User Tag List

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Yap
    b4 this turns into a rotal rumble,in my opinion , the english word "chinese" is causing
    some mix up here.
    HongKies ARE chinese.
    If u argue not,then y the heck do they celebrate CNY and practice a lot of the traditions?
    The english word "chinese" actually doesn't specify clearly.but thats not y i posted this reply in the first place.........
    HKer's are Chinese but not for the reason you say. Some Chinese don't celebrate CNY. I used to have to study or go to work on CNY until coming out to HK.

Being a "Chinese Person" doesn't mean you have to practice any cultural traditions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But does it mean not practising these cultural traditions means you are not Chinese?

I do understand the differences regarding nationality and ethniticity. Even though a caucasian is born and raised in China, does that make him any more Chinese or less "gwai lo" in any way?

To me it's not all appearances. But to some, it seems that if you look the part and seem to be able to act the part, then you are Chinese and you have to abode by the rules that govern Chinese people. If you do not agree and practise all the customs relating to that ethniticity then you are not Chinese.

Hong Kong chinese has evolved a lot compared to traditional Chinese from China, in my opinion and therefore you cannot talk about them under the same breath. You argue about the celebration of CNY but how western celebrations like christmas? Without crossing into religion, why do people in China celebrate Xmas? and how much of the population does this?

I never said Hong Kong people are not Chinese. I just believe that they are a sub branch. To say Hong Kong people are not Chinese, is like saying Geroge Bush is not a silly @ss.

Regarding the wording of Chinese. In Chinese language, an overseas chinese is generally regarded as "wa Kiu" (cantonese) no? and what they mean of "Chung Kwok yan" is Chinese people of China no?

I'm getting confused now.

Are we talking about one's identity? or the identity of an overseas chinese person?

On the other hand, if we are all from the same mould and are all Chinese, then where has all the prejudice/prejustice and name calling come from? Is the fact that being called a "jook sing jai" because one is born in a foreign country? does that make one less Chinese then? because they are not as pure?

Take cars for example. Honda is a japanese company. Honda is synonymous with Japanese and Cars. However there are some mainstream models which are built and assembled in UK. It may look like a Honda and sports a Honda badge, BUT it was designed and built in UK with parts and engine from Rover (UK company). We have no doubt that it is a car and a Honda. BUT is it a Japanese Car???

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Wizbit
    But does it mean not practising these cultural traditions means you are not Chinese?
    To me, a person who doesn't practice chinese traditions but is ethnically chinese is chinese!

The example of the car is not so good because cars don't have genetic material.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Seems everyone..

This is probably the best topic I've read on BC. The best topic but also the most confusing topic. Seems like everyone is confused about the word "Chinese." There is no concrete answer on whether or not you are Chinese. Keep the topic going everybody.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Cheung
    The example of the car is not so good because cars don't have genetic material.
    LOL good rebuttal

Go Ms HK, darn man

oh back to topic.. yes, chinese food is good

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Miss Toronto is very beautiful. So are the other 2. Are they badminton players? Huh topic? What topic!?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guessed it will be a career of show biz in HK for her.

Didn't stars like Michelle Yeoh, Michelle Reis, Maggie Cheung, etc. got their start as winners of beauty pagents?

Viver! Aren't these ladies a little too young for you???

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Winex West Can
    Guessed it will be a career of show biz in HK for her.

Didn't stars like Michelle Yeoh, Michelle Reis, Maggie Cheung, etc. got their start as winners of beauty pagents?

Viver! Aren't these ladies a little too young for you???
    Hey WWC, we sports people are always young, at least in heart. Remember that 80+ guy who married the Playboy centerfold. You're never too old but I am just not a billionaire like him (Good my wife is not around, otherwise...)

Sorry guys, go back to the topic I digressed off because Bbn made me so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by viver
    Hey WWC, we sports people are always young, at least in heart. Remember that 80+ guy who married the Playboy centerfold. You're never too old but I am just not a billionaire like him (Good my wife is not around, otherwise...)

Sorry guys, go back to the topic I digressed off because Bbn made me so.
    Viver, i believe it was the other way around, she married him.

Don't worry, you're in topic. I saw the word 'badminton' mentioned in your previous post so you're safe . I think most chinese (and non chinese too) have played badminton before one time in their life. It is us fanatics that play more than others.

On a similar topic, at the restaurant (after badminton, with my badminton bag beside me), one player show me a large personally autographed photo of 2003 Miss Rodeo. She actually had played badminton in one our club once or twice before.
    Last edited by cooler; 01-26-2003 at 03:32 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Here viver, there're more for u to look at

*nudges you from calgary*
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hahah, speaking of beauty pagent, I was at my in-laws and they had the Fairchild station on (a few months ago). The programme was the Ms. Toronto Chinatown pagent. I remembered that it was quite dorky as they have the contestants in bikinis with their hair all done up in some weird fashion involved in a game quiz contest. Well, the game itself took a while as the winner has to answer 3 correct questions.

As for the topic, ABC, etc. well, I am a zero-generation Chinese Canadian (came over when I was 17 years from Brunei); full-blooded Chinese (both parents are Chinese) but don't read or write Chinese and barely speak passable Mandarin; English-educated. So am I Chinese? Well, yeah! although I can tell you that I have Chinese friends who considered me to be a banana.

Maybe it is just different shades of Chineseness. Is a non-Chinese person who is born and raised in China considered Chinese (ethically no but culturally yes)? I think when you refer to this person as Chinese, you are referring to his nationality but if you say that he is not Chinese (you mean ethically).

Both my daughters are Chinese (full blooded) but do not speak or write Chinese and I hope that they will pick up the Chinese culture (e.g. understand some of the stories, folk lores, festivals, etc).

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

WWC and Viver,

exactly!!

so long as you don't open your mouth, a China person would say you were Chinese. So would a Causcasian, African, Indian etc.

Therefore, being chinese is not a matter of culture. It is in one's own genes and cannot be denied.

However, culture can be denied, rejected etc

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Cheung
    WWC and Viver,

exactly!!

so long as you don't open your mouth, a China person would say you were Chinese. So would a Causcasian, African, Indian etc.

Therefore, being chinese is not a matter of culture. It is in one's own genes and cannot be denied.

However, culture can be denied, rejected etc
    I don't have any problem talking. So far none said that I am non Chinese, that is until I ask for a non Chinese menu. It happened to me in a restaurant (it was in HK) when the waitress handed a Chinese menu to me. I politely asked for a non-Chinese menu - you should have looked the way she looked back at me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It's the same type of problem I face when I am in HK. I try to memory the Chinese character of the dishes I like before I order. However, there is time when I just can't recall so I get the LOOK from the waitress or waiter. They are thinking, "This guy can speak fluent Cantonese but ask for an English menu?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

some of you guys can be considered as banana split.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by cooler
    some of you guys can be considered as banana split.
    Hahah...good one, cooler...I can see it now. Banana split with a scoop of coconut ice cream (white) in the middle and two scoops of vanilla (yellow) ice cream on the outside...

Viver, wrt the menu thing. It is the same here in Vancouver although the LOOK is not as obvious as in HK. When we go into a Chinese restaurant, we will be given the menu along with the specials menu (usually in Chinese) and have to ask for one. One time, this restaurant didn't have a translated version and the waiter was kind enough to tell us in English what was on special.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast