Tennis elbow?? Hmm >.<

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by pandaman, Apr 16, 2010.

1. pandaman

pandaman Regular Member

Student!
    Basically last week after badminton my elbow /forarm area start to ache a little then the next day it was painful and i think a bit inflamed searched thru.. saw all the tennis elbow things and ppl saying it takes 6 months to recover :|:eek::crying: Considering i only just started gettin into it AND :| my skl has just built a new sports hall and will be open the week i go back ( next week monday ) =/

Does any1 have any advice on what to do? and how often to do these stretches ? Also is it possible for tennis elbow to go sooner than this ?? Cos tbh im actually really young and most ppl are quite frowned upon how im gettin this cos of my age (17)... and i ive never played more than twice a week =S But i dno for know ill stick with deep freeze gel... and icepacks =S

THanks in advance =]

2. dyrtla

dyrtla Regular Member

im really confused about the concept golfers elbow / tennis elbow, so ill put the two as one and explain.

basically, i remember when i was in school, i used to play a lot of arm wrestling, which started the problem in the inner side of my elbow. It hurt so much when i play badminton that i had to completely stop playing badminton / basketball for about 3 weeks. For me this happens when i play arm wrestling so i strong suggest you stop playing arm wrestling immediately. THeres a lot of strain in the muscle when you play it and it is not good for your arms.

Also, i remember a time when the racket too high that the outside of my elbow started to hurt. If you were playing with another persons racket, or is a newly strung racket, give it a week or two, and then use a racket with lower tension.

i dont think anything really helped alleviate the problem besides giving it plenty of rest. heat pack is supposed to work, but i did not see any result from it. Give it plenty of rest and it shoud be fine.

3. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Tennis elbow is lateral epicondylitis. So your first job is to let someone see you (the NHS is a wonderful thing;)) to make sure that this is indeed what you have, and not some other problem.

If it is lateral epicondylitis and rest, ice and home exercises aren't working, then you could let a physio/massage/chiro/accupuncturist have a go at you with their special techniques.

If all that isn't working then you may wish to get an injection of steroid. When it works, it's great.
    (Doesn't hurt much-- I do it occasionally and no one has punched me... yet:eek:).

Best of luck.

4. visor

visor Regular Member

Also, make sure you're not hitting the bird with your arm fully locked out in an extended position. That will surely cause elbow pain.

The other point is to make sure you're using a looser grip.

5. alexh

alexh Regular Member

Yes. It sometimes helps to wrap an extra layer or two of grip tape around your racket handle.

6. BFDSG

BFDSG New Member