User Tag List

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Results 154 to 170 of 177
  1. #154
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Medicine Hat, AB, Canada
    Posts
    208
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete LSD
    Is the cause of Chinese civil wars rooted in internal prejudices? I think not. It is more of absolute selfishness, power and greed.
    I agree but selfishness tends to create exclusion or classification.
    Going back to the topic, the world continues to change. IMO, the 'definition' of being a Chinese should also change. Speaking a certain dialect is one of the consideration but it should not be a requirement. As more and more people are exposed to other cultures and history, we should expect people to change (hopefully in a good way). I have met an English professor whose knowledge on Chinese languages and history is far better than me. IMO, he is more Chinese than I am.
    We are living in a world in which people like to concentrate on the differences rather than similarities. That is a dangerous road to travel as differences create conflict and anger.
    We are all here talking becasue we like badminton. And I think we should focus on our common love of the sport. Whether we are Chinese - is that really important?
    A good shot is still a good shot - no mater who is holding the racquet.

  2. #155
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,302
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    The issue is not enthnocentrity but rather personal greed for wealth and power. Coupled with an inward looking mindset, internal conflicts are quite common in Chinese history. Also remember that the majority of people in China belong to the Han tribe


    Quote Originally Posted by jug8man
    im no great historian but.........
    that should merely explain the reasons for actions of the upper class in society. the leaders actions. however to be an effective leader, one must be able to move the 'mob' in this case the ppl. so why would 'brother kill brother' just to follow king? obviously social seggregation and ethnocentrity among 'tribes' already existed in the mindsets of the ppl and these issues may have been used to 'fan the flame' so to speak by their respective leaders in order to achieve personal goals.

    just a thought.

  3. #156
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Basement Boiler Room
    Posts
    22,118
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete LSD
    The issue is not enthnocentrity but rather personal greed for wealth and power. Coupled with an inward looking mindset, internal conflicts are quite common in Chinese history. Also remember that the majority of people in China belong to the Han tribe
    ROFLOL, everyone here belongs to the Han tribe
    Dang..

  4. #157
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    13,434
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Let's not get the thread into wars and such-like. That was not the original point I wanted to make.

    The point of the thread was some chinese regarding some groups as not being chinese, yet obviously, there are some common exceptions. So common, that the a statement of "you are not chinese", defies logical thinking (at least to my logic)

  5. #158
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Posts
    185
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Hello

    I am an IBC (not IBF LOL) but I always feel chinese although I can't speak or read chinese. My parents told me that i am hokkien but i can't read or speak hokkien as well so it's no use LOL

    Living here in Indonesia as an IBC you will feel a lot of discrimination against you, so it's kinda hard to "like" native indonesians (but then again...i am not stereotyping...some native indonesians are nice) especially after the may 1998 riot. I can say that I don't like them...but when it comes to badminton...I always support Indonesia no matter what..so it's kinda confusing.

    I think the question will raise again when I have a child someday LOL since my current boyfriend is danish and i am myself is not pure indo or pure chinese LOL well..whatever...the most important thing is that we're human and we deserve the rights to live

  6. #159
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Australia for the moment
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I personally believe that what matters is how you think and act, what is your cultural background, and not the colour of your skin. That is the problem with descriptions like ABC, etc. Just because your ethnic background may be some kind of Chinese, that doesn't mean you will think like a so-called "Chinese."

    I have alot of American friends who get mad if I tell them "You're not Chinese" in a joking way. They get extremely defensive, even though they're third generation American and are completely American in thinking and behaviour, they just happen to have a Chinese appearance.

    If you are born in China, grow up there, and think like everyone else, you are Chinese, regardless of your skin colour, background, etc. I think people really rely too much on their eyes.

    Of course, it gets complicated when you have people that grew up in different places, or went through a different kind of school in country (international school, expats, etc.).


    Quote Originally Posted by Cheung
    This is a topic close to my identity. Hope we can share some of what I have experienced............

    ABC - American/Australian Born Chinese,
    BBC - British Born Chinese
    CBC - Canadian (or could be China)
    IBC - Indonesian Born Chinese
    MBC - Malaysian Born Chinese
    SBC - S'porean Born Chinese....................haha you thought it meant S'pore BadmintonCentral

    My cousin is a JBC (Jamaican.NOT Japan!!)


    Here's something interesting I have experienced when moving to HK.

    Some local HK people accuse me of not being chinese.

    Why?
    I grew up overseas..OK, I wasn't even born in China, HK, Macau, Taiwan.
    I don't speak the language (cantonese)
    I can't read chinese.

    Believe me I have some stuff which I would take as personally insulting.

    What do you regard yourself as? A nationalised citizen of your country of birth or an overseas chinese? (i am of the 2nd and perhaps we can discuss why after a few people's comments)

  7. #160
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    370
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xiao_yi
    I personally believe that what matters is how you think and act, what is your cultural background, and not the colour of your skin. That is the problem with descriptions like ABC, etc. Just because your ethnic background may be some kind of Chinese, that doesn't mean you will think like a so-called "Chinese."

    I have alot of American friends who get mad if I tell them "You're not Chinese" in a joking way. They get extremely defensive, even though they're third generation American and are completely American in thinking and behaviour, they just happen to have a Chinese appearance.

    If you are born in China, grow up there, and think like everyone else, you are Chinese, regardless of your skin colour, background, etc. I think people really rely too much on their eyes.

    Of course, it gets complicated when you have people that grew up in different places, or went through a different kind of school in country (international school, expats, etc.).
    I am one of those who get offended. Not because of the fact that they say that I am not Chinese (they, offenders), but because they imply so many other things that go along with _BC. Some are, you are a stupid Canadian that is spoiled and rich, you do not work hard in Canada because the school system is messed up and the universities are too easy (stupid assumptions). You can't speak Chinese because you have an accent, you can't read/write because you have an accent. They think they're better, and at the same time, apply so many stereotypes.

  8. #161
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Indo
    Posts
    469
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    wow, what a thread!

    hmm, well, im not chinese, either in nation or ethnicity,half javanese, and half sumatran, even a moslem for that matter (i say this becos sometimes native indonesians are stereotyped as moslems) , but i have friends who are chinese (close friends), even have extended families who are chinese (my mom's adopted siblings), and i really want people in indo to just blend even with all of their differences, who cares if ure chinese or not, sometimes people just stereotyping people by their ethnicity, why cant they see the differences as something that brings them together and not something that sets them apart

    i know, as a native indonesian, who most of my friends are too, sometimes we like to stereotyping chinese, and discriminate them, but me myself, i feel like im against it, why cant we just get along

    and i wonder why is it easier for us to get along with un-native people who are indians, arabians, or others way more than we do with the chinese (my sociology teacher loves to discuss this in her class)

  9. #162
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    [ON . Canada] [GuangZhou . China]
    Posts
    464
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Thumbs up my opinion ...

    Quote Originally Posted by BethuneGuy
    I am one of those who get offended. Not because of the fact that they say that I am not Chinese (they, offenders), but because they imply so many other things that go along with _BC. Some are, you are a stupid Canadian that is spoiled and rich, you do not work hard in Canada because the school system is messed up and the universities are too easy (stupid assumptions). You can't speak Chinese because you have an accent, you can't read/write because you have an accent. They think they're better, and at the same time, apply so many stereotypes.
    I dunno ... I mean I just hate the fact that people say that chinese people have those 'slanted' eyes and talk all weird and bow down with their hands together and such (which is totally not true ). My eyes are pretty normal , even though I'm Chinese ... lol .But I guess in badminton , being chinese means that you play well ... or something like that . Even though that is absolutely not true . I hate racist people and I don't get why people think being Chinese is so special ... since all of us is unique and I don't think our background have much effect on who we are and such .

    Anyways , my ideal defination of Chinese is that they are either born in China or have two Chinese parent (2nd generation chinese ) .No matter how well you can speak the language , as long as you have those two qualities , you are Chinese . But besides the fact of our skin colors , I don't think our background represents us much . So yeah ... that's my opinion

    - O b l i v i o u s . M e -

  10. #163
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    PJ, Mal
    Posts
    584
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbella122
    But I guess in badminton , being chinese means that you play well ... or something like that . Even though that is absolutely not true . I hate racist people and I don't get why people think being Chinese is so special ... since all of us is unique and I don't think our background have much effect on who we are and such .
    heh heh, that' s a silly misconception . but DO people think being Chinese is 'so special'? ... ... phew, AM i glad i don't encounter racist people or people who think so weirdly (in this matter), where i am now. *counts blessings*

    but I like to believe that people capable of these thoughts are of an insignificant minority, and so, like to think that this species would be wiped offf the face of earth in a matter of time.
    Last edited by Anatolii; 02-04-2005 at 10:36 PM.

  11. #164
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Indo
    Posts
    469
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbella122
    I dunno ... I mean I just hate the fact that people say that chinese people have those 'slanted' eyes and talk all weird and bow down with their hands together and such (which is totally not true ). My eyes are pretty normal , even though I'm Chinese ... lol .But I guess in badminton , being chinese means that you play well ... or something like that . Even though that is absolutely not true . I hate racist people and I don't get why people think being Chinese is so special ... since all of us is unique and I don't think our background have much effect on who we are and such .

    - O b l i v i o u s . M e -
    lol!whats that? , maybe they say chinese talk weird becos they just dont understand chinese, for me anything but bahasa indonesia, english and basa jawa(one of many native languages in indonesia, for javanese people) sound weird so maybe thats the case
    well, about being chinese means that u play well, maybe thats just a stereotype, considering how the chinese are so dominating (maybe thats also becos to their gigantic population?), in badminton or any other sports

  12. #165
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Basement Boiler Room
    Posts
    22,118
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheung
    This is a topic close to my identity. Hope we can share some of what I have experienced............

    ABC - American/Australian Born Chinese,
    BBC - British Born Chinese
    CBC - Canadian (or could be China)
    IBC - Indonesian Born Chinese
    MBC - Malaysian Born Chinese
    SBC - S'porean Born Chinese....................haha you thought it meant S'pore BadmintonCentral

    My cousin is a JBC (Jamaican.NOT Japan!!)


    Here's something interesting I have experienced when moving to HK.

    Some local HK people accuse me of not being chinese.

    Why?
    I grew up overseas..OK, I wasn't even born in China, HK, Macau, Taiwan.
    I don't speak the language (cantonese)
    I can't read chinese.

    Believe me I have some stuff which I would take as personally insulting.

    What do you regard yourself as? A nationalised citizen of your country of birth or an overseas chinese? (i am of the 2nd and perhaps we can discuss why after a few people's comments)
    then how about this, daugther of abc working abroad


    ABCDEF - american born chinese dependent expat female
    Last edited by cooler; 11-19-2005 at 08:43 PM.

  13. #166
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    13,434
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cooler
    then how about this, daugther of abc working abroad


    ABCDEF - american born chinese dependent expat female
    But being an expat doesn't affect the ethnic origin of the child. (it does affect their children in a way relevant to this topic)
    It's just a complicated way of describing ABC, BBC, IBC etc.

    I know some chinese who went to Surinam, had their children there, the family moved to Holland and the next generation were born in Holland. So this last generation can be classified as DBC (dutch born chinese)/ NBC (Netherland brn chinese) whichever term is preferred.

  14. #167
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    76
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default We all are Chinese , but different peoples

    the mainland Chinese, taiwanese, and Hong kongers ( it that such things ?)
    are chinese by all definition, but yet there so different in so different.

    During my college time in Canada, met fews (chinese) friends from Brazil, Mauritius, and venezuela, all of them are billingual, english +( Portugese, French , and spanish ), only one speak some chinese dialects..

    As a former PM Lee Kwan Yew put it, yes we are chinese but we are different peoples ( when he refers to mainland and Singaporean chinese )..

  15. #168
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    London, Cardiff, Malaysia
    Posts
    518
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Great to be chinese

    Like some fellow BF'ers, I'm Malaysian born chinese. I am multilingual and I grasp language easily. I speak malay like a malay (fasih giler shiut~!) mainly due to the Ujang comics I read and the heaps of malay friends I have. However I speak chinese like a mainlander chinese does. My mandarin improves while I'm at uni (I still am) and my accent is of those from mainland China. The same goes to hokkien and hakka. However I speak cantonese like a Hong Kong people. Though at times, I'm considered as second class in the UK, yet I kinda happy to be a chinese albeit a Malaysian Chinese. Probably because I have no restricitions to food~! I can eat anything~ yippee~! Moreoever, I believe we chinese adapt easily anywhere in any country. Any chinese agreeing with me?

  16. #169
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    117
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    To quote the former PM of Singapore - Lee Kuan Yew:

    A lot of us who are not 'Mainland' Chinese are like Bananas - Yellow on the outside and white on the inside. This to me is somewhat a compliment rather than an insult.

    I have the good fortune to travel extensively and always interested in seeking out the "Chinatown" of where ever I went. And when I start peeling off the different layers of influences the culture of the countries has on these people, I always find a strong core that defines the Chineseness in all of us.

  17. #170
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Basement Boiler Room
    Posts
    22,118
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shuttlebugs
    To quote the former PM of Singapore - Lee Kuan Yew:

    A lot of us who are not 'Mainland' Chinese are like Bananas - Yellow on the outside and white on the inside. This to me is somewhat a compliment rather than an insult.

    I have the good fortune to travel extensively and always interested in seeking out the "Chinatown" of where ever I went. And when I start peeling off the different layers of influences the culture of the countries has on these people, I always find a strong core that defines the Chineseness in all of us.
    http://www.bananaboys.com/reviews/banana.html

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Chinese men outperfrom Chinese women now
    By 2cents in forum Thailand / Singapore / Indonesia Open 2011
    Replies: 28
    : 06-26-2011, 02:09 PM
  2. Chinese badminton team celebrate Chinese new Year
    By ThePlayer in forum China Professional Players
    Replies: 37
    : 02-04-2008, 06:41 PM
  3. Chinese TV
    By jump_smash in forum Sudirman Cup 2005
    Replies: 3
    : 05-08-2005, 01:53 AM
  4. chinese
    By chenwei in forum General Forum
    Replies: 4
    : 05-14-2003, 09:45 AM
  5. you know you are chinese if......
    By badrad in forum Chit-Chat
    Replies: 24
    : 04-02-2003, 07:11 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •