User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Regular Member AlanY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,438
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default question re string tension

    Out of the 22 mains, all are tensioned to 25 lbs with exceptions of 2 are to 27 lbs by mistakes. Will that 2 lbs difference stay on until it breaks? If so, how? Just by friction! Or will they all balance up to 25lbs and a bit eventually, or instantly?

  2. #2
    Regular Member AlanY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,438
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    the reason i asked the question is that i read some stringers put more tension on the first few mains, some more on the first few crosses etc. If they are going to balance out after a while, what's the point?

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    UK / HK
    Posts
    68
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    It'll just spread over the mains. Depends on the stringer also as there could be a loss of tension from slack on the knots. Anyway I don't think its a big problem if the stringing quality is there, and won't snap because I tried it before.

  4. #4
    Regular Member AlanY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,438
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    that's what i suspected that the tension should balance out between knots. If so, what's the point to have difference main/cross tension as some suggested for the 1 piece, 2 knots stringing?

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    UK / HK
    Posts
    68
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'm a bit confused to your first post, but generally speaking, the mains are longer distance than the crosses so they should be tensioned higher, 2 piece.
    However the crosses holds the mains and in a sense prevents it from moving, prolonging string life.
    For 1 piece, I generally use the same tension, sometimes slightly higher for the crosses but not by a huge difference. The outcome is the tension spreads out across the stringbed once it has settled.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    New York, US
    Posts
    10,283
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    If you use constant pulling machine, and then the difference in tension will mostly be balanced out. However, if you use crank machine, then I assume the degree of "balance" will be less.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mauritius
    Posts
    307
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlanY View Post
    Out of the 22 mains, all are tensioned to 25 lbs with exceptions of 2 are to 27 lbs by mistakes. Will that 2 lbs difference stay on until it breaks? If so, how? Just by friction! Or will they all balance up to 25lbs and a bit eventually, or instantly?
    Which 2 are those? the 2 at the ends or a random 2. If it is at the ends Id say: "this is what I do always". It allows u to compensate the slack due to tying the knot.

  8. #8
    Regular Member AlanY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,438
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by s0nnay View Post
    I'm a bit confused to your first post, but generally speaking, the mains are longer distance than the crosses so they should be tensioned higher, 2 piece.
    However the crosses holds the mains and in a sense prevents it from moving, prolonging string life.
    For 1 piece, I generally use the same tension, sometimes slightly higher for the crosses but not by a huge difference. The outcome is the tension spreads out across the stringbed once it has settled.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiloo View Post
    Which 2 are those? the 2 at the ends or a random 2. If it is at the ends Id say: "this is what I do always". It allows u to compensate the slack due to tying the knot.
    sorry about the confusion, it was a hypothetical question. what i really wanted to know is will all the strings balanced out to have similar tension eventually.

Similar Threads

  1. String Tension Question
    By Dr.Dino in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 13
    : 03-14-2012, 07:22 AM
  2. Question regarding string tension
    By JoshuaCYS in forum Badminton Rackets / Equipment
    Replies: 3
    : 09-03-2011, 08:53 AM
  3. Question about string, tension and string durability
    By Batu_Khan in forum Badminton String
    Replies: 10
    : 07-22-2008, 12:11 PM
  4. Question about string tension
    By john10235 in forum Badminton String
    Replies: 2
    : 04-03-2005, 03:25 PM
  5. Question on string tension
    By Lime4677 in forum Badminton String
    Replies: 3
    : 05-14-2003, 03:04 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •