User Tag List

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Invite them to watch this old corny movie.

Reminds you of your struggle as a Singaporean.

Read LKY's memoirs ?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Good statement Adel.

Some people go through different maturing processes (like cheese).

So even if they deny their own background culture (as being 'uncool') later they may change.

In the end, my own philosophy is to be open minded to all people. After all, you can learn many different things and it would be a waste to reject somebody just because they were more Asian than one's ownself. That principle applies to everything, not just ethnic status

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Bbn
    Invite them to watch this old corny movie.

Reminds you of your struggle as a Singaporean.

Read LKY's memoirs ?
    darn... cant get it off Kazaa... kno anywhere else I can get this movie?
    Last edited by JChen99; 02-04-2003 at 10:20 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Latest Singaporean Offering.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This must be best part. Of course you have to read the Farquhar very fast.

The next best is www.hootyou.com.

Hoot in Fujianese means wallop and is the favourite word of the gangster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WAH LAU EH!

For the uninitiated, Farquhar is read (sth like) "F***er". Yes, tt's the accurate pronunciation, not juz coz I'm trying to be crude or anything.

Just finished my SEA politics midterm today. A bit strange that I'm doing SEA in the States but it has been fun so far. And the prof's apparently wanted by the Indonesian govt so I can try shooting him if I get desperate enough for some duit.

Bbn, how come u have all these cool wee-CDs and D-wee-Ds?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Homesick,eh? Get your parents to send you one.

Well I learnt from this ghastly vcd Singaporean Innovations of

Familiar words like"cheese bun" and "Lunch box".Also much from the storeyteller

"Kong Hai Ku".

How do all these compare with HK innovations like "Eat Tofu" ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adel,

Now that you have clarified your point, I am beginning to see where all the anger is coming from.

Firstly may I say that as a self-proclaimed FOB your English is most excellent. But then I thought you was from mainland China so I guess English is as common as excess oil and grease in Chinese takeaway food!

FOB is usually reserved to define a person from mainland. We'd just call you Singaporean unless you really arrived on a boat LOL

For whatever reason that you hate this particular group of ABCs for...because of their rejection of their culture and prejudice towards other Chinese people or because of personal conflicts I do not know. But one thing to bear in mind is that life is very difficult for someone that is born or raised in a 'foreign' country. Bullying and abuse is rife throughout kindergarten/nursery to high school/secondary school. Having a Chinese label attached to you can make your life hell, looking Chinese makes it worse. Especially in poorly educated areas where racism exists in abundance. How many times have your 'friends' asked you if you have tried eating dog?

There are relatively not that many Chinese people here. Everyone else is not fascinated by Chinese culture either. It is easier to forget about the non essential things including culture and try to blend in with your other daily peers instead. The tag 'Chinese' is also made mad by foreign press. Chinese are portayed as cruel, stubborn, cold and heartless people with poor attitudes and little regard for others. Much of this has been blamed on the Chinese government. With the arrival of a new 'younger' minister, things hopefully may change.

Culture along with religion is also being made into a fashion. To be Korean and Japanese is 'in'. These people just want to look 'cool.' Comparatively is it wrong for a child born into a Christian family to later convert to Islam to his own accord? No one can deny that this group of people are of Chinese descent. As a matter of interest, how old is this group of people?

To me you are trying to group and class people together. This is human nature of course, but this organised approach seems inappropriate in this particular instance in this chaotic world. Accept people as individuals and who they are rather than what they are supposed to be. Same as you would respect a gothic, a disabled person or person of another religion. But then this is a western philosophy. Surely one would be locked up for thinking of this in China

If God made all men equal, how come there are Kings yet there are slaves. Was there some small footprint that said status was not garunteed? Likewise, why are Chinese and other asian people deemed inferior. An IQ test was performed on whites, asians and black people. The results were asians (inc Chinese) came first followed by whites and then black. I have no idea where and when these test were performed. Would this mean asians are the cleverest race? of course all the people here are educated enough to know the answer

There is this old joke, I do not know if you have heard it. It is *offensive but hope you can all see the funny side.

God was making man and was cooking them in a pot. The first lot he made was undercooked and was still raw. He called them whites. The next lot he made was overcooked and burnt. He called this blacks. The last lot was perfect, golden and crispy. He called these Asians.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Wizbit

If God made all men equal, how come there are Kings yet there are slaves. Was there some small footprint that said status was not garunteed? Likewise, why are Chinese and other asian people deemed inferior. An IQ test was performed on whites, asians and black people. The results were asians (inc Chinese) came first followed by whites and then black. I have no idea where and when these test were performed. Would this mean asians are the cleverest race? of course all the people here are educated enough to know the answer
    I remember reading about a study done many years ago by an University professor in Toronto. According to him/her, the studies show Chinese to be the most intelligent people and then very closely the Jewish and then ...??. One of the many reasons he found to justify the conclusions of his studies is their ability to adapt and survive during the times of history. Knowledge and experiences passed through generations made them wiser and better equipped to survive. Well that's all that I remember from the article that I read.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

*shake head*

Can't really believe chinese are all that clever.

What might be a more plausible explanation is that via culture, immigrant groups are more adaptable.

Jewish and Chinese via their culture are more inclined to work hard at academic disciplines in places where they are a minority. And academic ability is one thing that can measured by a psychologist more easily under controlled conditions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default politics in Ina

Read this article from Sunday's Star on line under

"comment" section. Cannot possibly reproduce this on this page.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

weird...i didnt think that such a topic would go on for so many pages!!!!
    sooo i speak 100% fluent cantonese
    can read/write chinese
    listen to chinese music
    raised by chinese speaking parents
    always thought of as being originated from HK

BUT

i am born in Canada....so what does that make me? :P

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Canadian Nationality, Ethnic Chinese

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Before posting, let me just apologize once again for the tardiness and for persisting in arguing on a thread that has already been closed (well, not officially though) - given especially the uncertainty in the world today what with the war, SARS, a depressing economy and erm... Leslie Cheung's suicide? But I like closure so allow me to express my two-pence worth yet again.

But one thing to bear in mind is that life is very difficult for someone that is born or raised in a 'foreign' country. Bullying and abuse is rife throughout kindergarten/nursery to high school/secondary school. Having a Chinese label attached to you can make your life hell, looking Chinese makes it worse. Especially in poorly educated areas where racism exists in abundance. How many times have your 'friends' asked you if you have tried eating dog?

>>>>>> Fortunately for me, I am currently enrolled at a university with a large number of International students and a huge Asian-American community. Indeed, my experience with White students has been largely pleasant - even better than with the XBCs so to speak. Perhaps, this is because at college, people are old and educated enough to know better and I do count my lucky stars for that.

Wrt the dog issue, I have been spared this question primarily because 7 in 10 people mistake me for Vietnamese. I do not have the fair skin that characterizes a lot of Oriental East Asians and my last name "Tan" closely resembles Vietnamese surnames for those who are unfamiliar with Chinese dialects. Besides, in the US of A where there is a sizeable Korean population, they are the ones reputed for canine-munching, not the Chinese or Vietnamese although both these races love doggy on their plates as well.

There are relatively not that many Chinese people here. Everyone else is not fascinated by Chinese culture either.

>>>>>> Here, thanks to Lee Ang's "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon" which I personally felt was hideous, many people have a fascination with Chinese-ness of some sort. I see t-shirts with Chinese characters and pictures of Buddha on them, as well as bags embroidered with Tang dynasty poems.

Culture along with religion is also being made into a fashion. To be Korean and Japanese is 'in'. These people just want to look 'cool.' Comparatively is it wrong for a child born into a Christian family to later convert to Islam to his own accord?

>>>>>> IMHO, you can't compare apples and oranges. No, I will not blame someone who converts to Islam (from any religion) if he truly understands the religion and feels that it will cater to his life better than any other belief. But if that someone were to tell me that he is chooses to become Muslim because it is "cool" or "in" to be Muslim, I will have a hard time taking him seriously.

Apart from indulging in the Chinese kisch that I mentioned above, there are also Americans who support the Free Tibet movement and profess to be followers or fans of the Dalai Lama. My question is this: do they really believe in the cause or are they doing it only because Richard Gere and the Smashing Pumpkins are advocates? I don't deny that pop culture has become part and parcel of tradition, heritage and even religious beliefs. And put this way, I suppose Chinese people only have themselves to blame for not producing any teeny bopper pop idol that everybody wants to imitate!

Accept people as individuals and who they are rather than what they are supposed to be. Same as you would respect a gothic, a disabled person or person of another religion. But then this is a western philosophy. Surely one would be locked up for thinking of this in China

>>>>>> I have my suspicions of any idea that attributes itself to a particular race or culture. No hard feelings against Westerners here but if they really were so open-minded, why the prevalence of prenology and physiognomy during the 18th century, where people's skulls and facial angles were studied to determine how similar or different each race or nationality was? Why the use of terms like "Chink" or the derogatory portrayal of Chinese you yorself mentioned? I don't even want to mention historical events like the Holocaust.

Of course, I balk at the thought of stereo-typing people according to their races. I especially hate it when family members tell me that I have become Americanized when I put forward a point of view that differs from theirs. The way I see it, putting labels on people is closing the doors on any possibillity of discussion. It is like saying, "I am Chinese and you are White and we can never come to terms so let's just forget about the whole thing." It is a very easy of excusing yourself from having to dwell deeper into manners and I don't deny that I often indulge in it. But I do not believe that such thinking is restricted only to Chinese or Asians.

At the end of the day, I like to think that there is nothing wrong with being proud of one's culture or heritage - so long as we are able to celebrate each other's individuality and the fact that we are all part of a common human race.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From my experience, there are 2 points of view. From a "gwai lo" pont of view, if you look like a duck and quack like a duck, then you are a duck. No matter where you were born, how long you have lived abroad, how westernized you are, or what accent you speak with, if you are a Mongoloid in race, sooner or later, someone will ask you if you are from China. That's when you will be reminded that you are Chinese, whether you want to admit it or not.

From an Asian's point of view, the distinction is finer. There is more splitting of the hairs to subdivide a certain individual into subgroups, according to where they were born, where they grew up/ educated, what accent they have, how they dress, the tradition they observe.... etc.

An anology is the English, Scots, Welsh and Irish. Their distinction is only of importance if you are one of the 4 groups. To everyone else, they are British!

Even though Cheung was born and bred in England, and is English in every other way, I am sure he was treated differently when he was living there. There is always that glass ceiling. That's when it would hit home that no matter how English he feels, he is ultimately a Chinese.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Originally posted by AKFT
    That's when it would hit home that no matter how English he feels, he is ultimately a Chinese.
    Don;t feel as English as you might think

But my gripe is, why HKchinese don't see it that way? (or at least a fair number think that way).

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast