Stop 1on1 Training?? and go Group instead?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by ChocoStar888, Apr 18, 2010.

1. ChocoStar888

ChocoStar888 New Member

Hey guys, I have been training 1 on 1 with a coach for approx. 2 years now. He teaches mostly technique and doesn't really care about the fitness. He is a great coach though. He has brought me where I am today... So I'm wondering, should I stop and join group training with another coach that focuses mostly on stamina or should i stay or both training?? BTW i believe my technique is decent already. Thanks

Also, how often do you guys train?

2. ralph_lee

ralph_lee Regular Member

If you are paying for the training cost, it is good that he teaches you technique instead of asking u to do stamina training during the training course.
    For stamina, you can do it your own.
    Jogging, gym anything.

3. amleto

amleto Regular Member

jogging will hardly help at all for badminton stamina.

4. mamapoko

mamapoko Regular Member

Student
    then what helps??:confused:

5. friendlyed

friendlyed Regular Member

Student
    You can learn a lot from other players to help with stamina like ,shuttle runs, jogging, sprints etc, just ask some other badminton players. It doesn't exactly need to be taught how to train stamina, but technique does, so i would keep with your coach.

You could always go to a gym for advice since they have qualified sports people. I created my own routines by looking through this forum, youtube ,asking gym people and other badminton players. Heres a good site to get you started

http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/badminton-training.html

btw amleto does have a point that jogging is not actually for badminton stamina, this is because you don't run at a constant pace in badminton and for a very long time, you are actually changing speed all the time and stopping a lot. So Anaerobic exercise is much better compared with Aerobic exercise, they are both still needed though.

6. Drgn01

Drgn01 Regular Member

Student
    I can't give you any advice out of experience, since I've never had a personal coach, but personally, I think that if you believe you have nothing more to gain from going to 1on1 sessions, save the money and go in a group or even go on your own. I agree with ralph_lee in that it's better that you're spending your money and time on technique, which truely requires a good coach, rather than stamina and overall fitness, which you can easily do on your own (with the help of doing some research online about what excercises to do), or go in a group if you prefer.

Personally, if I had my own personal coach I would spend all my time with him doing technique and technique-related training, then on my own time do stamina and fitness training at a gym or at home. And then when I thought I was good enough and didn't require a coach (meaning you essentially know everything and have nothing else left to learn, and just have to practice/excercise on your own to perfect it) or only had things left that didn't require a badminton coach, i.e. training for stamina, leg-explosiveness, ect., then I would stop paying for personal lessons.

All-in-all, it's up to you and how good you feel you are or what you think you have left to work on.

7. Aspire

Aspire Regular Member

Manager
    Rope skipping at a fast and consistent pace.

8. Addict123

Addict123 Regular Member

Watch your knees though.

HIIT or short distance running is nice as well, anything that is intense, really. "Jogging" means medium-long slow runs, and those don't do much for badminton.

9. mamapoko

mamapoko Regular Member

Student
    sorry to invade.
    in my training,
    we have matches before drills
    sometimes i feel very tired after matches,
    do u think skipping/sprinting might help?:confused:

10. Addict123

Addict123 Regular Member

Sprinting/skipping will improve your metabolism, i.e. your heart, your central nervous system, your lung etc.; the same effort will feel easier to you.

Whether that helps with your problem of drilling after playing? No idea! If you go all out in your games (i.e., increase your effort), you will be "finished" afterwards no matter how fit you are. But if you are one of the best players in your group, and the others are not able to really push you, then you might come out better.

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I think that's more to do with the instructor's style of teaching, rather than 1 on 1 or group. My suggestion is, if you do believe he is a good teacher (as stated), why not give him some suggestion, to give more stamina related drills to be mixed with current ones?

12. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    1-on-1 vs Group Coaching

At a session of 1-on-1 coaching, you can work on your weaknesses as found by you and/or your coach. It's like having a private tutor to help you with your school work.

At a group coaching, it's like attending a class at school. Same treatment to all students.

13. mamapoko

mamapoko Regular Member

Student
    My teammates quotes that i am stupid going all out for all shots...
    Do you think they are correct?:confused:
    i basically play at my peak speed for all shots..
    Thus, i am unable to mantain my peak speed for the 2nd game.
    However, whenever after i am recharged during rallies,
    i will spring out and attack..
    Do u think there is something wrong with my style of play?:confused:

14. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    Without a shadow of a doubt, stick with the 1 on 1 coaching. Its harder to learn technique than it is to learn fitness. Ul get more out of 1 on 1 than group. Always work on your weakness, my fitness is also a weakness so my coach is doing drills which will not only improve my technique but also improve my speed and fitness 2.

You should if you can do the both group and 1 - 1 and ul def have an advantage and get better faster

15. malsharpes

malsharpes Regular Member

Computers
    If you are getting on with your coach for technique then I'd stick with him. However you need to establish a fitness routine. Not only will getting fitter help in your general game but you will find that your technique will be better for longer and that you will make better stroke decisions towards the end of long games.

Given that it is now getting to be the off season in badminton I would start on what is called base fitness, this is primarily aerobic based fitness so jogging, swimming, or cycling. The aim of this is get the body used to exercise and to lay down the foundations for the new season. You should also be looking at doing streching and some weight work. As the new season approaches you should consider doing less aerobic work and start to concentrate more on anaerobic exercise. Spinning classes, shuttle runs, intervals and power weights are all good, together with shadow badminton. When the season starts and you are playing more you can cut down on the additional exercising but you should try to do at least one aerobic session a week, preferably doing a fartlek style training session (mixing aerobic and anaerobic exercise in the one session).

Hope this helps

Mal

16. ChocoStar888

ChocoStar888 New Member

ok thanks guys, i will most probably go to both :p

17. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Double your chances in improving your Badminton performance/games

If you do so, you could probably double your chances in improving your Badminton performance/games. :):):)

18. neogenesus

neogenesus Regular Member

student
    You need both fitness and technique training. Without a good fitness, you can't improve than you are right now. The best fitness exercise for badminton imo is interval training which is good for stamina and endurance. For weight training, I advise to avoid heavy weight. Do lighter weight, but do more reps and increase the speed of the reps. Best yet is, for example if you are doing bicep curls, do it for 30 secs (or more) and record how many reps you can do in that time instead of doing a specific reps count. Don't overdo it tho. Our body has it's limit also :p. For training your leg: wall squat, lunging, skipping and many more. I say, having a private coach is a blessing. It is stupid expensive to train 1 on 1 with a coach, all I can afford is a group training once a week :eek:. Even in group training, I can see the improvements from my techniques and tactic.

19. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    good advice. Its all about the quality 'time' and the attention you get for the drills or advice. ;)