APACS - My Thoughts

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by petertan_sg, Apr 17, 2010.

1. petertan_sg

petertan_sg Regular Member

CEO
    I have three Apacs rackets: 9900, Tantrum Light Infinity & Rapier (Z-Slash replica) and used them for the past 6 months.

I realize that after playing with APACS rackets, the shafts tend to become softer (more flex). Initially, they perform very well but as the shafts become softer, accuracy and stability are affected. But I also realize that the frame are much better as they tends to be "unbreakable".

I think that I might change back to "branded" rackets such as Yonex, Victor or Li-Ning.

2. rapidfire

rapidfire Regular Member

U shd try their higher end racket like tantrum or lethal

3. petertan_sg

CEO
    i wanted to find tantrum 200, but all i got is tantrum light infinity, which is very good at the beginning, but right now it is really bad.

4. teoky

teoky Regular Member

Manager
    You get what you paid for, that's what I always believe.

But don't get me wrong, for the price of APACS, it is pretty good at least if my budget is tight, i rather get APACS than a low end Yonex.

Their high end racquets are good but I still believe that for their low end racquets, they are all pretty much the same, probably only a few different models and they give it new paintwork and sell it as new model.

5. -Berg

-Berg Regular Member

so, what your conclusion is, although apacs rackets frame is strong and durable, their weakness is on the shaft which will eventually wornout in a relatively short time so it affecting your accuracy? i see i see. thanks for sharing your opinion

6. hola4

hola4 Regular Member

I own 2 pieces of Apacs tantrum 200 (3U and 4U) and one piece Yonex AT900T (4U/G4). I find both my tantrum 200 have better power than my Yonex racket. Control wise, I don't see any different for all 3 rackets. Now, i am looking for Apacs or other brands badminton shoes that equally good as Yonex high-end shoes. Any recommendation? :D

7. petertan_sg

CEO
    teoky: i'm converting to victor and test their BS9 this week... will make a review soon.

berg: yes, it affect the accuracy as well as power...

hola: one of these days, must borrow ur tantrum 200 to test...

8. bluecraze07

bluecraze07 Regular Member

In my own personal opinion, Apacs does make good rackets. I have had their clones (NS9000, AT900) and their higher end (Tantrum 200 and Armor Muscle Pro 95). What I personally found was that their clone rackets aren't really that great for me, but their original higher end rackets such as the Tantrum are top notch rackets. I did not notice that they deteriorate with time. If anything, it grows on my with time as I get use to the racket.

9. petertan_sg

CEO
    yes, i was looking for a light Apacs racket and found the 6U 75+g Tantrum Light Infinity. For the initial 2 months, it was lovely. Anyway, I may try to restring and see how it goes.

10. aloy66

aloy66 Regular Member

11. petertan_sg

CEO
    I never put them in high temperature places (e.g. car boot) and always air them after matches... Maybe I'm unlucky enough to have 3 rackets that have such problems.

12. jockey

jockey Regular Member

UCT student
    been using apacs for 6 months now and finding them really good.
    did not experience shaft stiffness decreases.
    apacs construction is really solid. strung my rackets at 30 lbs number of times and they fold easily. had some clashes too but only minor scratches.

13. mamapoko

mamapoko Regular Member

Student
    why are their G2 grips so small?

14. singnflip4life

singnflip4life Regular Member

Full Time Med Student
    Their G2 is somewhere between Yonex's G4 and G5, the grip scale is reversed I believe.

The OP's comment makes me laugh somewhat, because the first thing to go on the first Tantrum 200 I ever knew was the frame. Clashed with a heavily scarred MP99, more of a love tap really, and it was enough to get the frame to crumple at 25lbs. MP99 was fine though.

15. staiger

staiger Regular Member

Investment Banker

what level do you play at ? if you are at professional level and have a very sharp powerful smash then the shaft of those rackets would not take the strain of it after a few months.
    I would not surprise if you shaft become deformed , imagaine the workload you put into the shaft everytime you hit a smash , it dos not matter which brand of racket you are using as they will still crumple at some stage.

p.s. humidity and extreme high temperature in the summer does not help either, so always keep them in a well ventilated thermoregulated bag and avoid the racket/bag being place in direct sunlight

16. petertan_sg

CEO
    thanks for the suggestion. i guess that because APACS are cheap, I didn't really take the effort to protect them. i do hope that i have a very sharp powerful smash, but i usually like to play like fu hai feng or markis kido (of course, i'm just 0.0000001% of their standard)...

17. staiger

staiger Regular Member

Investment Banker
    You just being modest :) I bet you meant you are only 0.0000001 % off their standard,

it is best not to single a brand out just because there product is less expensive , from my personal experience their quality control and durability are as good as the more expensive brands. I treat all my rackets the same way regardless of their price, I have a few Apacs rackets which I preferred over the Yonex top range and it is less than half the price . If it feel good ...then why not.........

18. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Could it also be that in the last 6mnths you have grown stronger and consequently the racket feel less stiff. Did you also use continuesly other brand racket in the last 6mnths?
    I own a few Apacs (Nano9990 and Lethal Light 1.10), and could not notice any change yet.

19. petertan_sg

CEO
    haha... no... i'm just a novice player. played for only 8 months... now already 32 years old... so it's a little late to start playing.

20. petertan_sg

CEO
    I guess maybe you're right. I grew fatter and maybe that explain why my smashes got more powerful. :D I just bought a Victor Bravesword 9, but still adapting...