compare between MP77 & 99

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by joeylui, Jan 3, 2003.

1. joeylui

joeylui Regular Member

student
    i am using YY MP77 until it was broken.
    should i still either buy the MP77 again or try the YY MP99?
    although i very like the feeling on the moment of shocking,
    is the same between MP99 and 77?
    pls give me some option on this two racket if u have used before?
    thx
    joey:D

2. kezuki

kezuki Regular Member

Fantastic
    I have yust bought a MP 99.

Its the best Racket i ever had.

As I have the MP 100 and The MP 88 I always said "The MP 100 is to Stiff and to head heavy and the MP 88 was ok."

But when I got the MP 99 it was fantastic....ist like a combination of The MP 100 and the MP 88....and the MP 99 is also hevier in the grip and i love that...

All in one i think The MP99 is a good alternative for booth Offensive and Defensive playing...

Greatings Kristian (from Denmark)

3. Xuser

Xuser Regular Member

Computer Network Analyst
    I've got both of these racquets in 2U weight. I personally prefer the MP-77 as it has a little bit more flex and can create more power. With the MP-99, more racquet movments has to be generated to create more power as it is a stiffer racquet.

MP-99 does create more accurate shots. This, I believe is because it is a stiffer racquet than the MP-77.

Again, this is my personal view. I'm thinking either to sell this MP-99 off, trade it with a MP-77 or maybe try different strings. At the moment, my MP-99 is strung with Yonex BG-80 @ 24lbs and it felt like stick when I hit it. The only thing that is stopping me to get rid of this racquet now is because it comes with a great Yellow color thermal bag :D

4. ayl

ayl Regular Member

Professional procrastinator
  5. zero

zero Regular Member

Student
    I'll trade you a MP77 for your MP99 and I won't need your Yellow color thermal bag..:D

6. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    I've bought 5 MP9x so far and my opinions :

- I prefer 3U over 2U. Yes, it is right that it is not as powerful as 2U, and other offensive racquets like MP100 (but for MP77, I think they are more or less the same). 3U MP9x is a racquet you need to swing it fast to produce powerful shots (it is very easy to do with this racquet because of its excellent manuverability).

- There is no doubt MP9x is a very good balanced racquet, i.e. good for both offense and define. This is the reason why I pick it over the others.

- However, I must warn all MP9x players that MP9x is very fragile ... I just my 2nd MP9x last night (understand why I need to buy 5) !

7. Dark_ryu

Dark_ryu Regular Member

waaa..u must be rich..the mp99 in canada cost $300(canadian) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

8. Tammy

Tammy Regular Member

Ricky, how did you break the 2nd one? If I remember correctly, you broke the first one from a clash (so no excuse there, right? :). I'm trying to decide whether I should get an MP-99 or a second Ti SP SS :)

9. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    The 1st one was dropped to the floor in a double game and it then broke suddenly when hitting an shuttle after play for 1 to 2 hours.

The 2nd one was broken after I've a "moderated" clash with my partner's Ti-10 in a double games.

Yes, I agree that I must accountable for this to a certain extent ... but with my experience of using so many Yonex racquets before, such kind of clash shouldn't cause the racquet to crack.

Both broken racquets are 3U version, 2U and CP should be better. In addition, light racquets are not necessarily easy broken, e.g. my ISO 900 SR CN (I've two) are even lighter than the MP9x 3U, but it is very durable and have no sign of damage even after many clashes ...

If you use MP9x mainly in singles, situation should be better.

10. Tammy

Tammy Regular Member

Ricky, Thanks for sharing the info with us.

That's what I thought. In that case, would you recommend 2U or 3U? I play singles comfortably with Ti SP SS. I think 3U should be all right, but I'd appreciate your suggestion.

11. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    Based on my experience (I've all 3 racquets), just want to know whether you want to buy a more manuverable racquet than Ti SP SS ? Or you want to buy something more powerful or give more solid feeling ?

If you play happily with Ti SP SS, why switch to MP9x ?

12. Tammy

Tammy Regular Member

You're right, Ricky. I'd want something more powerful with more solid feeling than Ti SP SS, but at the same time, as maneuverable as the SS for singles (Do these requirements contradict each other? :)) I tried a Ti-7 2U and liked its solid feeling, but I feel it's not as powerful as the SS.

I heard Ti SP SS would be discontinued in the near future. I don't want to stock them up because, who knows, my preference might change as I grow old :) Besides Ti SP is too expensive to stock up a few. I'm branching out to other brands other than Yonex and also trying to find a Yonex replacement if that will be the case.

13. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    So I think MP99 2U is more suitable. However, it is not a cheap racquet, especially if you found Ti SP expensive ...

p.s. I've also heard that Ti SP will be discontinued, but I guess there will have something like Muscle Power Swing Power at that time ... :)

14. Tammy

Tammy Regular Member

Thanks, Ricky! I know it's expensive. I can afford one at a time, but not a bunch :)

I had a few swings of a MP-99 3U US and a 2U SP in a store. I somehow felt the 3U was more head-heavy, relatively to its weight, than the 2U. The 2U felt more even-balanced, again relatively to its weight.

That's probably due to the fact that the 3U has G5 grip and the 2U has G4 grip.

15. steve

steve New Member

Civil Engineer
    i have 2 MP99s and they are in 3U weight. i really like the racquet. personally MP100 is a bit stiffer for me and since i play doubles more often, therefore i chose
    to buy the MP99s. even though it's a stiffer racquet than the MP77, i don't think it
    generates less power than the 77. just have to get used to the racquet. i was one
    of the few people who bought a 99, now everyone at the club has one. if it's not good why would people buy it? Buy the 99 and you can't go wrong.

16. Xuser

Xuser Regular Member

Computer Network Analyst
    Is the MP-99 3U lighter than the 2U? Can you tell the difference?

I wonder if I should try out the MP-99 3U version. My 2U version doesn't work for me as well as my MP-77 2U version.

17. steve

steve New Member

Civil Engineer
    the 3U is about 5 grams lighter than the 2U. MP99 is a stiffer racquet than the 77. takes a little bit to get used to because of the timing and the sweet spot. try lossen the string tension a pound or two. see if that helps.

18. Xuser

Xuser Regular Member

Computer Network Analyst
    5grams lighter? I guess that would make a difference. Losening the tension was my other opton and also a different string. I was thinking of 22lbs with BG-68Ti or BG88Ti.

19. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    I've both 2U and 3U MP9x. 3U version gives much lighter feel, and I do think they are quite different (that's why I insist to buy back 3U version again even after I broke 2 pieces of them).

In general, I think both versions are not head heavy ...

20. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    I agree. Both versions feel different due to the weight and they are not head heavy.