User Tag List

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

So, do we have a concensus?

Can a 'Chinese' person be defined as one of chinese descent?

How much a 'chinese' a person feels is a question of culture. I don't think if you happened to be very Westernised in attitude, you cannot suddenly stop being ethnically chinese.....I think you are still chinese and also have the choice of supportting Brazil in the world cup!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup, think I can agree with tt. If u're born Chinese, you can't change tt. But how much you feel depends very much on urself. Oh btw, I support Brazil in the World Cup! YAY!!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

booo! England! and China!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by JChen99
    Phil, with the chopsticks, it's true wutever suits you is good... jus lik how u hold ur pencils

When i first got to Canada, i reconed the same thing as you, the needlessness of chinese in canada, but now I realized that iz even more important than english... especially when ur in Richmond

and the thing with Mahjong... is it the cantonese 13 peice version or the Taiwnese 16 peice system ur talkin about?
    Haha, I also hold my pencils wrong as well. Maybe why my writing is messy....

Well, I live in a town of about 50,000 that is probably 97% Caucasian, and the remaining 3% are the rest of us, asians, blacks, italians, etc. Safe to say Chinese has little use here. If I lived in Toronto, then I could say yes, I would still have my Cantonese knowledge, along with perhaps some Mandarin.

As for the Mah-Jong, it is the, um, uh, I didn't know there was a different version. The one I play is you get 13 tiles at the start. Three blocks of 4 and 1 extra. So this is Taiwanese?

Phil

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Phil

As for the Mah-Jong, it is the, um, uh, I didn't know there was a different version. The one I play is you get 13 tiles at the start. Three blocks of 4 and 1 extra. So this is Taiwanese?

Phil
    Grand Opening!!!

Mah-Jong Forum.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default We are all Chinese.

No matter what people say, we are all Chinese. Yes, we didn't grow up in HK, Taiwan, mainland etc.. Who cares if you are a "jook sing" or banana. If one has a little Chinese thinking, values and traditions then one is Chinese. Cheung, being able to learn cantonese now is not too late. We cares what people say...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Bbn
    A lot of younger Non-Taiwanese are not aware
    that taiwan was part of Japan for a few decades
    and that local culture has a strong Japanese influence,
    and many older Taiwanese still bear Japanese names.
    Is that what is irritating or embarassing?
    I am aware that once Taiwan was part of Japan but I don't find that irritating or embarassing. What's irritating is the notion that people somehow think that all asians are the same, i.e. korean, japanese, chinese, taiwanese, etc. are essentially like people from different "states" of Asia.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Originally posted by jwu
    I am aware that once Taiwan was part of Japan but I don't find that irritating or embarassing. What's irritating is the notion that people somehow think that all asians are the same, i.e. korean, japanese, chinese, taiwanese, etc. are essentially like people from different "states" of Asia.
    well, i wouldn't be too angry about that. it is more the lack of knowledge in their part instead of any deliberate insult. and lack of knowledge is not a fault.

think about it in a different way, are you able to tell apart people from all African countries? i cannot. if someone from say African country A come up to me, i wouldn't know the difference between them and someone from African country B.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sorry, guess once again I left something out in my post. The ignorance isn't a problem, it's the "I don't care" attitude I guess. whenever I would enlighten my former school peers with the finer differences of each asian countries and their own cultures, the response I received would usually be "oh well, same thing really." So it's more of a combination between ignorance and choosing to remain ignorant that bothers me. Anyway, enough ranting about that.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Originally posted by jwu
    sorry, guess once again I left something out in my post. The ignorance isn't a problem, it's the "I don't care" attitude I guess. whenever I would enlighten my former school peers with the finer differences of each asian countries and their own cultures, the response I received would usually be "oh well, same thing really." So it's more of a combination between ignorance and choosing to remain ignorant that bothers me. Anyway, enough ranting about that.
    oh, i c, i c. yes. that is indeed annoying. but oh well, less knowledge to them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by kwun
    oh, i c, i c. yes. that is indeed annoying. but oh well, less knowledge to them.
    yes, surely is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great topic.

I was born in Canada, my parents are from Taiwan. When people ask me, "Where are you from?" I respond "Canada." When they inevitably ask me, "No, I mean where are you from originally?" I say, "I'm originally from Canada, I was born in Canada." When they inevitably get irritated and ask me, "Well, where are your parents from?" I say, "Taiwan," and they ask me why I don't say I'm Taiwanese. I hate this line of questioning by the way.

My feeling is that I am neither chinese nor western. I have adapted elements of both. I don't really feel like I fit in with the western culture, nor do I feel that I fit in with asian culture (I can't stand chinese rap music, or karaoke!). I love japanese animation and asian food, but prefer western movies and tv with some exceptions (Jackie chan and Jet Li!).

I speak fluent Mandarin with little or no accent, but limited vocabulary. I can't read or write more than 30 words. I visited asia for 2 months in 97, when I came back I saw all the white people and felt like a foreigner. Sometimes I feel that both asians and westerners see me as a foreigner, and treat me like one too.

I knew a Nigerian man who did his PhD in china, spoke better chinese than me, and had a chinese girlfriend. He asked me what race I thought I was and was offended when I told him I was racially chinese. He couldn't understand how anybody who had never been to China could think they were chinese. He told me he was more chinese than me.

I also don't feel at home with most other CBC's or ABC's. I feel they are too westernized for me (hilarious, I know!). Actually, I feel most comfortable with first gen asian immigrants who have been in the west for 5-10 years.

I guess I am very confused. I exist somewhere in the middle. Does that make me Hawaiian? lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol
    how does he have the nerve to say you are not chinese??

btw, this is becoming asian avenue or something

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by TOmike
    how does he have the nerve to say you are not chinese??
    I feel the same way. It is my experience that almost all xBC's have no problem with me being chinese, but that chinese people from China almost all uniformly consider me to be not chinese. I presume he picked up this attitude during his stay in China.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To Coupii,

in some people's eyes you just can never win.

thats y i kinda think that one of my benchmarks for evaluating chinese (if possible) is whether you follow the chinese traditions, even though there's a bit of modernisation to that as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry, posting a little late again but I suppose as the famous saying goes, "better late than never (I hope)"...

Actually wrt the XBCs... I must admit tt when I first got the States, I was terribly unimpressed by their attitude. Of course, I know better that there are exceptions to every rule and maybe it's just my poor luck for meeting such s***ty ppl but most of them left me with the feeling tt they simply cldn't care less abt their culture, race, heritage, whatever. I mean, if you can't speak Chinese (in Mandarin or any other forms), fine; but you dun have to behave as though you were ashamed of your own roots. Honestly, I have (hopefully) never despised anybody in my entire life before until I met these ppl who know nothing about being Chinese and don't seem to care. It's one thing not to know why we eat bak zhang (rou4 zhong4), mooncakes or tang1 yuan2 on the respective festivals, but another to be so nonchalent about it - as if this lack of knowledge made you seem superior to us poor FOBs. Sometimes when I ask some ABCs if they can speak Chinese, they just go "NO" in that and-why-the-hell-should-I-care manner, which pisses the s*** out of me.

Another thing that thoroughly riles me is that a lot of them are so obsessed with other people's cultures, when they know nothing about their own. At Northwestern, there are SO MANY Chinese in the Korean-American Students' Association, even my Korean friends sometimes ask me in this semi-annoyed, semi-puzzled manner what the heck they are doing there. And a lot of these ABCs try their best to act substantially Korean, from hanging out mostly with Koreans to taking Korean language and taekwondo lessons and even dressing like the ABKs. Let me clarify that I am not against the idea of immersing yourself in someone else's culture in the hope of wanting to learn more abt it. But a huge no. of these numbskulls know nuts about their own customs and traditions, cannot speak Mandarin and despise China and Chinese people as if they were still stuck in the Cultural Revolution. It was as though they couldn't give a damn about their own identities and were trying TOO HARD to superimpose some other identity on themselves. I was so pissed to see people like that, I think for the first half-year I was at NU, I called home like 3 times every week to curse and swear at these people (and I'm not kidding).

My first Chinese NY away from home was kind of hard because it suddenly dawned on me that not only was I stuck in a place tt doesn't officially celebrate what I've grown so used to celebrating, but that even the people who should care about it don't. Recall that I spent the entire first day crying and cursing (I curse a lot when I cry, yes) and saying that I wanted to go home. Days 2 and 3 were better - I found every Chinese and Korean FOB I knew and wished them Happy Lunar New Yr. This yr, I'm planning to get my apartment cleaned on time and buy 30 Mandarin oranges (2 for each day). For the uninitiated, eating Mandarin oranges on CNY is part of Singaporean (and I think, Malaysian) Chinese custom.

To end another very long post (my apologies), I must add that at least from what I've seen, the Korean parents do a better job of raising their kids in that most ABKs can speak some Korean (with varying degrees of fluency) and know more about their customs, festivities etc. that ABC kids do. That is one thing about Koreans that I respect tremendously and I wish more Chinese parents will be like that as well. Remember saying in the post abt having kids that I wldn't know what the proper way to raise children is. But one thing I do know: my kids (if by any fatal chance that I do have them) MUST grow up learning how to speak Mandarin. And celebrate CNY.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adel,
    totally agree.my friends from school are all immersed in different cultures, but they are better off than what you are depicting for us, cuz they do know varying degrees of chinese, even though it might be a little harsh to the ears
    but its just that they read too much ANIME! for god's sake maybe i'm being a bit radical here, but i believe that Anime is the social evil of the 21st century for asian boys between 14 - 35. feel free to disagree. but some of the ppl i know are so into it its sad.. i mean, go play badminton or something!

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast