Who here can play singles all day long, no probs?? Need ur help

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by gingerphil79, Apr 10, 2010.

1. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    I wanna get really fit for badminton, I mainly play mens but also play mixed and singles. The prob right now is my fitness isn't good enough for the singles. I can play about 1 hard game , I am fine, but 2 hard games and am pretty tired at the end. The 3rd game can be real hard!!

My question is how do you guys get really fit for singles. Do you do sprints, hills, skipping, play singles a lot, sumthing else??

Any advice would be great. Its my off season now so I have about 4 - 5 months before the start of the next season and I want to be super fit!!
    The guys I was playing against are barely even breathing at the end of a few hard matches while am almost dying lol :p

Cheers

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Partially it's about fitness, but partially it's about efficient footwork and strokes. And being able to anticipate the opponent's next shot. These come from the experience of playing more and more games.

Watch any of the men's singles matches with Lee Chong Wei, Lin Dan, Kenichi Tago, Peter Gade, and you'll understand better.

3. .spot.

.spot. Regular Member

Student
    You could do this Footwork Drill from the video along with other excercises like skipping, cycling, running.

The video with Peter Rasmussen is pretty boring, the actual drill starts around 2:00.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up5M-mirAcI

Also you cold hit fast drives against the wall continously, this helps your grip switches and your stamina, too.
    I recommend using a plastic shuttle for this $-)

4. ace9988

ace9988 Regular Member

stamina and endurance comes into it aswell

5. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    I'd agree one needs to work on fitness so one won't run out of breathe easily.

However, consider this. If you play someone 1 level (or higher) above you, do you think he beats you because of fitness or because of something else?

If you have to play some hard games to fight for a win, and if you see that you are not at the very top level yet, you may want to think about elevating your level more. All the hard work comes in because the skill levels (between you and your opponents) are too close. Increase the gap in skill levels and you'd find your games easier, and perhaps you don't need to emphasize as much on getting supper fit.

6. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    I also think that one typically drops in performance during matches (esp. for those who don't play "enough" tournaments). This is more of a mental thing. You tend to breath harder, heart rate higher, muscles tense up and cramp easier and earlier.

Imagine that you can manage your mental aspect (thus your physiological aspects) better, you'd be playing at your normal practice game level, while your opponent play at a "degraded" level.

But then this is more of a mental thing rather than physical fitness. How do you feel about your "mental fitness"?

7. ace9988

ace9988 Regular Member

yeh mental fitness has a huge effect...sometimes its just ur mentality that drives u to play more, even if ur body isnt upto it (happened to me loads of times) u just push and push and push

8. Many Ch0icez

Many Ch0icez Regular Member

Student
    I play forl ike 50-6 hours before my legs get tired the **** out

9. Many Ch0icez

Many Ch0icez Regular Member

Student
    5-6 hours sorry

10. gingerphil79

Sports massage therapist
    Mentally my game is fine, its great, always improving, my technical game needs works but I know that, but every1 is the same here but I want to know physically what I can do to get super fit for badminton so I cud run on court all day and not be tired.

Any suggestions??

11. Addict123

Addict123 Regular Member

Just get fit, there's no magic about it. If you can rule out the badminton specific things that have been mentioned up there, the rest is just cardio.

So... go running for mixed length runs (i.e., short distance, medium distance, sprints, intervals (google HIIT) etc.; no long distance runs though). Stop using elevators but use stairs. Go biking, hiking, swimming. Do regular high-intensity but no-weight workouts (i.e., push-ups, pull-ups, squats etc. - "no weight" only to save yourself the time for driving to a gym, you can get a pretty good workout in front of the TV; if you must, you can go to the gym of course). Play lots of shadow badminton.

Have fun!

#11 Addict123, Apr 12, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  12. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

There's the irony of the presented situation.

If you can sustain the similar effort for that long, you cannot have been giving anything close to your 90% of your maximum capacity. IOW, you would be performing at a much higher level if you had limited play to less insane durations, e.g. 1hr continuous.

As your fitness improve, you have a choice to prolong performance at the same intensity or to play at a higher intensity for the same duration. In a badminton match, there is very little point in choosing the former over the latter once you can sustain the limit of 59 points x 3 sets.

That said, all the advices given about improving footwork efficiency, shot anticipation/selection, and core fitness are all good.

13. Superstar

Superstar Regular Member

If your 3 games is like Li Dan vs LCW for 1 hours game, then your stamina is dam solid. Amongst all my players, my stamina is very solid. The basic training goes :- run 3 km under 12 minutes, take a 5 minutes break and do 4 X 400 m
    dash/sprint. Rest for a while and do sit up, chin up and star jump......

Sometime, do 5-8 km run......

This is to build the basic stamina only ........

I was told Lin Dan can run 55 sec for his 11st lap of 400m, you can????
    This is super fit.

cheers

14. saifiii

saifiii Regular Member

u just need to play a lot, then ull get used to it & play best of 7s

15. BethuneGuy

BethuneGuy Regular Member

Student
    Well depends. I don't think Lin Dan can play all day if he played to his maximum potential say against someone as good as LCW, which is what matters in the end. You can play all day, playing slow rallies against a weaker player, but is that really what you want? I say it's only normal you're tired after 3 hard games against someone your level, it means that it was a good game, and you should be tired.

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Meant to post this before but had problems with the computer.

1. Yes, fitness is an issue.

2. Yes, mental tiredness can affect your game

3. Can be other issues. Playing 2 hard games and being tired for the third.
    a) rehydration issues?
    b) pacing issues - learn to rest in the rally. Yes, it can be done!
    c) mental tactics - recognise that with a bit of tiredness, your play can be very precdictable but so can the opponents. Give a bit of variation on the shuttle flight that might make the opponent give you a weak shot. Spot the patterns that the opponent plays - the strong and the weak areas. After all, you've played two games already, so you *should* be able to recognise his style.

17. session

session Regular Member

Badminton coach
    Mental tiredness is indeed a factor (and a very important one). I have written an article about this subject that could be very helpful: http://www.squidoo.com/Psychological-tips
    But this doesn't do it alone... get out in the nice weather for a run unce in a while :) But anaerobic exercise is by far the fastest way of getting fit.

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    The other way to get fit. Play in an environment with the temperature near 30degrees celcius, 90% humdity and for a few hours. Oh, and no airconditioning! (singles as well)

19. ZXZ

ZXZ Regular Member

Student
    Are you telling me Lin Dan can run 55sec for his 11th 400m lap!? Sounds pretty crazy on the 11th lap considering the world record for 1 mile (just over 1600m) is 3:43.13 which averages out at over 55secs a lap! Lin Dan could convert to track and field and win a gold for China!

For the original question, I think you'll need to work on your power and core as well. This should enable you to bend a bit more to take a shot on the forehand instead of a back hand; get to shuttle quicker; hit shots harder. Being able to do those things will cut down the amount of time a rally could last, why run for another X number of shots when you could have got there sooner and already killed off the shuttle :D

20. gingerphil79

Sports massage therapist
    Monday is my day to start getting fit, getting faster, stronger, better!! Il be getting up and exercising before work and then exercising after work if I can.

I have a steep hill near my house which goes up for about 3 miles so il be running this, going easy, hard, sprints, interval, doing speed work, shadow footwork, skipping, weights, push ups, pull ups etc and also playing/getting coached 1 - 3 times a week to improve skills

I have about 5 months before the start of next season so am going to be super strong in every area! Let the fun begin!! :D:cool: