Wang Zhengming ( 王睁茗 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by 2cents, Apr 17, 2010.

1. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Landlording, providing vacation homes at Disney wo
    many people have seen many Chinese young players playing international tournaments, Chen Long, Du Peng yu, Qie Yanbo, Li Yu, Lu Yi, Gong Wanjie, Lu Qichen, Gao Huan, Wen Kai..., but none of them have the caliber of Lin Dan, I am sure none of them can reach the same height as Lin Dan. They even cannot catch up with Bao CL and Chen Jin.

Searching outside China, I cannot find any promising young star either. When was the first time Lin Dan grabbed the 1st ranking in the world? I believe it was in the year 2000 when using 9x5 scoring system. Now 10 years past, it's still Lin Dan, Bao CL, Lee CW and even Taufik and Peter Gade! where are the kids born younger than Lin Dan generation?

Super star like Zhao JH, Lin Dan were made when they were born. It's so disappointed that there is no super star younger than Lin Dan in the current badminton battlefield.

I almost lost my interest in badminton by watching all those old faces until I saw Wang Zheng Ming from China. Although he has not got many showing in the tournaments, he's the guy who has the caliber of Lin Dan and Zhao JH. I have predicted this first when I saw the China national games' badminton competition, now from the Asian game, I am sure i'm right. When Lin Dan finally phases out, it will be Zheng Ming Wang's era. He's a natural born winner as Lin Dan, and Zhao JH.

Even though, Zheng Ming Wang is not in the first team of China, but those guys in the first team, Chen Long, Du Peng yu, Gao Huan .. will soon be forgotten. Tago will be top 10 in the ranking, but hard for him to grab a title.

As his name Wang indicates, Wang means "the King". Zheng Ming Wang will be the next super king. That's my prediction.

2. T-maker

T-maker Regular Member

Trouble Maker
    hope so... it's been 'dry' in terms of new talents...irrespective of from which country...

3. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    In 2000 it was Gade then Taufik No.1 then 2002-3 was Chen Hong, I don't think Lin Dan reached No.1 until Late 2003 or Early 2004, but I get your point.....

Could anyone tell us anymore about him (age, province, playing style etc..)
    Time will tell, I am sure everyone thought CJ was going to be the next big thing & it hasn't quite happended for him.

#3 jamesd20, Apr 17, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
  4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    first, u gave up hope too easily:D China has converyor belt churning out new crop of players, not seeing any LD type youngsters yet doesn't mean china machine isn't running.
    Yes ZMW looks impressive at BAC similar to LD when he was starting out. LD got the benefit of Tangfu coaching but i doubt ZMW get that special grooming. ZMW do has the added edge of extra height over LD but does he have the speed of LD? We'll see. Look like 2012 OG MS title isn't a shoe in for LD as i first expected given the new ZMW...

what scary to me is the new crop ZMW, Xuerui Li, xin liu seems to not afraid of their opponents in their very first big outing. This bunch seem to seek perfection, very hungry and not complacent. XL and XL took down #1 and #2 seeds like piggy's straw house to the wolf, and XL/XL are still only in the 2nd team:D LYB must be grinning from cheek to cheek :D:D:D

5. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

you are right. Have you noticed who reigned after 2000 Olympics before Chen Hong ruled the world in 2002 - 2003. There is a gap in your posting. It was Lin Dan. He dominated even before Chen Hong. But after 2002-2003, Lin Dan experienced hardship until he returned later as a king.

Chen Jin was the only younger player who's in the top. As you said, he's still short to be the next big thing.

The next big thing, now for sure to me, is Zheng Ming Wang. Here is his basic info: he's a high school student in the ZhanJiang city, which is the south most city in mainland China.

About Wang's playing style, my feeling is he's a combination of all the greatness. Lee CW was fast and agile, Taufik has a good sense of badminton, Lin Dan combines speed with power, but they are all short physically, Bao CL is tall and skillful, but fragile. Chen Jin is good all around but which also implies no special weapons.

Zheng Ming Wang is a combination of all of those from Lee CW, Taufik, LD, Bao CL and Chen Jin. ZM Wang is physically tall and strong, he's also agile and smart. Most of all, like Lin Dan, Wang ZM and LD are the only two who dare to win, and know how to win. That's a natural born quality which most people lack. Lee CW and Peter Gade won a lot, but never won anything big enough. Taufik won too few. Bao CL and Chen Jin also easily gave up big time.

the only thing Wang ZM needs is to prove himself. As long as he gets chance, (but this is the biggest problem based on Chinese bureaucratic communist system), he will prove it he's the next king of badminton.

6. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I love it how after one match, we all appear to jump to the conclusion that a player is going to be the next best thing. Last month we were going on about Tago, now it's Wang, who is it going to be next month ?
    He beat Tago in three games, there was only three current top ten singles player in this tournament. And he hasn't played one yet, only one ranked 14 or so, also everyone is entitled to an off period, LDs was last month tagos was this month, (Taufiks has been the last 2 years)
    This Wang guy, we will be talking about him this month and then we will forget about him for 6 months or so.
    Who is next ?
    What age is he anyway ?

7. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Coaching is not important, at least according to my memory. When Han Jian of Liao Ning emerged from nowhere, who was his coach? He learnt badminton from textbook. When Yang Yang, Zhao Jian Hua and Yang Jian Li dominated the China badminton men's singles, they all came from Jiangsu, at that time, JIangsu was not a powerhouse in badminton at all.

I don't think LYB has any reason to grin from cheek to cheek. China female players leve are miles above the world's level, which means at least 20 China female badminton singles players are in the top 20 of the world ranking. LYB's problem is to use this to gain the most for his own benefits.

8. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

When people talked about Chen Long, I was not in, when people talked about Tago, I skipped those posts.

I fully understand your point.

But this time, this Wang thing,It's the real thing. The real thing finally coming. That's the difference.

#8 2cents, Apr 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2010
  9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

u r too wrong. Today's badminton supremcy isn't like yester-year which lacks competiton. I can say no badminton players today can be in the top ranking like YY, ZJH and YJL just by reading text book. Natural talent can only take u so far. Just look at taufik, good for like ~2 years. U think LD is LD today without the molding of tangfu, LYB and other secret ingredients? You know, china team can save alot of money by cutting down training and support staff because according to you, LYB just need to play Warcraft in his office and wait for the next LD to walk thru his door. Having a powerful smash does look impressive at first but to give ZMW all those accolades now is a bit premature. At high level badminton, the difference often determine by mental strength and consistency, not big smashing powa.

i sure like to have LYB's problem even if i can't grin cheek to cheek.:rolleyes:

#9 cooler, Apr 17, 2010
  10. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Are you sure LD was No 1 in 2000, I think his first senior tournaments were in 2001? I tried to find the historical rankings from WBF, but it seems they no longer have them online?

More about WZM, you say he is a high school student - how old (birth date?), also I agree it may depend on whether he is brought full time into the National team, there are many good players as good or better in Provincal teams who do not make it into the National team...

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

to be in even term with LD rules!, i suggest u change your nic to Zhengming Wang rules!:p

12. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I think Chen Longs opportunity, is gone they have Du Pengyu now and if this Wang shows himself to be the real deal, then we will see if CL still has a place in the team. Also quite a few said that Tago had a really good defence last month in the AE, if Wang is good enough to smash through it he must be a good player, but let's wait and see, if we are still talking about him in 6 months time he is a good player.

13. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I think we should wait a little more than 6 months to see if a player who can only be 16-17 yo can make it.

I say give him 5 Years......till he is 22 or so to see if he is still around & challenging....

14. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

WZM is already 20. Hence, not in the junior competition anymore.

Ever since watching his performance at the Chinese juniors final, I had high hope for him. Regardless what he will accomplish, his playing style is a visual feast that is magnitudes more pleasing than any other emerging players. That alone is enough to have me in his camp.

15. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Oh, 2 cents said he was high school student, so I thought he should be 16-17. I hope to be able to see him soon.....

16. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

I said you were right. I remember LD have his debut show at Demark open in 2000, He and Bao CL defeated all the stars that time, and met at the final. After that, LD won a lot, became the 1st in the ranking quickly. It should have been 2001 that he had enough time and tournaments to build his ranking points.

WZM was a high school student when he won the world junior championship. Now he's probably 20 years old.

#16 2cents, Apr 17, 2010
  17. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

When Du Pengyu defeated Tago at 2010 swiss open 2:0 ( 21-12, 21-18), I didn't see Du Pengyu the next super star. Even though Wang beat Tago 2:1, but the way Wang's playing make me think he's a totally different player than Du Peng Yu and Tago. I have seen too many players playing like Du Pengyu or Tago, but few like Wang ZM. Actually Wang ZM reminds me Zhao JH.

#17 2cents, Apr 17, 2010
  18. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    You said I was right, but then said he was No.1 before CH(meaning I was wrong:confused::confused:), I haven't checked in detail, but I don't think he was. His first senior title was Korea 2002, he Lost to BCL in 2001 Denmark open Final. I am 99% sure he wasn't No.1 until 2003/4. Roslin Was No.1 in 2001.....

You said in post#5 "Here is his basic info: he's a high school student in the ZhanJiang city, which is the south most city in mainland China". This -to me- means he is currently at High school.

Please make posts a bit more coherent & accurate......

Neverthe less we have now established he is 20, I cannot comment on him as I haven't, but still think we should wait until 22 to se if he is the next big thing.....

19. cooler

cooler Regular Member

let see how zmw handle ld tonite before making your major declaration. He has yet beaten a top player, while JOJ, NTM, chen long have taken out lcw once before.

20. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    With badminton, and new players the thing is that these players come from a situation where they are winning, so they are confident, they are also young, which generally means they are also more confident. They also have the comfort of having been able to study their opponents thoroughly beforehand & have their coaches advice on how to beat them.

The players they play are generally older, used to playing better players than themselves (except LD, LCW for example) & thus are likely to have a lower confidence level. Combine thi with the fact that they have no idea how there opponent plays, there good shots, there weak shots, there timings etc.. means they are at a disadvantage.

We need to give young players at least 2 yrs playing senior tournaments before we can make judgements as this is the stage at which most players will have played the young player & seen him play a lot more too. The young player will have lost some matches he should have won & won some he mybe should have lost, he has realised how tough it is too.

This is the reason why often young players are put into maybe 2 tournaments in a row, then pulled back to training for a few months, in order to assess there level, then work on any weaknesses found, as if they keep playing tournaments they have no time to improve themselves & successive defeats cn knock confidence terminally & give experienced opponents a psychological edge.