Beginner looking for first proper racket.

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by emoray, Apr 18, 2010.

1. emoray

emoray Regular Member

I've now been playing for about 4 months, pretty much 4 times a week and I've out grown my old crappy Wilson.

I played my last couple of sessions with a Yonex nanospeed 100 and it had far more power than my old racket and I think I prefare the extra power.

As the NS100 is a head light racket, is there anything you can recommend around the £30-40 mark that has a bit more power to it? Obviously my technique is currently sub par due to the time I've been playing, so I think a flexible shaft is a must.

Thanks!

2. emoray

emoray Regular Member

Although saying all that. I guess I play more of a net game, rather than a big smash game. So maybe I'm better suited to a head light racket afterall. It's just that I have trouble with back line to backline shots when under pressure they fall short.

3. emoray

emoray Regular Member

Is there no edit function on this forum? :S

At the moment I'll be buying a Nanospeed 200 and a towel grip tomorrow morning if no one has any suggestions for the price.

4. friendlyed

friendlyed Regular Member

Student
    To be honest, i think all beginners should start off with a head heavy racket or an even balance, it helps develop muscles (will help your backline shots). Then when you get to a good enough standard you should swap if you still feel a head light is better.

Demolidor's pick seems good but try to get a hold of one to test first (always try to test one before you buy).

Heres one I found quick

http://www.sweatband.com/yonex-armortec-30--badminton-racket.html

flexible for a head heavy frame is quite hard to find , but medium is good for a beginner as well.

5. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Agree, the 6000 appears to be at least even balance from what I've seen mentioned in the metallix thread. On this site they give it a BP of 7 (out of 10), with the AT30 an 8, same as AT700. The HEAD sales at tennisnuts are usually one of the first things that come to mind in terms of value for money :). Tennisnuts has it at 286mm which should be nowehere near 7 out of 10 if AT700 is 8 :D. Anything near 290 should be fine ...

#6 demolidor, Apr 18, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2010