User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good pics. can't wait to see the Video, when you can upload it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just got back from US National's last last night and it was a fun experience. I got to watch a bunch of matches and finally see OCBC.

The tournament was run incredibly well. I learned OCBC has a restaurant in their building which is great for participants and players, and Alan K was on site stringing rackets. Eric from yonex had set up shop and I got to pick up some shirts on sale. The matches were on time and went smoothly.

Notable matches were the finals of course but also the semi’s with Chandra Kowi and Paula Obanana v Grace and Halim. Im always surprised by Halim’s power and how loud he hits. From what everyone told me you can’t hear your shots very well in OCBC because it’s a really big gym with high ceilings, but you can definitely hear when Halim is on court. Chandra had great defense, movement and shot selection, but Halim/Grace were too much for the younger duo. Eventually they would lift, and eventually Halim would smash it down. It was only a 2 set match but still very intense.

Finals were awesome, but not what I was expecting. I thought we would see Q Minh Nguyen against Hock Lai Lee, but Minh had severe cramps during semi’s against Sattawat. Sattawat won after 3 sets against Minh when he withdrew at 20-16 in favor of Sattawat. Finals were Hock Lai Lee and Sattawat and both games went to Hock. I was pulling for Sattawat since he’s usa no.1 right now. There was one let call mid match, which was obviously out. It sucks Sattawat couldn’t make the call himself. I think Hock even knew the shot was out, but the umpire wouldn’t give. Even the other line judge called the shot out but it wasn’t his line to call. There were 2 or 3 other points which Sattawat let the shuttle drop out but ended up hitting the line. Hock was up at that point and they went back and forth points until Hock won it. Great match overall, and I really enjoyed watching two of the best players in the US.

After the bad line call which was a let, it made me wonder about sportsmanship. It was quite obvious the shot was out, but the umpire wouldn’t call it. Hock got to serve again, but easily could’ve hit the shuttle out and forfeited the point. In soccer if there is a player down and the team isn’t in scoring position the athletes will kick the ball out to stop play. Afterwards they return the ball to the possession team. What do you guys feel about this in badminton?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by illusionistpro View Post
    Notable matches were the finals of course but also the semiís with Chandra Kowi and Paula Obanana v Grace and Halim. Im always surprised by Halimís power and how loud he hits. From what everyone told me you canít hear your shots very well in OCBC because itís a really big gym with high ceilings, but you can definitely hear when Halim is on court. Chandra had great defense, movement and shot selection, but Halim/Grace were too much for the younger duo. Eventually they would lift, and eventually Halim would smash it down. It was only a 2 set match but still very intense.
    ..i think that was the QF Rd. match on Saturday night. Halim & Grace played the Semifinals Rd. vs. Lee Hock Lai and Priscilla Lun on Sunday (you were chatting w/me, maybe that's why you got distracted)..

As for the sportsmanship issue (or lack of it in badminton), well, it also happens in other pro sports like NBA, NFL and MLB...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Why no XD final? who has it??

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

..is this Neil Davies??..
    Quote Originally Posted by powerdow View Post
    Why no XD final? who has it??
    ..of course the XD Final videos are there..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you Chris great vids

Haven't seen you at ABC anymore, do you hang out more at LABC now?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default off topic-wish i can afford membership for 2 clubs..

..i'm still hanging out @ ABC, my membership is still there until this July...then after that, who knows...maybe i'll head on over & play @ the new SGVBC2 in Pomona and meet you there..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2