User Tag List

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oops. its chinese. hmm. i don't know what racial sentiments thing.
    Not all Chinese is chinese.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I consider myself in the following way

Race: Chinese
    Nationality: Malaysian

I was born in the US but left the US when I was 1 and grew up in Malaysia. I am now back in the US for Uni. Malaysia will always be home to me therefore I consider myself as a Malaysian(Nationality). My father, Mother, Grand-great grand fathers and mothers were all chinese that came to Malaysia so I consider Chinese to be my race and heritage. Since I grew up in Malaysia, I do speak Chinese(Cant, Mand, Hokkien, Hakka) but lack the writing and reading skills.

As for people telling me that I am not chinese... doesnt really bother me... as i know their definition of a chinese is different from mine. I am a Malaysian Chinese who just so happens to be an American citizen...hehehe

calvin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm an IBC
    Indonesian born chinese
    nationality:Indonesian
    Ethnicity:Chinese

Can't speak or read chinese nor understand it
    Doesnt really look like a chinese
    Don't listen to chinese songs
    But interested in Chinese guys
    I have a rare chinese surname that starts with N!!
    My family, parents n parents'families speak in Indonesian language

I dunno what to consider myself as
    Last edited by SDK-MSN; 05-21-2004 at 09:11 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default hmmm

well i was born in hk.. but i've been in london for 8 years now.. i guess im still very oriental and enjoy sticking to my roots.. but i hate it when people call me a FOB!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My guess is that some people take comfort in being more 'authentic' than others. Which I think hurts those less secure in themselves. Sorta on the same line as "we are all equal, but some are MORE EQUAL than others". It's just pure pettiness to turn competitive by questioning others' ethnicity. I read somewhere that the great Tang Xian Fu has some difficulties with Mandarin and occasionally used some Indonesian words for terms he's not familiar in Mandarin. Does that make him any less Chinese than people more fluent than him?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I'm an ABC (American Born Chinese) and I speak cantonese fluently and understand it and learned some chinese words. (Sometimes people mistaken me for being born in HK since my accent is very close to that) My parents are both chinese and my mom was from HK while my dad was born in Vietnam but full chinese. I also learned chinese in chinese school alongside of my studies in normal school (english school).

I am proud of the fact that I am chinese. I think that the fact that you are ethnicly chinese makes you chinese. It is more of as a race thing more than a nationality thing. People say that you're not chinese is only the fact that they don't accept the fact that you were born outside China (including HK, macau, and taiwan) I submerge my self into the chinese culture and watch tv shows that have chinese (cantonese and manderin) and listen to canto pop, jpop, and kpop. I like the fact that I am chinese. However some chinese people in america try to distance themselves from the fact that they are chinese and try to blend in to the american culture. as for those people that do not claim or is proud to be chinese is still consider them chinese.

*have a nice day*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I was born in HK and came to the US when I was 13 year old. I still proud and considering myself as Chinese. I can speak and write chinese fluently so that's why my English is suck . I've known many ppls ( including some of my friends ) out there still fighting whether you are chinese or not. The important thing is that you feel like it. Dont bother to what ppl look to you. So In my opinion, I think dont set out a standard to define about how to being Chinese.

(It's just a funny fact) when I was talking to my friend in HK on the phone very long time ago because I got confused at that time whether I should say I am Chinese or Chinese American ( I wasnt borned in US ). So I asked her whether she considered herself as the chinese or ppl in HK, she told me don't mix with ppls from mainland China ( China still developing at that time ). I asked her why and her simply told me we were from different groups that couldnt be mixed. Even our own kinds sometimes isolate other groups from our own backyard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amazing, this thread is still alive!

My personal view on myself.

First, a Malaysian.
    Second, a chinese.
    Never a Chinese.

Unlike my dad, I my detachment from the country of China is almost a complete one, even in terms of heritage and culture simply because I wasn't born there and I believe I owe my allegiance to the country that gave me a home, a job and a life. It's like one's own mother, you do not show greater love to another woman except to your spouse and it's the same with nationalities.

Tradition-wise, cultural-wise, yes, I hold on to what that is handed down by my parents and their parents before, who aren't even Chinese to begin with. (Notice the 'C' and 'c').

Thus, when I am asked if I am a chinese, I will answer yes and it's in the context of a chinese ethnic without any feelings or sentiments for China. I think all of you have seen that in action during The Thomas Cup and Olympics..

In case I offended anybody, my humble apologies.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wilfredlgf,

I think China has a different attitude about it though. As long as you're chinese, you have the option of repatriation back to China as you wish. So with that policy, they welcome you with open arms but how you're gonna live there is another different matter.

I, too, share your sentiment. I often wonder why Chinese ex-pats would rhapsodize praise to the "Motherland" while they denigrate their host country. If it's so great, why did they move out of there in the first place. My country is where my home is. Well, home is nowhere near China. And yes, I am chinese but my allegiance lies with the country that nourished me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wil and Cappy, both of you should be commended for holding such loyalty to the nations of your birth or the nations in which you reside/call home!!!

I think Chinese nationalism is most apparent in individuals who were born in the motherland or have received at least early-age education there. For example, I see this kind of allegiance to China from every FOBer I know. Of course, many times, parental factors can also influence one's views. If the parents were born in China and hold much affection towards the country, then naturally the children will be brought up to do the same. Many Chinese Canadian kids that I know who were born in Canada do not hold any type of bond towards China... they'd much rather identify themselves with Canadians than with their own ethnicity.

Ultimately, I don't think it's any type of betrayal or treason at all for an individual of Chinese ethnicity to not cheer or to not support China, as long as that individual recognizes that he or she is chinese and not try to deny that fact.

And cappy, isn't repatriation to the motherland more difficult than that, as China does not accept dual citizenship?? So, if one is Canadian, then one is not Chinese. If he is Chinese, then he can't be Canadian, by Chinese law at least. So to become "Chinese" again, one would have to give up their new citizenship.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hugo,

Dunno much about the repatriation process but if it's simply going there and doing the paperworks, then it's simpler than emmigrating into Canada with its points system. If one really wants to be repatriated, then giving up previous citizenship should be a small matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo
    And cappy, isn't repatriation to the motherland more difficult than that, as China does not accept dual citizenship?? So, if one is Canadian, then one is not Chinese. If he is Chinese, then he can't be Canadian, by Chinese law at least. So to become "Chinese" again, one would have to give up their new citizenship.
    Last edited by cappy75; 08-29-2004 at 09:20 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Malaysian Chinese

I was born in malaysia...my parents born in malaysia...my grand and great grand parents born in China...I consider myself Malaysian Chinese...Chinese to me is more of Race more than the country...
    I speak Cantonese, Hokkien, Malay and English...and a little Mandarin...very little...but I am beginning to understand more...
    The funny thing was that when I was in college...I met and befriended many asian students from Taiwan, China, Hong Kong etc...and most of them speak Mandarin...and there are those that like had less respect for me cause I didnt speak Mandarin....like the moment they found out I dont speak it...it was like OOOOOOOO....what a shame....and a few even came right out and say I dont speak CHINESE and made fun of me...eventhough I can out-speak them in Cantonese and Hokkien....cause some of them only speak mandarin...but they had this proudness.....it was really weird...lol...
    When ever people ask me...I say I am Malaysian Chinese...I am a chinese born in malaysia...and if they look confused...I will add My Great Grand Parents came from China....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why can't we just get along? Who cares where we are born and which dialect we speak - we are all human race. We are supposed to contribute to the world in a good way, not creating conflict.
    I was born and raised in HK for 16 years and I recalled people in HK was prejudicial towards the Chinese from Mainland.
    No wonder Chinese history is full of civil war - brothers killing brothers.
    People who label others IMO has a very low confidence level. They have to degrade others in order to make themselves look good (kind of like a frog at the bottom of a well - narrow vision). Or they just afraid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I totally recognize my ancestry as Chinese...cause without them I would have not even been born in Malaysia...all my roots go back to China...etc...but I just get a little annoyed when certain chinese give you the ugly eye or frown on you just because you cannot speak Mandarin or write in Chinese....lol...doesnt matter if you know cantonese or hakka or hokkien etc...Yup people are people...and chinese is chinese regardless of whether you speak the same dialect or not...set aside the differences...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Is the cause of Chinese civil wars rooted in internal prejudices? I think not. It is more of absolute selfishness, power and greed.

Quote Originally Posted by OTFK
    Why can't we just get along? Who cares where we are born and which dialect we speak - we are all human race. We are supposed to contribute to the world in a good way, not creating conflict.
    I was born and raised in HK for 16 years and I recalled people in HK was prejudicial towards the Chinese from Mainland.
    No wonder Chinese history is full of civil war - brothers killing brothers.
    People who label others IMO has a very low confidence level. They have to degrade others in order to make themselves look good (kind of like a frog at the bottom of a well - narrow vision). Or they just afraid.
    Last edited by Pete LSD; 09-29-2004 at 03:36 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete LSD
    Is the cause of Chinese civil wars rooted in internal prejudices? I think not. It is more of absolute selfishness, power and greed.
    im no great historian but.........
    that should merely explain the reasons for actions of the upper class in society. the leaders actions. however to be an effective leader, one must be able to move the 'mob' in this case the ppl. so why would 'brother kill brother' just to follow king? obviously social seggregation and ethnocentrity among 'tribes' already existed in the mindsets of the ppl and these issues may have been used to 'fan the flame' so to speak by their respective leaders in order to achieve personal goals.

just a thought.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hrmm, this is indeed an interesting topic! I've browsed through some of it, but have not read through every single post on this thread yet.

Just some of my thoughts about this.

At the end of the day, how you decide to 'label' yourself is up to the individual.

I am a Malaysian Born Chinese, and consider myself Malaysian. I have Chinese heritage, and thus from an ethnic point of view am Chinese - very much so as how a white man is Caucasian, etc. From a nationality point of view, Malaysian though.

I would not consider myself truly part of the Chinese (as in people from China), as we have been brought up in different environments - I do not have the same type of thinking as a China-Chinese person would have.

However, I do practice similar traditions and speak similar languages, merely again because this is part of my upbringing as A MALAYSIAN - although our chinese traditions originate from China, they are very much a way of Malaysian life as it is. I speak chinese because again this is one part of the Malaysian lifestyle - plus, my family speaks chinese, and having the opportunity to learn chinese enhances my language capabilities and enables me to learn more about other countries - China, with its literature and practices - very much the same as how english enables me to learn about english speaking countries.

As many people on this thread have said, we are all human beings - just brought up in different environments. Why should we be 'labeled' as Chinese-who-are-not-Chinese? I for one do not consider myself as 'part' of the community if I were in China, as I am not - however I have the ability to speak Chinese with them and share some similar practices in terms of traditions. Again, neither would I consider another Malaysian-Chinese who is not able to speak Chinese as a 'flawed' Chinese - he/she is merely a Malaysian who cannot speak Chinese! (Although I would find it a shame that he/she does not learn the language as the opportunity to learn it is much higher in a multi-racial community such as Malaysia's - it is always good to learn more languages!).

Just my 2 cents

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast