grip tightening technique on overheads

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by amleto, Apr 11, 2010.

1. amleto

amleto Regular Member

what is the correct technique for this? Currently I am holding the racquet more with thumb and index finger and then tightening my last three fingers, but a friend said he recently saw some material that said it should be the reverse - hold more with the bottom fingers :confused:

I think this seems to be more like what I'm doing than what my friend thinks:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIe5...7DD8B0278&playnext_from=PL&playnext=3&index=8

about 1.30s - but I'm not sure what she's saying.

2. shubhanan

shubhanan Regular Member

Graduate Student
    I believe you should hold the racket with your little finger more than really any other... when you keep the upper fingers (along the racket) free, you get more swing back. slight release the little finger so that the racket falls back, and then tighten all the fingers to get the finger power whip.
    None of the fingers really always holds the racket very tightly; but the little finger holds the racket most of the time.
    So I think it should be reverse of what you do. :)

3. amleto

amleto Regular Member

I think what you said describes what I do. when I release pressure with my little finger, the 'pivot-point' is where my thumb presses the racket into my palm - just under my index finger.