Indonesian or Chinese Style Smashing - need help deciding

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by blackvictor, Apr 11, 2010.

1. blackvictor

blackvictor Regular Member

Currently, I have two very good coaches; one is from Indonesia, and the other is from China. I learn a vast majority of techniques from these great people but the problem is they sometimes interlace with each other.

I've learned that the Chinese Smash is hit with the racket head slightly diagonal and indirect. Whereas the Indonesian smash is hit flat-on. I'm sure a lot of you have seen them both; e.g. taufik hidayat vs. Lin Dan so I won't bother explaining too elaborately.

The problem is deciding which one to use. A lot of the time, there is a lot of hesitation on which one to use. Every time before I go out and play, I wonder which style to play with.

Would anyone be able to comment on the advantages and disadvantages? Example: Which one would be more powerful or accurate?

Thanks.

2. visor

visor Regular Member

I don't think Lin Dan hits it at a slight diagonal... more like he's using a lot of forearm pronation, but at the moment of impact, I'm sure it's flat on.

Here's a compilation of smashes in slow mo, so you can see better what I mean.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKC1Depuf6Q

Maybe get both of your coaches to play each other and whoever wins is the style you should select...:p:D

#2 visor, Apr 11, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  3. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I don't think there's such a thing as the "Indonesian smash" or "Chinese smash".

For maximum power, you'd want the racket facing in the direction of the smash at the moment of impact. If the racket is angled instead, you get a sliced smash. Sliced smashes are a variation you can use to upset the rhythm of your opponents' defence: the shuttle will fall farther in front of them than expected.

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Lucky you to have two good coaches.

I think you have to use what's best for you since you have a choice and both seem equally effective for you. I would go for the one that fits in with the rest of your overheads i.e. drops and clears. No point in doing a different action that the opponent can use to predict your shots.

5. paulstewart64

paulstewart64 Regular Member

Marketing Consultant
    Totally agree with Gollum.

You need to decide if your current technique works for you. If your technique is fine and you get good results, don't mess with it.

Paul
    www.badminton-coach.co.uk

6. uncle_peanuts

uncle_peanuts Regular Member

student of badminton
    why are you asking a badminton forum what the difference is when you have 2 coaches to learn from?

7. BethuneGuy

BethuneGuy Regular Member

Student
    Maybe the Indo smash is more doubles and the "chinese smash" is used for singles.... I get what you are saying though. Do whichever one works for you.

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i wouldn't call it INA or china smashing but try to learn and use both styles.
    It never hurt to have more ammunitions.

9. ploppers

ploppers Regular Member

I think there might be a misunderstanding. I do know that a lot of chinese coaches teach people to contact the bird at the upper left (For RHanded) corner of the racket instead of the centre. This is how they find an efficient point between pronation and supination of the forarm. I personally felt this was better for me, but it's difficult to always hit it on target

10. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Why not use a Malaysian smash instead? :D After all, TBH was the one with the highest smash speed :p:D

Smash alone would not improve your overall game. Why not choose the style.

Chinese style is different from Indonesian style. Chinese players are faster and stronger. Indonesian players are very skillful and deceptive. Which style suits you?

Better yet, choose a coach that you feel more comfortable with.