results in not preparing enough and a weak return.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    My 2nd concern, and the one I am more concerned about, is when an opponent does a rather high drop, and instead of trying to defend, they bring their racket right up to the net to attempt to block off the choices of shots that you can do. (a fast low drive is somewhat effectively cut off) and the more annoying part is that I often notice this and find myself somewhat distracted by this action. It is very difficult to explain to them that this action is distracting, and they will often argue/disagree.

How should I go about these issues?

2. druss

druss Regular Member

You can't "enforce" rules in social play... who's going to enforce them?

Basically, you play on the honour system and hope that everyone else does the same. The only way to really "enforce" a rule is to inform the player that he/she is breaking a rule and ask them to stop doing so. If they don't then there's not much you can do... hopefully shame and guilt will stop them.

I've had to tell people about the second issue in a few different cases, keep in mind that most social players actually don't know all the rules of badminton. Just informing them, is in many cases, enough.

Keep in mind that I'm only talking about the case where their blocking actually interferes with a swing follow through, not the whole "distraction" issue. To be honest, if that distracts you then you need to focus more. I actually find that anyone who trys to block a net shot in that manner is an idiot as it puts you in a bad position to return a cross court drop.

3. PyourK

PyourK Regular Member

Noted, and thanks, guess I'll just have to teach em w/ the cross court XD.

High serves are more common though, and more and more people do them.
    I am just wondering: do most of you forgive and take it as a challenge? or actually take the time to point it out?

Thanks

4. druss

druss Regular Member

Depends on the environment. To be honest, it doesn't bother me too much. Look at how much the professionals push that boundry as well. Also, most people I play with are quite short so it's not like they can serve down or even very flat. I'm one of the taller players in my club and the regulation net is right at my chin level, a legal serve from me is about the same as an illegal serve (2-3") from someone 5'-6" or so... I just don't care enough to comment in most cases.

I will make a joking reference sometimes though.

5. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

it's hard to enforce rules over serve, especially, if it is over the height of the racket during serve. Especially in a game without an umpire. I serve quite high on the waist, some have said it's over the waist, but the only match I have played with an umpire present told me that my serve was legal, when my opponent complained.
    In a recent tournament, me and my doubles partner, were playing against good opponents, and we had dropped the first game, (something like 21-18 or around that) then in the 2nd game, I realized that one of them was serving with their foot on the line, but instead of taking the point of them, I just alerted them politly to what they were doing, and played a let, they did it I think twice more, but again just played a let, I didn't want to create a bad feeling between us and them, and they seemed happy enough to play a let. Me and my partner eventually won, which was good, the match took about 50 mins or so.
    (I don't think they had the feet on the line intentially, just they didn't check their feet before serve)

6. maa2003

maa2003 Regular Member

it is very hard to tell especially old people who just play for fun .....
    so, I just let them do what they want, but if for competition, of course I will explain to them.

7. alexh

alexh Regular Member

Ha! You could say it's hard to tell young people, they already think they know everything...

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    1. If you feel comfortable to play with ppl doing such, play and use it as a challenge for yourself.

2. If you do not feel comfortable to play with them, simply go to play with ppl who are honest and following the rules. ;)

There's almost no right or wrong in social play, just as any sports. Do not worry too much, and enjoy your own development.

9. NoRice4U

NoRice4U Regular Member

Student
    Imo, you should just play with actualy badminton players because they will surely know the basics. I intentionally gave up on one of my friday night social because it was just sh**.

10. druss

druss Regular Member

You mean there are fake badminton players out there????

Who you choose to play with is entirely up to you so choose well.

11. kkmh2

kkmh2 Regular Member

Undergrad
    LOL my thoughts exactly! and to add to your point druss, no harm playing with amateurs every once in a while just to have fun - social wouldn't be called social if all the players are club/county level now would it :)

12. yippo888

yippo888 Regular Member

Therapy Radiographer
    playing social club actually gives you a different perspective. the pace is usually slower, but they are some WIERD shots. and i find these can sometimes keeps you on your toes. u need to think outside the box, because the technqiues of club members arent great, and the shuttle really can go ANYWHERE!.......

also i find playing with people that dont have great tactical and court awareness makes you appreciate your partner more. u realise maybe if u make certain moves how much ground your partner may need to cover, or the extra pressure it actually outs on ur partner, but u dont realise it because they can usually make a return, but a novice maybe wouldnt.

my coach at uni always taught me whoever u play, u should play to thrash them. only that way will they learn. it will actually force them to raise their level of play. but for yourself as well it teaches you to keep your concentration and make sure you are consistent as well:)

13. alexh

alexh Regular Member

That's a fine attitude if you're playing regular club members who are already committed to the game. (I wish I had more opportunities to get thrashed by stronger players!) But please don't do this with complete beginners. The only thing they will learn is not to play again.

14. yippo888

yippo888 Regular Member

Therapy Radiographer
    @alexh
    yeh i know mate! i guess only within reason. if they have problems even hitting the shuttle then tbh you would just give them a high shuttle. but i guess thats where you have to pick and choose your clubs.

15. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    could not have word it any better!!!!!