Stringing an old steel racket.

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by vctrku, Apr 18, 2010.

1. vctrku

vctrku Regular Member

Alright, so I recently found an old steel Carlton racket of mine that I used to love but realised that the strings had broken and I never ended up getting the strings done. So, I kind of want to try using this racket again as it provides unbelievable power when playing doubles as this racket is about -6U AND head heavy. (I am not too sure what the exact weight is but it puts my brother's U Yonex Isometric 50 MF to shame. People thought that racket's weight was unheard of but my Carlton makes that racket feel like a feather. lol) So, I want to get this racket strung to about 28lbs (26/28). Would this be possible? Would old steel frames be able to hold such tension? It seems like steel is really strong and stable where as carbon graphite rackets now are very hard but brittle. Could someone please help me with this? Thanks in advance!

2. Kiloo

Kiloo Regular Member

Engineer
    A couple of mths ago I got to string 2 metal rackets, One Carlton and one Yonex (prob alu). The guy said to put 24lbs which I did. But during the process I have to say the racket head top part was 'moving' a lot. In the end one of the 2 came out very slightly lopsided:crying::crying::crying:. But the guy said it was ok.... Here is my experience:D

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    6U is about 70-75g range. Yonex use a different weight nomenclature for metal rackets

4. vctrku

vctrku Regular Member

lol No, you have mistaken me here, I said -6U as in NEGATIVE, meaning it is EXTREMELY heavy! lol I was just making a comparison to the more modern rackets as that seems to be all people know about these days. Thanks for your replies though! Too bad those rackets got so messed up. I am assuming 28lbs is quite a stretch for a steel racket then eh? Anyways, I did not use this racket for a long time so clearly I can live without it. I just wanted to try it. If it does not work then it does not matter that much to me. So back when all the rackets were steel, were pros using such high tensions? If not, what were they using? Or is this high tension thing quite recent with all the advancements in racket technology? Do you guys think my racket can hold 28lbs?

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    oh, got ya. Steel racket is really not good at holding high tension due to low modulus. I do not remember pros using steel frame. Progression was from wood to aluminum alloy frame. Steel shaft was commonly used with wood and aluminum frame tho coz steel is quite flexible compared to wood and Al.

6. vctrku

vctrku Regular Member

Well I guess I am not too familiar with this topic so I just called it all "steel". I guess you are right. My racket is full metal so I assume it is aluminum then as this racket is not THAT old. It was pretty much bought right when carbon graphite first came to the scene. This racket is maybe about ten years old?

7. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    vctrku, is your carlton steel racket finishing in chrome? that would be the carlton 3.7 or 3.7x. there are other models as well - 3.1 to 3.9, many models but i can't recall now.

the recommended stringing tension was around 15 to 18lbs and the highest you can go probably 20lb - that is if your machine is properly calibrated.

after steel racket which was made famous by carlton then came the aluminium composite by yoneyama or yonex as it is today.

in those days pro like punch gunalan, liem swie king and morten frost have used carlton steel racket before.

8. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    you should google more information before you try to help others by giving false information...:D:D

here's the shortcut:
    http://www.google.com.my/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=carlton+3.7+badminton+steel+racket

9. vctrku

vctrku Regular Member

Okay thanks for your replies! I think I have a Carlton 3.7X too but I was not referring to that racket. I am talking about something a lot more recent. This is not a high end racket or anything. If anything, it was a low end racket but if it helps, it was called "Smash" and the second racket to oppose it was called "Attack". This racket still has an exposed t-joint but the design looks quite new actually, as in it uses Carlton's new logo with the three triangles instead of the three shuttles. It is hard to explain as I do not have a camara with me right now to show you guys a picture of the racket. Just think of the last rackets right before carbon graphite came. Well, if I took this racket to a stringer, would you think they would be able to tell what the maximum tension of this racket would be?

10. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    i am sure you have a lot of good stringers in canada and its best you ask for their opinion what's the highest possible tension it can go. probably he will recommend a thicker string (0.70-0.73mm) and pulled at up to 23lb...

11. vctrku

vctrku Regular Member

Yup, that is what I thought. I guess it is always better to have a professional hold it and feel it to see what the racket can handle instead of a silly description (that I am clearly failing to do) on the internet. lol

12. Aspire

Aspire Regular Member

Manager
    vctrku you're the man. ROTFLOL you got him mate. You totally got him lol. I've not heard of any 6U racket in my life.:D:D In logic, racket of yesteryears supposed to be far more heavy thus your brother's yonex U. In this case the higher the numerical value the lighter it should be of the racket. He got it reversed:D:Dlol.

You asked a genuine question no doubt but he was confused totally and in the process he gave a confusing reply.:D

Anyway i like your style of posting:).

#12 Aspire, Apr 19, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  13. vctrku

vctrku Regular Member

lol Thanks for the post, you guys are really helpful here. Yeah, I know it could be confusing and I am sure I caught a lot of people off guard with an unheard of -6U racket. lol Anyways, thanks for your comments. I have a posting style? Meh, at least I know I am doing something right as you like it. Hehe. ^^

14. vctrku

vctrku Regular Member

Well, I am just curious but is the Carlton 3.7x worth anything these days seeing how it is such an antique?

15. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    polish it and keep it who knows it may worth something later!