The demise of Yonex market share?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by ck1981, Apr 15, 2010.

1. ck1981

ck1981 Regular Member

Makis Kido/H. Setiawan just signed up with FlyPower Arbi recently after a few years with Yonex.
    Li-Ning has taken over all the China and Singapore players while Victor has taken the Koreans and FlyPower has taken the Indonesians. Most of the western players they use other brands like Prince, Carlton and Head.
    Who are the remaining Yonex sponsored players? I think only left Malaysia and maybe some not so famous players from Thailand, Vietnam and Japan.
    This is quite a sad story for Yonex after so many years of domination.:crying::crying:

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    flypower only took kido/setiawan, not the whole INA team.
    Some key danish players also back by yonex.
    It's good to have more competition.

3. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    I believe there's still alot of them who is still sponsored by yonex.U should watch more matches on TV.

4. ryim_

ryim_ Regular Member

Capital Market Research
    Its good to have more competition so companies will strive to make even better products.

5. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Yonex did lose some of its MarketShare in Badminton... but Japan market is still very big. Not forgetting they have Tennis and Golf as well.
    I would say it is good and also a wake up call for Yonex. They are stilll very strong in R&D just need improvement on HR and Marketing.

6. ck1981

ck1981 Regular Member

yup, but compared to old times, nowadays Yonex has shrinked a lot.
    If there r more brands coming up, like Victor, Flypower and Li-Ning, soon Yonex will be shifted out like Carlton if it dun adjust its pricing.

Yonex has its R&D but it has to sell its rackets first so that it has money to support the R&D.

7. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

remember less than 2 yrs ago at 2008OG? YY claimed that all medal winners were with their rackets.

8. ryim_

ryim_ Regular Member

Capital Market Research
    If you look at it from the sponsorship point of view then yes, Yonex has really shrunk considerably. However, looking at it realistically, things haven't changed much. Perhaps it is different in various parts of the world but in Hong Kong, I still see tons and tons of new Yonex rackets. Yes, lots of players now look to buy Victor but Yonex is still the most popular by far. The way I see it is that competition will definitely do the sport good.

9. ants

ants Regular Member

Yonex indeed has been selling their rackets aggressively. I do agree that they need more sales to support their R&D. I dont think Yonex will be like Carlton. Quality speaks louder. I also agree with you that Yonex need to position their pricing competitively with the other competitors. But the price is not justified if Yonex lower their price for high end rackets. Even Li Ning's price is higher but i doubt their quality. Their PRICE does not reflect their quality.

10. ryim_

ryim_ Regular Member

Capital Market Research
    I play Badminton in various places in HK several times a week and I've pretty much only seen private coaches using LN rackets. I suspect it has to do with their prices as well.

11. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

maybe one day LN will sponsor JPN national team
    I view LN is now on the poll position to rival YY and has all the ingredients to be numero uno, failure to do so will be a big disappoinment

12. ants

ants Regular Member

Li Ning can sponsor the smaller Japanese Clubs... National Team.. i doubt so. Japanese are known for their Loyalty. If ever Li Ning manage to get hold of Japanese National Team.. it will be either YONEX BIG FAULT or change of Management...

13. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

This I have to agree with you but to be honest the high end LN racquets are of up to par or even slightly better quality than similar YY racquets. Although the current LN prices now are a bit (far off from just slightly) too much compared to the YY prices.

14. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

yeah, i doubt the senior JPN team will fall to li ning, there's something to be said about buying local.

15. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Actually i also doubt it will happend in my life time (thats why i said "maybe") :) but who knows anything can happen. YY can sponsor many national team around the world i can not see a reason why LN can not do the same. Perhaps LN can for a start sponsoring individual JPN player
    For the rest of the sentence i was refereing to the general market share

16. colekwok

colekwok Regular Member

Fixing people
    I cannot see any Japanese players using LN rackets, like Yoppy said, at least not in my life time. Probably it is easier for LN to takeover Yonex as a company.

There is still quite a bit of national pride at the end of the day, otherwise, why should the Chinese team switching to LN? It is the same as the German football (soccer for N.American people) always go for Adidas (or Puma), England with Umbro.

17. zombiez

zombiez Regular Member

Full time Dad
    The most important question is, does a racket last longer than a string? And what strings do ppl use? :D

Just joking....:p

18. Erique

Erique Regular Member

Anyone knows if National Japanese players are officially sponsored by Yonex? What I saw in All England and Swiss Open, their rackets string didn't bear any Yonex logo, in fact Miyuki Maeda and Satoko Suetsuna wear Mizuno's shoes. In that case any brand or product can still be the official sponsor for the National Japanese player. Isn't it unusual that not Japanese badminton player seemed not yet convinced to used Yonex ?:confused:
    Maybe in Japan Yonex is not a favorite brand in badminton, or maybe target market of Yonex is outside Japan so they are not after Japanese national team.:confused:
    So it is still possible that other brand could be the sponsor of Japanese National Players.:D

19. colekwok

colekwok Regular Member

Fixing people
    I am sure the target market is definitely not Japan, when you have the whole world.

When rackets don't have the YY stencil on them, it does not mean that they are not Yonex rackets. Of course, they also Gosen and Mizuno as well. Carlton is sponsoring the England team, but individual players have individual personal sponsors. Team wear is probably now been separated from racket these days.

Sometimes it is not down to the players to choose. Money decides what you are going to choose. I remember some independent professional players actually go the distance of actually asking their current sponsor to paint their old rackets (either from the previous sponsor or older models) to their latest spec. As a professional player, you just have to compromise.

20. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

;) The german team will wear Nike after the WC2010 or from 2011. The german basketball and athletics teams already have been for years.

* Apparently the deal didn't go through and they are sticking with Adidas:

Tradition trumps Nike millions

Neither side was giving specifics about the new deal. But German news agency DPA reported that, as of 2011, Adidas will pay the DFB 20 million euros ($27.6 million) a year -- up from the current 11 million euros. Adidas has reportedly also agreed to commit 5 million euros to support youth and women's soccer programs.

The deal will cost the DFB millions of euros. In January this year, Nike offered 500 million euros ($648 million) in a proposed eight-year sponsorship contract to the DFB. That would have been some 200 million euros more than the DFB will get from Adidas.

The idea of the US giant taking over the Germany team sent shockwaves throughout the country. Analysts predicted that losing the Germany team sponsorship deal would not only be a commercial blow to Adidas, but would also bring an end to a long tradition and perhaps dent national pride.

#20 demolidor, Apr 16, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2010