Need a new racket after AT800DF 4U

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by chan, Apr 15, 2010.

1. chan

chan Regular Member

Hi guys,

I broke my racket a couple of weeks ago and am thinking about replacing it. The truth is, I have only been playing casually for the past few years and so I have fallen out of the loop in terms of the newest rackets and technologies. Recently, though, I've started playing at a competitive level again and decided that I will need a new racket.

The one I broke is a 4U/G5 AT800DF (defense). I play doubles 90% of the time and I guess I'm not sure what type of player I am, but I enjoy playing defense, but also like to counter and switch to offense. In either case, I'd say the racket I broke is probably the racket that fit me best.

I've asked a couple of friends and they have been telling me to get the AT900 Technique as it is basically the next in line after the AT800DF. I've also had some people suggest the Arc10 as it seems to have a lot of fans (I guess this doesn't necessarily mean it'll fit my style of play, though). What do you guys recommend? And also, should I be looking at the 3U or 4U?

Thanks a lot!

2. dyrtla

dyrtla Regular Member

if you've used armortec in the past, i do recommend the AT900T over the arc10.
    if you want a lighter racket, go for 4U, a heavier racket, go for 3U.
    most people prefer 3U, however that shouldnt force you to buy a 3U. You should pick whats most comfortable for you.

3. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Given your style of play, I would agree that the 800D was good for you. As Armortecs go, the 800D was quite head-light and quite evenly balanced, and there are no current Armortecs like this; I've heard more than one person say that the 900T is the "spiritual successor", but IMO it's too stiff and too head heavy to be thus called (but it's still a great all-rounder).

If you're sticking to Yonex, as a fellow counter/control player I would seriously recommend you try a Nanospeed 7000 or, if you can afford it, a Nanospeed 9900 - either of these would give you the same attacking potential as an 800D (indeed, the NS9900 is very powerful in its own right if you can bend it properly) and both defend better than anything else I can find on the market.

4. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Should you want to change racket (other than AT800D) I would also recommend AT900T or NS9900. The only thing with NS9900, its a very stiff and head light racket, even more head light than the AT800D.

Having said that, if you really like AT800D there are a few online shop still selling them.

5. chan

chan Regular Member

Thanks for all the suggestions.

For the NS9900, seeing as it is so head-light, should I go for the 3U instead of the 4U? Similarly, for the AT900, should I go for the 3U or the 4U? I'm used to playing with a 4U AT800D and found that I was able to generate sufficient power...

6. gsloh

gsloh Regular Member

THe NS 9900 is only available in 3U or 2U, although most countries only have the 3U. Mind you though, powerwise the 3U should be fine if you can flex the racket.

7. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

As far as the 9900 goes, it's 3U-only (unless you get a JP-code, in which case it's 2U) so you're snookered here, but I would strongly recommend a 3U if you go for the AT900T: it is very easy to break at 4U, and I've seen many go in the hands of U17 club players.

A 4U AT900P will stand up better, but it might too head heavy for your game.