User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 69 to 85 of 87
  1. #69
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    336
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Is there any corelation between Li-Ning's market share and China team's performance? Currently Li-Ning is using China players, especially Lin Dan for advertising their products. If one day these batch of China players are going down and there is no reliable replacement, I believe it will have a great impact to Li-Ning's business. Maybe Li-Ning has to diversify a bit and hire players from other countries in their advertisements.

  2. #70
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    New York, US
    Posts
    10,283
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yoppy View Post

    A footballer can be sponsored by Addidas at club level while he will be wearing Nike for the national team. Roger federer uses Wilson racket while wearing Nike shirt, whereas LD can not wear a YY shoe because CHN nat team is sponsored by LN. In badminton, once you signed, from head to toe you are covered.

    In national level of playing, LD uses SOTX, CJ and many younger generations use Kason, etc. So, I believe they do have certain "freedom" to promote other brands, under other grounp or individual contracts. Just the international stage, they will follow the "team" decision.

    Actually, your example of "full freedom" have certain limitation as well. I remember read an article as one of the football (american) star has a contract with coke, while his team has a contract to promote pepsi only. He has no choice but to work out a settlement. So, you tell me the "full freedom" does not have any limitation when the bigger name (or group, team, corp) give enough pressure?

  3. #71
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    New York, US
    Posts
    10,283
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ck1981 View Post
    Is there any corelation between Li-Ning's market share and China team's performance? Currently Li-Ning is using China players, especially Lin Dan for advertising their products. If one day these batch of China players are going down and there is no reliable replacement, I believe it will have a great impact to Li-Ning's business. Maybe Li-Ning has to diversify a bit and hire players from other countries in their advertisements.
    In theory, maybe.

    However, LN himself is long being considered as a national hero for 30 years, even though he obviously did not win any medals after 1988. Sure, LD will retire, and so as many others. However, from the group talent prespective, CHN team is still the safe bet, at least for the very near future.

    To get in the western market, it maybe a long shot. Kids surely care about what LBJ or Kobe wears, but give no interests about what TG or Howard uses, even after they win the WC.

  4. #72
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    336
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LazyBuddy View Post
    In national level of playing, LD uses SOTX, CJ and many younger generations use Kason, etc. So, I believe they do have certain "freedom" to promote other brands, under other grounp or individual contracts. Just the international stage, they will follow the "team" decision.

    Actually, your example of "full freedom" have certain limitation as well. I remember read an article as one of the football (american) star has a contract with coke, while his team has a contract to promote pepsi only. He has no choice but to work out a settlement. So, you tell me the "full freedom" does not have any limitation when the bigger name (or group, team, corp) give enough pressure?
    I think we should not compare Badminton with Soccer unless there are big and well-structured Badminton leagues around the world. Maybe Badminton should have something like the English Premier League or Champions League to promote popularity. The gap between the countries are too big. Why don't we break them down into clubs level and compete each other in leagues?

  5. #73
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,876
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LazyBuddy View Post
    In national level of playing, LD uses SOTX, CJ and many younger generations use Kason, etc. So, I believe they do have certain "freedom" to promote other brands, under other grounp or individual contracts. Just the international stage, they will follow the "team" decision.

    Actually, your example of "full freedom" have certain limitation as well. I remember read an article as one of the football (american) star has a contract with coke, while his team has a contract to promote pepsi only. He has no choice but to work out a settlement. So, you tell me the "full freedom" does not have any limitation when the bigger name (or group, team, corp) give enough pressure?
    Thats good if thats the case. But the question will be do LD and others get some kind of reward from SOTX and Kason? Dont forget Kason is also part of LN if im not mistaken.

  6. #74
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,876
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ck1981 View Post
    Is there any corelation between Li-Ning's market share and China team's performance? Currently Li-Ning is using China players, especially Lin Dan for advertising their products. If one day these batch of China players are going down and there is no reliable replacement, I believe it will have a great impact to Li-Ning's business. Maybe Li-Ning has to diversify a bit and hire players from other countries in their advertisements.
    LN can relieve knowing that LD now has won a title using N90

  7. #75
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,876
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ck1981 View Post
    I think we should not compare Badminton with Soccer unless there are big and well-structured Badminton leagues around the world. Maybe Badminton should have something like the English Premier League or Champions League to promote popularity. The gap between the countries are too big. Why don't we break them down into clubs level and compete each other in leagues?
    You mean like badminton Champions League?

  8. #76
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    137
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Bayi (LD's club) is sponsored by LN now
    in addition, even though Jiangsu provincial team is sponsored by Yonex, when i watched the CBL matches CJ was clearly using N55 and WSX clearly using UC2200B

  9. #77
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    336
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yoppy View Post
    You mean like badminton Champions League?
    Yeah, sort of. Just imagine we setup the badminton leagues like English Premier League in many countries. There are many divisions and some of the clubs will be relegated and some will be promoted every year. The games will be played on weekly basis. The top 4 will be competing in the "champions league" with clubs from other countries in the region. The players can transfer between these clubs.
    Instead of spending most of the time in training and only play international competition matches once a month like the current structure, this idea should be able to make badminton more popular and commercialized.

  10. #78
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    London/HongKong
    Posts
    419
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ck1981 View Post
    Yeah, sort of. Just imagine we setup the badminton leagues like English Premier League in many countries. There are many divisions and some of the clubs will be relegated and some will be promoted every year..............
    There are plenty of the national leagues and local leagues, school leagues etc. At least in the UK. What we always look at are the current World series and the Thomas/Uber Cup, on top of that, we have the Olympic, European Championship and Asia Games. I have no idea how they operate in N.America though. In the end, the problem is the lack of TV coverage and money.

    More competitions between the sponsors actually lead to more money pouring into our sport. If you have individual sponsorship for a certain player, once he has won, let's say, the Olympic gold, the other company pays huge amount of money to lure him (which was exactly what Victor and LN did when they got the Korean and Chinese teams respectively). Now we are seeing the effect when people moving away from one single brand towards the other brands, which the champions are using.

  11. #79
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,876
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ck1981 View Post
    Yeah, sort of. Just imagine we setup the badminton leagues like English Premier League in many countries. There are many divisions and some of the clubs will be relegated and some will be promoted every year. The games will be played on weekly basis. The top 4 will be competing in the "champions league" with clubs from other countries in the region. The players can transfer between these clubs.
    Instead of spending most of the time in training and only play international competition matches once a month like the current structure, this idea should be able to make badminton more popular and commercialized.
    Thats a wild idea , i wonder how much LD will cost?

    Personally im jealous with the media coverage and popularity of tennis world wide. Here in AU, Tennis Australia Open TV live coverage is bought the local TV which then sell the ads for the corporate sponsors. Tennis Australia also receive fund directly from corporate sponsors. No wonder the price money is a 7 digits figure.

    In fact i hardly see people queing up in a tennis court. I suspect badminton participation is higher than tennis, but the thing is its just not in the mainstream media spot light and hence receive very little attention from the public. Most of people watch tennis on TV actually do not play tennis, they only watch it as an entertainment.
    Last edited by Yoppy; 04-20-2010 at 08:25 AM.

  12. #80
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    London/HongKong
    Posts
    419
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yoppy View Post
    Thats a wild idea , i wonder how much LD will cost?

    Personally im jealous with the media coverage and popularity of tennis world wide.
    Maybe more than Christian Ronaldo, Tiger Woods or Nadal.......

  13. #81
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,876
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by colekwok View Post
    Maybe more than Christian Ronaldo, Tiger Woods or Nadal.......
    combined....... lol

  14. #82
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    London/HongKong
    Posts
    419
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yoppy View Post
    In fact i hardly see people queing up in a tennis court. I suspect badminton participation is higher than tennis, but the thing is its just not in the mainstream media spot light and hence receive very little attention from the public. Most of people watch tennis on TV actually do not play tennis, they only watch it as an entertainment.
    I think we need a string of public icons to attract the world's audience. In tennis, you have generations of 'prestige' and handsome players, and the current crops of Eastern European beauty tennis queens. Well, that is also the reason why you see that short skirts are back in badminton. We need more Peter Gade, Bao CL, Gail Emms, Fu/Cai, Shiota Reiko, Lee Yong Dae and Taufik....

    Another problem is that, Tennis matches can last for hours, while badminton, even for a 3-setter, can still be around 1.5hr only.

  15. #83
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,876
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    We also need the backing of big corporate companies and media. They should realise that advertising on badminton players or matches reaches to a lot more people than they think.

  16. #84
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,876
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Its about a year since this thread was created. I just thought bringing this back to see how YY has been performing in the last year or so. My thought is that Victor has gained a lot of market share. But LN is not doing as well as I expected. Maybe LN is taking slower approach to make sure nothing go wrong. OTOH, YY has hit right back at its competitor with the introduction of the player signature racket as well as the Voltric series.

    Both YY and Victor have came out with the 2011 catalogue / products. While LN is yet to produce newer product for the N series.

  17. #85
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    191
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think it's easier to gain volatile market share initially as opposed to really taking and keeping core market share. Kinda like Under Armour, they came "out of no where" and the market share has since settled. UA has their stable piece of market share now but is finding hard to continue to grow at the "early' pace it saw.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Where to buy Yonex socks in US market
    By batrachian in forum Market Place
    Replies: 2
    : 09-08-2006, 06:59 AM
  2. Market share of badminton companies?
    By sihker in forum Badminton Rackets / Equipment
    Replies: 3
    : 07-27-2006, 05:30 PM
  3. The demise of the forehand serve in doubles
    By taneepak in forum General Forum
    Replies: 15
    : 03-24-2004, 03:28 AM
  4. Market Share
    By Traum in forum Badminton Rackets / Equipment
    Replies: 18
    : 04-29-2003, 09:19 PM
  5. 5 x 7 demise
    By Cheung in forum General Forum
    Replies: 24
    : 01-20-2002, 08:27 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •