Yonex Aerosensa 20

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by crazyboy139, Dec 30, 2002.

1. crazyboy139

crazyboy139 Regular Member

Being the only feather shuttles I can get my hands on, I bought a tube of 12 today.
    I noticed a sticker on the blue lid of the tube, it says "3" and in small letters "Yonex" under it. Also a "3" was above the barcode on the side. Next to it, was another tube of Yonex Aerosensa 20, it looks the same, but the sticker had a "4", and there was a "4" on top of the bar code. There was around 10 tubes of "3" and 2 tubes of "4". I was just wondering what the difference is between the tubes "3" and "4" :confused:

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
  3. crazyboy139

4. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    You should be able to get more different brands of feather shuttles out in T.O. like sea lion, hi-qua, victor, lee's, etc.

5. crazyboy139

Its weird

everywhere

they sell the plastic mavis 300s

or some really crappy plastic THING

the only time I saw feathers in a store
    was national sports

they only have as-20, so thats y :)

I guess I could drive an hour up to some store in another location for better birds, but nah... I'm a noob, as-20 is fine :)

6. TOmike

TOmike Regular Member

Student
    i kinda like playing with plastics now. they don't beat feathers but they're better than nothing when you have no money for shuttles.

7. eggroll

eggroll Regular Member

sales
    Hey Crazyboy,

The number on the end of the tube indicates the speed of the shuttle. 4 for sealevel. 3 for warm,dry days at sealevel or altitudes slightly higher than sealevel, 2 for most parts of Canada, 1 for areas like Edmonton at higher elevations and 0 for Calgary. Yonex also makes for National events in Calgary negative 1 or 2's.

Hope it helps

#7 eggroll, Dec 31, 2002
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2002
  8. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Negative 1 or 2!!! That's amazing. Is -1 or -2 for summer with high temperature? Air pressure must be very low then?

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

Mavis 300 is crap??? Hmmm... Personally, I like it as a replacement for feather. Most time, I use nylon birds to warm up/practice, and use feather ones (if have some) for serious games.

To me, AS-20 is good, but kinda pricy, maybe u can consider doing a large mail order of other brands (Victor Champion, Sea Lion, etc) online something.

10. eggroll

eggroll Regular Member

sales
    Response to Petelsd

Negative 1 and 2 were used in Calgary for the Canadaian Nationals two years ago and when the major International players were there in 93-94. The altitude is 3600 feet and the air is very dry here. The time of the year doesn't seem to matter for the shuttle. The shuttle is typically the AS 50 and is handmeade.

11. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    No wonder! Thanks Eggroll for your response. The air must be thinner than in Vancouver.

AS-50 is a very high quality bird. Do you have a source to get a huge discount on a box of AS-50? Something like CAD$23/dozen or less for an entire box? Payment is in cash.

12. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

Re: Re: Yonex Aerosensa 20

Major sporting stores don't carry these, so people who don't live in Scarborough have to take a long long ride up for badminton gear. There really ought to be at least one badminton store somewhere in Toronto city...!

13. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    when playing at the club, we usually use up about 2-3 as20, as30 shuttles per game vs. 1-2 as50 shuttles per game. So in the long term of things, buying the more expensive as50 is actually more cost effective.

14. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    JWU,

Do you have an idea of how much your club is paying for AS-20 and AS-50 on a per dozen basis? Your club purchase at large quantities so a big discount is possible.

15. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    the club does not provide shuttles, I wish it does but it doesn't, and we (the players) bring our own shuttles in to play. However people occasionally travels and whenever someone finds their way to asia, they usually take some orders and bring back a box or two fo shuttles for sale at relatively low price.

16. Winex West Can

Hi Tech
    Ouch! We use both Victor Champion (green) and Winex Tournament (green) at our club and the rule is one new bird per game and you can use any number of seconds. The seconds are basically slightly used birds with all their feathers intact and flies well. We get the Victor shuttles from Tad's Sporting Goods at a very good discount since Tad himself plays at the club and the Winex direct from me at cost (since I play at the club too) :D

17. Winex West Can

Hi Tech
    Re: Re: Re: Yonex Aerosensa 20

Hmmm...true, the only stores that I know of in TO is Lee's, Brown's. Other stores like SportsChek only carry the Mavis series.

When I was playing at George Brown College, there is a guy who comes by every so often with Hi-Qua blue shuttles to sell at $17/doz.

18. eggroll

eggroll Regular Member

sales