User Tag List

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default question re string tension

Out of the 22 mains, all are tensioned to 25 lbs with exceptions of 2 are to 27 lbs by mistakes. Will that 2 lbs difference stay on until it breaks? If so, how? Just by friction! Or will they all balance up to 25lbs and a bit eventually, or instantly?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the reason i asked the question is that i read some stringers put more tension on the first few mains, some more on the first few crosses etc. If they are going to balance out after a while, what's the point?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It'll just spread over the mains. Depends on the stringer also as there could be a loss of tension from slack on the knots. Anyway I don't think its a big problem if the stringing quality is there, and won't snap because I tried it before.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that's what i suspected that the tension should balance out between knots. If so, what's the point to have difference main/cross tension as some suggested for the 1 piece, 2 knots stringing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a bit confused to your first post, but generally speaking, the mains are longer distance than the crosses so they should be tensioned higher, 2 piece.
    However the crosses holds the mains and in a sense prevents it from moving, prolonging string life.
    For 1 piece, I generally use the same tension, sometimes slightly higher for the crosses but not by a huge difference. The outcome is the tension spreads out across the stringbed once it has settled.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you use constant pulling machine, and then the difference in tension will mostly be balanced out. However, if you use crank machine, then I assume the degree of "balance" will be less.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AlanY View Post
    Out of the 22 mains, all are tensioned to 25 lbs with exceptions of 2 are to 27 lbs by mistakes. Will that 2 lbs difference stay on until it breaks? If so, how? Just by friction! Or will they all balance up to 25lbs and a bit eventually, or instantly?
    Which 2 are those? the 2 at the ends or a random 2. If it is at the ends Id say: "this is what I do always". It allows u to compensate the slack due to tying the knot.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by s0nnay View Post
    I'm a bit confused to your first post, but generally speaking, the mains are longer distance than the crosses so they should be tensioned higher, 2 piece.
    However the crosses holds the mains and in a sense prevents it from moving, prolonging string life.
    For 1 piece, I generally use the same tension, sometimes slightly higher for the crosses but not by a huge difference. The outcome is the tension spreads out across the stringbed once it has settled.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiloo View Post
    Which 2 are those? the 2 at the ends or a random 2. If it is at the ends Id say: "this is what I do always". It allows u to compensate the slack due to tying the knot.
    sorry about the confusion, it was a hypothetical question. what i really wanted to know is will all the strings balanced out to have similar tension eventually.