Benefits from using a Powerball?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Pilkie, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Pilkie

Pilkie New Member

Hello everyone - 'long time reader, first time poster'. Anyway, has anyone ever used a Powerball to improve their badminton? Did you see any noticeable changes or effects from using it? I've recently started using one, and I believe it's helping me, giving me more power from less backswing / more strength in the 'flick'. However this might be coincidence as I've been practicing my technique recently as well. Theoretically, it should strengthen the wrist and forearm giving more power in the flick, making it possible to smash and clear more easily. It might also help with a backhand. Does anyone have any decent 'techniques' to train with it? I've been using some of the ones from here: http://www.actionball.co.nz/exercise.html But I don't have a proper routine, so if anyone has one that they'd like to share it'd be appreciated. For those who don't know, this is a Powerball: http://www.powerballs.com/ [​IMG]

2. Pilkie

Pilkie New Member

I'd also like to reassure everyone that I did put formatting in the original text - paragraphs etc, but apparently they were deleted.. Also I can't seem to see an edit button anywhere..

3. scuttler

scuttler Regular Member

I love my powerball, it definatly helps strengthen the wrist but dont expect any quick noticable improvments. Movment is similar to badminton shots so there is hope. Perhaps a good routin would help.

4. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    I use a powerball only when I have Tennis elbow and it helps restrengthen it and lowers my recovery time. I only use it lightly to recover on my right arm, and hard on my left to try and build it up.
    Just my personal opinion, others may find it doesn't help too much.

5. sarath_031

sarath_031 Regular Member

Student
    Does it help in building the slow muscles or fast-twitch muscles?

6. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

Any store in Singapore selling the powerball?

7. JustinG

JustinG Regular Member

I've used it before. I minor gains in finger and palm strength...I guess if you're bored or want to have a little fun you can do it.

8. Genghis

Genghis Regular Member

There was a store that rented KangaJumps near the bike rentals in East Coast Park that sold them. Not sure if the store is still there though as I moved back to NY last year. I own a Powerball but I don't find them as effective as doing figure 8's with a training racket.

9. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I made the experience that since I use my powerball my backhand and forehand became stronger. But this took more than a year of training.

10. Orangie

Orangie Regular Member

http://www.powerballs.com.sg/newsite/products/category/1/250hz-range

Husband and wife team. Last I know they do not have any store in sg due to high overhead. Sorry, can't remember their names. Last bought from them is a promotion pack of 5 in 1. They do home delivery & do demo. Just send them a email. Btw, that was more than a year ago. Good luck!

11. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

Got it. Thanks.

12. decoy

decoy Regular Member

I use mine for 7 minutes a day like it says on the box and it definitely helps. It's low impact so you can use it to recover from tennis elbow/ RSI etc. for pure strength there are better alternatives ie. wrist curls and such but to be honest the powerball is more fun.

13. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

I have contact powerballs.com.sg and will meet them this Tues. What are the other alternative equipment?

14. decoy

decoy Regular Member

You can just use a dumbbell to do curls with your wrists. Similar to how people use then for their biceps.

15. Cheetah

Cheetah Regular Member

Student
    well if you wanna use the powerball, I would recommend to not do it like slowly even if you're not trained yet try to be as fast as possible. training with the powerball is good, it certainly improves your wrist, BUT only good for badminton as long as you do it fast.

missclicked likes this.