Yonex BG66 vs BG66M vs BG66S

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Easy Tiger, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Easy Tiger

Easy Tiger Regular Member

Bum
    Okay so I've decided I'd like to try out a thinner string just for the fun of it. I haven't broken a single string in 18 months, so I figure I can get away with it without developing a raging restring habit.

Can anyone briefly synopsis the difference between all the BG66 variants?

Currently all my rackets are BG80 @ 25x27, so I'm looking for something with similar playability.

2. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

Mate, I recommend you give BG66M a try. I have played with all three and I rank them as follows in terms of impact feel and control at the same tension with the same stringing technique:

BG66M > BG66S > BG66

As you can see, the BG66M has the stiffest and most "sharp and focused" feel of the three at the same tension. Some "seniors" who have used it before me even recommend me to string BG66M at 2lbs below my usual string tension. BG66S on the other hand feels similar to BG66 but lasts longer, sounds better, has better "controllable repulsion" and gives a more solid feel than BG66. BG66M however has the same solid feel as BG66S.

If you want to compare it to BG80, I would say BG66M feels 2lbs tighter at the same tension so you can probably string at 25lbs for the same feel or the same at 27lbs for an better stiffer feel. Control-wise and hit impact solidness I would prefer BG66M over BG80 which I used to use although BG66M costs almost twice as much. It may, from marketing feature materials, theoretically last longer than BG80 though (some new synthetic gut in the BG66M over the older models).

3. Easy Tiger

Bum
    Thanks for the feedback!

Cost isn't really an issue if you don't break strings and you don't change them over like you do underwear, so that's not a huge factor for me and my puny arm. ;)

Would you say going for 66S over 66M is a major step down, or is 66M just a minor improvement?

I'm feeling the allure of the black string :D

4. Blitzzards

I guess you're correct in saying that the 66M is only of a minor improvement over the 66S in terms of feel (for control and hard hitting) but IMHO since the two string models cost the same to begin with, I would just go for the 66M. The 66M will last longer in the long run in terms of durability too ;)

5. Easy Tiger

Bum
    Yeahbut......I think my new LN 300C would break out in a rash if it was strung in white! :crying::cool:

Attached Files:

6. dawei94

dawei94 Regular Member

Student
    wow that's a nice racket
    review soon?

7. autolink

autolink Regular Member

look like cobra's racket,so cool with the mint colour,how much is that ?

8. Easy Tiger

Bum
    I got a deal on it, but I think e78 and BSOL have it available for about USD139/RM445/HKD1080 or thereabouts.

It's part of Li-Nings range just under the N Series, but you wouldn't know it. It's a full 'woven' racket, insane value for money, high quality finish. The green is 'chameleon' - only really shows up in certain lighting.

Review once I decide on a string!

#8 Easy Tiger, Apr 18, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2010
  9. Easy Tiger

Bum
    BG66S it is!

Brief review next week.

10. dawei94

dawei94 Regular Member

Student
    so how is the bp300c?

11. Easy Tiger

Bum
    Concentrating on the BS11 at the moment.

Anyone know where the best place to find BD66S/M is? I can get it locally for AUD16/USD14.50 but I'm hunting for a better price.

12. Blitzzards

For any better price you'll have to look outside at international sellers, since BG66S/M are still Japan only products. Otherwise when you buy locally you get the convenience of them being sent to you immediately the next day.

13. Easy Tiger

Bum
    Yeah, very true. Might just go with Calibre.

14. adonis

adonis Regular Member

DC Badminton Panda Power Australian Distributor, S
    MBS is cheaper. Price includes shipping.

15. Easy Tiger

Bum
    I'm guessing if I'm not a massive fan of NGB95, I'm not going to love the 98, right?

16. Blitzzards

NBG98 is pretty much just the more repulsive and tighter feeling version of NBG95 (0.69mm vs 0.66mm). The thing that makes them different from BG65 and BG66 (compared respectively) is the nano-(something) coating which makes the string more repulsive and sharper/tighter/stiffer in feel. The coating also makes it feel slightly slippery for some people.

NBG98 is also a lot more durable and from my experience can beat BG80 in durability. The only problem is that when the coating starts to wear off after using for about 3 months NBG98 even though still at a sufficiently high and comfortable tension the repulsion and feel drops drastically and you'll be tempted to treat it like a 3 months old BG65 ;)

17. ryim_

ryim_ Regular Member

Capital Market Research
    I didn't like the NBG95 much but the NGB98 is a different story. I use BG80 (>90% of the time) and so far, NBG98 has been really nice. I am interested to see what happens after say, a month or two when the coating wears off a bit.

18. Alpinerock

Alpinerock Regular Member

Hi All

Not sure if this is right thread for this comment but I wanted to make a comparison between ZM62 and BG66M.

I purchased a mint condition second hand T2v1 with specs85g/BP287 (without strings) which was strung with ZM62 at 28lbs (had lost little tension) and the orginal leather grip was replaced with a Karakal Super PU grip. So fully loaded the specs changed to 95g/BP283. Last week strings broke so had it restrung with BG66M at 27lbs, now specs are 95g/BP285.

With ZM62 smashes were powerful and accurate, clears and cross-courts were carried out with ease and drop shots were aslo accurate. I did find net play and short serves rather difficult to control but this may be due my lack of technique.

With the BG66M smashes were again powerful and accurate, clears and cross-courts were no problem but more power was need compared to the ZM62. I did find the the sweet spot with the BG66M larger. Also I found my short serve and net play were more accurate and that I had more control. I just found that the the BG66M had more 'grip'.

Overall, I preferred the BG66M. I am looking forward to trying the ZM Pro which according to Dinkalot is a .65 version of the ZM62.

I might add that I am not an advanced player and also the strings were a different colour; the ZM62 yellow and the BG66M white. The reason I mention this is that other BC members have indicated that the colour of the string makes a difference to its playing properies.

Any comments are welcome.

19. Easy Tiger

Bum
    You'd probably get some more feel back at the net if the tension wasn't so high.

As a rule, the thinner the string, the lower you need the tension to keep the feel the same as a thicker string.

I've done my LN 300C with PG65 at a pound lower than I'd normally run something like ZM67 or BG80. Probably could've gone 2lbs lower really, but we'll see how it goes on Monday when I get to have a hit-out.

In terms of the colour, I was skeptical until I tried the ZM67 in all the three colours, and the white was noticably better. The fluro yellow was a very close second but the platinum was slippery and felt 'artificial'.