Working out a rackets specs?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by tjayuk, Apr 9, 2010.

1. tjayuk

tjayuk Regular Member

Hi I want to work out the exact specs of some of my apacs rackets as i know they can be off spec although im not exactly sure how to do this.

I guess the weight can be done on any sort of scales but how about balance points and grip size?

Thanks
    tjay

2. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    Weight:
    Using scales obviously. I believe most manufacturers state specs for an unstrung racket with the normal factory grip, but I'm not certain. As you are no doubt aware: 4U is 80-85g; 3U is 85-90g; 2U is 90-95g.

Balance:
    You just need to balance the racket on something (the edge of a cd case works quite well), and measure the distance from the point at which it balances, to the butt of the handle. BPs are measured in millimeters: <285mm is head-light; >295mm is head-heavy; any thing in between is evenly balanced (those are just vague guidelines btw).

Stiffness:
    There isn't a universal method for measuring stiffness (although SOTX's method is becoming quite widely used). If you have several rackets though, and just want to compare their stiffness with each other, it's quite easy to do. Just clamp the handle to a desk, tie a weight (I use a small car stereo speaker) to the top of the frame (or shaft), and then measure how far the racket bends.
    I found it interesting to note that a really cheap graphite racket from about 10 years ago, is actually stiffer than even the very stiffest of rackets produced today.

Grip:
    Measure the circumfernce of the handle with a tape measure - unfortunately, I can't actually remember the conversion to Yonex "G" sizes, which would have been the useful bit. To be honest though, I think you can probably trust them to get the grip sizes right.

3. tjayuk

tjayuk Regular Member

Thanks Sketchy I kind of know it was an obvious question but good answers especially for the stiffness and balance - i will be doing all my rackets tonight in the meantime i have a new apacs tantrum 200 to try and ive heard good things so excited!

4. dyrtla

dyrtla Regular Member

weight = self explanatory, weigh it.
    usually its weighed without the string, with original grip, i believe.

balance point, put the racket on the edge of the desk, so that the frame part is sticking out. Go as far out as it allows you to. Measure from handle to the point.

shaft stiffness is very subjective. what i do is just bend the racket and see how easily, or how much it bends...
    btw, rackets get less stiffer as it age :(.