Badminton @!#$ talkers

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Zclyh3, Mar 9, 2001.

1. Zclyh3

Zclyh3 Regular Member

Not employed during academic school yeah
    Ok...as some of you all know..I still go to high school. A player from a another high school (whom shall be nameless) is a football player who also plays badminton. He started talking @!#$ against my friend. He also said that my friend and his partner didn't deserve to go to NCS. (NCS is North Coast Section which is a competition that spans from Fremont to Santa Rosa and completes against top players from different leagues. What do you do against @!#$ talkers? I mean..@!#$ talkers who REALLY talk @!#$ and can't stop talking @!#$. They think they are all that and seems like they want to pick a fight. My friend really wants to play him and take him out. So...any commentary to deal with this situation? Oh yeah...the hater is also a smasher..(no..I didn't play him and plus..he plays mixed and I play singles and mens doubles)..I can't wait to go to their high school and my friend beats the crap out of their men doubles. I'll keep you posted...and I'll actually bring my camcorder..hehe..oh yeah..please keep in mind that if we get into a fight..we will be kicked off the team and we can't walk our graduation ceremony. But we ARE tempted for "the hater" to hit us and get it on tape so he will be in jeopardy..hehe..thanks for the comments.

2. Zclyh3

Zclyh3 Regular Member

Oh yeah..please excuse my profanity. You guys should be able to figure out what the "@!#$" means...(shiet)

3. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    No offense, I actually find trash talkers amusing.
    You gotta keep an open mind, that people have their own opinions, and it's a free world out there.
    Let your words be expressed through your actions on the court.
    When I was in highschool, kids were tooting their horn about how awesome they are at badminton. I didn't say anything at all, I just said I play a little... (little 3 hours a day, training, 4 nights a week.)
    When we finally got our chance to play... my doubters were all silenced, as they were struggling to pick up their jaws off the ground, in awe of what a dedicated badminton player can perform like. After that... I had kids asking me to train them... blah blah blah... I'm drunk right now, so I'll stop typing.
    Hope this helps.

4. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    I normally just prove trash talkers wrong. Sometimes its just unlucky having 1 of them in your team or around.

But sometimes, thats just the way life is.

5. Phil

Phil Guest

I find the best way to show trash talkers up is just to challenge them to a game and then beat them. Even better is to always hit it to their weak spot, so they get frustrated.

Of course, it's always annoying hearing them say after how it wasn't their racket, they were too tired, the racket was too heavy, the shuttle was crappy, blah blah blah.

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Yeah, but if they don't know their mistakes, they'll never learn to correct.

My approach would be to be silent and then deadly..........

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    cheung, i hope i don't bump into you in a dark alley. :p

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    You know i'll faint if you pull out a ti racket on me :(

9. Brett

Brett Regular Member

Tony, most trash talkers are trying to make up for some insecurity they have about themselves. Once you realize that, it makes it a bit less difficult just to ignore their childish comments, which is what you should try to do. It's not always easy, but it's the correct thing to do.

If you play one of these dorks, try to play completely by the rules and be a good sportsperson. If they make a good shot, compliment them on it. Some of them will calm down and realize that you are an ok person if you play perfectly fairly and decently. Some of them won't, and the best advice is, as others have mentioned above, try to beat them and then act gracious about it afterward.

The worst problem is if the person is a trash talker and has a good enough game to back it up. In those sorts of cases, you can do one of three things: get better and beat the jerk; don't play the guy anymore; or just ignore him. Don't get into a fight.

The real key to dealing with these people is to make sure they don't get too much under your skin. If you let them, they will take you out of your game mentally and cause you to lose, even if you are the better player.

It's not easy dealing with people who make you angry, but being able to control your anger and not let it fester for hours, days, weeks and months is very important if you want to be a happier person in life. I think the recent school shooting incident at Santana High School in your state shows the importance of not letting bad situations get you too mad and making sure that you let any anger dissipate quickly. That ridiculous wacko student, and all of the ones who came before him in this rash of school shootings in the past five years, are clearly people who were treated badly by jerks and who didn't deal with the situation properly by managing their anger.

Good luck.

10. Zclyh3

Zclyh3 Regular Member

Don't worrry Brett...I'm not angry..besides...it's not my problem. My friend just wanna beat him at his own game. He REALLY wants to play him.

11. vince

vince Guest

Brett, are you a preacher or a former preacher by any chance?
    No offense, just curious.

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Trash talking can influence your desire to win so much that your tatical thinking may be affected.

13. Brett

Brett Regular Member

No, I'm not even religious. I'm just a person who has become disgusted with the recent trend of youths and young adults in America being completely unable to control their tempers or to think ahead more than five minutes into the future.

On this topic, am I correct in assuming that the Columbine High School shootings in Colorado and the Santana High School shootings last week in California made international news? Has anything similar happened in Canada, Europe or Asia in the past decade or so, or this this just an American phenomenon?

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

If it does happen in other parts of the world, it's kept pretty quiet.
    The frightening thing is that I now regard as a normal part of American culture (me being an outsider)

15. vince

vince Guest

Violence is everywhere, not just in the good O USA. There are few incidents here in Calgary too but of course is not as big as Colorado. If you have a apple tree, you don't expect all apples to be good, do you?

16. Zclyh3

Zclyh3 Regular Member

You can give thanks to the 2nd Amendment for all the school shootings. You can also give thanks to the people who kept on teasing that 15 year old kid AND his father not locking up the guns. Which reminds me, you guys should go check out Badminton Alley in Sunnyvale. The shop may be small, but it's pretty dope. Asby is ok, it's just that BA is badminton and BADMINTON only..

17. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    you went? i was going to pay a visit today, but didn't have enough time. it is great coz it is much closer to my home now. :)

18. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    Hi Tony.... I sympathise with you, but y'know what's worse than $%^&* talkers??? Corny ppl who keep thinking that everyone's out to pick on them and continually refer to the "injustice" that has been done. I referred to someone's All-England prediction as a "flagrant pro-China bias" (jokingly) and that person has been alluding to my msg ever since (on the worldbadminton forum). It's as if I haven't got anything better to do in the world and am juz going around on discussion forums, picking fights with ppl. What the heck.... I even tried to make my other replies more lighthearted to ease the tension but no, she just wouldn't give up.

Apologies to all Chinese fans who read this... I didn't know my EQ was THAT bad... maybe Byro knows =P

19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

What do you mean by "dope"?

20. Brett

Brett Regular Member

Unfortunately, it is now becoming a normal part of our culture, as a result of the excessive media coverage. There are now apparently websites memorialzing the two Columbine HS killers that a lot of these disgruntled teens visit for inspirational purposes. The problem is that far too many kids these days end up with inadequate parenting.

Can't really think of a tie-in to badminton, so I will sign off.