upgrade from carbonex 8

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by spirited, Apr 14, 2010.

1. spirited

spirited Regular Member

hi folks,

i got a carbonex 8 sp from the late 1990s and i was wondering what racket i should upgrade to?

im more of a offensive player and i like to smash

probably looking at ti10 or muscle power.. oh btw, a little bit tight on the budget also.. haha

anyone got anything to recommend?

2. Charlie Liu

Charlie Liu Regular Member

Engineer
    What is your budget? Do you want to try isometric head or stick to oval head?

3. dyrtla

dyrtla Regular Member

ti-10 3rd gen is prolly good if your low on budget.
    if you dont mind other brands, its going to open up your choice.
    panda, apacs, sotx etc.

4. -Berg

-Berg Regular Member

You like your Carbonex 8 SP so much?

Then go for Carbonex 35

[​IMG]

5. s0nnay

s0nnay Regular Member

If tight on budget, i'd say cab21sp.

6. -Berg

-Berg Regular Member

can't agree more. Cab21SP is the benchmark before Cab30MS replace its crown and now it's time for Cab35 to be replace Cab30MS's crown

7. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Bearing in mind your previous racket I assume the choice is a once in a 15 year event:rolleyes:, then I think you would have to consider only a classic racket. I agree a ti10 would be a good choice, but you need to know you are comfortable with an isometric after so long playing with a oval.

If sticking to a cab racket, then a cab30ms would be a good choice, good quality, plays well, should last in your capable hands!

This thread make a change from the "I've had my Arc10 2 days & think its time for a change pls reccomend" thread:D:D

8. Many Ch0icez

Many Ch0icez Regular Member

Student
    GO FOR THE Z SLASH ^.^ Kiddin ;) No go for something in the Cab ranfe or try a muscle power 45 Something that plays fine ;).

9. spirited

spirited Regular Member

hey guys, thanks for the reply..

but i got a question, might sound kinda noob though,

what is the difference playing with an oval and isometric head?

10. Many Ch0icez

Many Ch0icez Regular Member

Student
    Oval = Smaller racket area (hitting area). And isometric = bigger string bed. ALTHOUGH when you hit the sweet ssweet spot I believe as of what I have heard you produce more power.

11. spirited

spirited Regular Member

hmm so u mean from the oval shaped head, if i manage to hit the sweet spot i can produce more power than the isometric head?

Are there other things which differentiate the head shapes? As in control this sort of things?

12. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    The idea behind Isometric rackets was that the sweet spot, or the point at which optimum power can be provided to the shuttle is bigger, so therfore easier to play & hit powerful shots more often.

However the bigger the sweet spot, the less effective that sweet spot is, so an oval racket has a smaller sweet spot, so is harder to play with, but more power.

I woudl say control is mainly in the hands of the player, string & the rackets overall characteristics, however it could be argued you would get better control with an Iso racket, since you are less likely to mishit.

13. spirited

spirited Regular Member

hmm ok thanks alot james for the insight.. probably thinking of getting a mp series..

14. s0nnay

s0nnay Regular Member

mp99 ftw.....15

15. Charlie Liu

Engineer
    There are many models in Muscle Power, ranges from MP2 (S$20) to MP100 (>$200). The performance varies widely. Hence the choice depends on your budget.

If you are looking at around S$150, may be you want to consider the following good rackets:
    Apacs Lethal 70 (around $130 with bag)
    Apacs Tantrum 300 ($130)
    Victor Superwave 35 (around $160)
    Victor Superwave 33P (around $140)
    Victor Artery Tech Ti-99 ($110)

You can search this forum for the reviews and discussions on the rackets above.

16. spirited

spirited Regular Member

heycharlie,
    thanks alot for the prices..

by the way, have u heard of the brand sintec?
    is it good?

17. Charlie Liu

Engineer
    Sintec is a local (Singapore) brand. I think like Apacs, Ashaway, Flymax, etc. it makes Yonex clones. But I am not familiar with its various models, and some of the models are not cheap.
    Apacs's own (non clone) models such as Lethal and Tantrum series are good. You can refer to the thread
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39002&page=130

If budget is really a constraint, you may want to consider Apacs Nano 900 (a clone of Yonex AT900) which I think is about S$80. But by paying about $40 more, you can get Lethal 70 with a big Apacs bag. You can call Classic Sports, Mr Soh 91555492 to see if he can order any of the Apacs model for you.

#17 Charlie Liu, Apr 16, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  18. spirited

spirited Regular Member

hmmm i see.. so its a local brand...

ok how about quality wise? i heard they are almost identical to their yonex counterparts and also using almost the same type of technology as the yonex rackets..

i was wondering if the material and quality check is high because i wouldnt want to get a racket which breaks or warps easily..

19. jockey

jockey Regular Member

UCT student
    cab 8sp is a medium flex racket and most of the rackets metioned are stiff and may not suit you. i'de recomend apacs nano 900 power white.

you are the one that will play with this racket. get one or two from friends to try and decide.

20. Charlie Liu

Engineer
    I do not know much about Sintec, hence cannot comment on its quality.
    Many people around me uses Victor, Apacs, and some high end (i.e. expensive) Yonex (>$200). Mid range Yonex is surprising rare. There are a few who use Zelm and Sintec. So far in the last half year, I have not seen any racket breaking in front of me (although I am a beginner :eek:, there are some good players :cool: around me). Do choose one which uses High Modulus Graphite which can take tension more than 28lb (but string at not more than 25lb). And remember to cut the string immediately if it breaks to prevent the frame from warping.
    Jockey's suggestion is good. Change the string for Carbonex 8sp first. Join a group (you can find in the forum in where to play) and borrow the members' racket to see what suit you. Or get a cheap and good, such as Apacs Nano 900 (I think Red for stiff, white for medium flex) and enjoy the game with a new Isometric head racket.
    On stiffness, my take is that if you play regularly, you will start to like stiff (may not be very stiff, but mid stiff such as Victor Superwave 33P) instead of flexible racket.