need thoughts on my workout/training routine (i created myself)

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by giant_q_tip, Apr 7, 2010.

1. giant_q_tip

giant_q_tip Regular Member

im not a fitness instructor, nor am i even close to a national player (just a local player).. but for 1 year ive been doing these exercises on a weekly basis in hopes of becoming better in the sport (im 19):

always 15-20 min stretching

monday- jump rope, body weight squats & lunges & kangaroo jumps all until tired

then i do shadow training (footwork) in a public park

tuesday - weight training with dumbells, focus on biceps, triceps, shoulder. then practice swings and more shadow training

wednesday - jump rope, and shadow training + practice swings

thursday - the same as wednesday*

friday - play

saturday - play

sunday - (sometimes) play.

so i go to school and work, and when i commute i try to finish reading assignments or read ahead so ill have time to workout and maybe some free time to do whatever i want.

and i only play 2-3 times a week. and 5-6 hours per day, and well progress is very slow since im not being coached and im learning by myself. ive been playing for 3 years all self taught and some through youtube videos. i want to improve my progress (as like everyone in this forum im sure)

it would be great if anyone can help me by suggesting what i should and should not do in my training, what should i take out. :)

oh and on a side note, i found this online today and im thinking of putting it to practice

http://www.badminton.tv/sites/badminton/media/books/better-badminton-for-all/chapter-3.pdf

2. waiwai8

waiwai8 Regular Member

Policy & Research Coordinator
    i think this is an excellent start and i think u play quite often actually. im not a fitness expert but im sure there are lots of experts who can advise u. but i have started a thread myself that maybe of interest to u in terms of other aspects in improving your game. heres the link ...

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1412068#post1412068

hope u'll find it useful

wai

btw thanks for the training guide uve provided a link

3. Luka89

Luka89 Regular Member

If you can, I would mix it up abit.

Combine the playing and the workouts.
    I would rather see a structure like
    Workout
    Play
    Workout
    Play
    etc.

Don't forget to rest also!

In your workouts your doing kinda standard things now. I don't know what you do when you're playing. Are you training on a certain shot or etc.

I would make like 2 standard full body/endurance workouts and 2 special workouts in wich are excersises of the things you want to improve.

So for example, if in you're playing your focussing on a jump smash. I would do exercises in the special workouts like: dumbbell squats, jump squats, one legged squats, one legged jumps etc. to improve your jumps.