User Tag List

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So the H.S. badminton open gym organizers looking at the higher prices of these clubs and breath a sign of relief. And we large-club goer would also breath a sign of relief, because otherwise, we'd have no place to play without waiting for a long long time.

Just look at the crowd during Summer or even Friday evenings, when H.S. players arrive in drives to some gym. While they seem to have lots of fun even when they're not playing (well, I guess they enjoy the socializing anyhow)... others would have to wait.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sjsharks429 View Post
    I don't know about you guys, but in a weird way I'm glad that the prices are high. There are a lot of high school gyms in the bay area that have open gym on weekends and these open gyms are vital as far as raising money for the high school badminton teams.

Because of the high prices at Bintang/GGBC/BBC/etc..., people tend to come to the high school open gyms more because we only charge $3-$4. I mean, sure we might not have the best lines and floors, but you still could have some pretty good games here and there.
    Quote Originally Posted by raymond View Post
    I don't think that's what was said. I think the OP said it's fortunate that the larger centers do match the prices with that of H.S. THink about it. Before any of these centers open, everyone has no where to go but H.S. Now that some clubs are opened, they'd only server to take "customers" away. So do expect a net loss of players to H.S. But it's not a total loss...
    I think sjsharks429 said what I inferred. It is good for the development of HS badminton & more people coe to HS as a result.

I don't know if it is true or not, I just commenting on what was said.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up School kids get to play against more experienced outsiders

Quote Originally Posted by jamesd20 View Post

I think sjsharks429 said what I inferred. It is good for the development of HS badminton & more people come to HS as a result.

I don't know if it is true or not, I just commenting on what was said.

This is good if sessions are organised by the schools. The school kids get to play against more experienced outsiders (adult players).

However, sometimes schools hire out their halls to outsiders to organise sessions. And these outsiders do not welcome their school kids to play with them.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chris-ccc View Post
    This is good if sessions are organised by the schools. The school kids get to play against more experienced outsiders (adult players).

However, sometimes schools hire out their halls to outsiders to organise sessions. And these outsiders do not welcome their school kids to play with them.
    In UK most clubs hire school halls for their clubs only. Pupils are not allowed on school grounds out of school hours anyway.

I was surprised that the money made appeared to go to the school badminton team. It is a good idea that funds derived from one sport go directly to that sport (even if the pupils are not involved IMO) in the UK these ancilliary funds just go to the school and get lost in the admin & other "priorities"............

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've run HS Gym for open badminton before.

As I remember it, the majority of the cost that required us to charge the visiting players were primarily due to insurance requirements of opening the said gym to public.

Depending on number of people, $3-4 was minimum per person that we needed to charge to safely come out even on insurance costs.

HS badminton teams can't fund-raise effectively via this method unless significantly raising the price.

I remember organizing an open tournament was enough to fund-raise for entire year even after all expenses.

Just my experience.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would be very nice if we can have 1 more photo of the inside when most of the work is done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post
    all 18 courts will be covered with tournament badminton court mats. the total padding will be a full 10mm thick which should be adequate to dampen shock from continuous badminton activities.
    It seems to me that 10mm padding is not a lot. Does this 10mm include the badminton mat itself? And is it cement or wood underneath the padding?

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by badminteniss View Post
    It seems to me that 10mm padding is not a lot. Does this 10mm include the badminton mat itself? And is it cement or wood underneath the padding?
    total.

as a reference, BBC3 is 11mm. and i think GGBC as well as other BBC are similar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

total.

as a reference, BBC3 is 11mm. and i think GGBC as well as other BBC are similar.
    I played at BBC3 once, and the floor feels not too hard, it is however harder than than United Badminton Club in Fremont. I'd probably be concerned of my knees of floors harder than BBC3.

The floor my knees like is Bintang, which is said to mat "suspended" on wood frames.

Do you know if the mat at CBA is laid on top of cement or wood floor?

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When is it opening? I can't wait to go try it out.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by badminteniss View Post
    I played at BBC3 once, and the floor feels not too hard, it is however harder than than United Badminton Club in Fremont. I'd probably be concerned of my knees of floors harder than BBC3.

The floor my knees like is Bintang, which is said to mat "suspended" on wood frames.

Do you know if the mat at CBA is laid on top of cement or wood floor?

Thanks.
    the floor on CBA will be laid on concrete. i initially feel that just 10mm of padding on top of hard concrete seems a bit thin. but that's the way it is done in most gyms like GGBC/BBC and now CBA. and we have had pretty good review of them and i play in GGBC regularly and it feels ok. so i guess 10mm is sufficient.

my knees like bintang style floor best. padding + wood + mat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my knees like bintang style floor best. padding + wood + mat.
    Agreed!

Is this flooring composition the case at all Bintang locations? May they can join the Milpitas/Fremont scrum with a center of their own here... Dublin and Sunnyvale are just a tad too far...

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by monto View Post
    Agreed!

Is this flooring composition the case at all Bintang locations? May they can join the Milpitas/Fremont scrum with a center of their own here... Dublin and Sunnyvale are just a tad too far...
    there is a "rumor" on that:

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...ad.php?t=82915

Bintang started working on wooden based flooring with Bintang Sunnyvale. Campbell is the first one that has a good result. according to Phu, they improve it on every new location, so Dublin should be better than Campbell (is it? i haven't been there) and SSF should be better than Dublin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Floor in Doublin felt the same as Sunnyvale. Both are excellent for your knees. The ceiling is higher in Doublin so it's better.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

CBA invited me again to check out their progress. it looks like things are coming along quite nicely. they have all the floors done and they look very nice. I brought my kits and hit around for 30+mins in one of the court. the grip is excellent and the flooring didn't bother my knees. so it appears the floor pases my knee test.

the lighting is very bright and seems OK to the eye.

here is a latest pic. more will come when i have them processed.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excellent! It's 4:30 a.m. Kwun. I hope you had some good sleep this morning

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CBA invited me again to check out their progress. it looks like things are coming along quite nicely. they have all the floors done and they look very nice. I brought my kits and hit around for 30+mins in one of the court. the grip is excellent and the flooring didn't bother my knees. so it appears the floor pases my knee test.

the lighting is very bright and seems OK to the eye.

here is a latest pic. more will come when i have them processed.
    Thanks for sharing the picture. Lighting and floors look great, the spacing between the courts appears quite tight!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast