Expensive rackets = break more?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Many Ch0icez, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Many Ch0icez

Many Ch0icez Regular Member

Student
    I have searched and seem to not be able to find any thing on this subject. If let's say I get a normal 100-150$ or maybe even 20-100$ racket. Will it like , Not break as much as a 300$ racket say NS9900:confused:

2. krisyay

krisyay Regular Member

LoL well I'd say there's two views on this...more expensive rackets = lighter or thinner frame profiles that make them more likely to die after a bad mis-hit or clash. Alternatively more expensive rackets are more popular so more people discuss them on this forum/buy them which results in a greater number of people that mention their rackets break.

3. Many Ch0icez

Many Ch0icez Regular Member

Student
    AHh ok thank you for your input if anyone else has something please post ypur thoughts opn this.

4. visor

visor Regular Member

My thoughts?

For some strange reason, doubles players break their rackets much much more often than singles players.:p:D

5. Blurry D

Blurry D Regular Member

Corporate Strategy
    Hahahahhahaha :D It is just a magical thing that even i dont understand.... so weird.

6. t1nosupr1mo

t1nosupr1mo Regular Member

student
    buy 2
    single racket expensive
    double racket cheap

7. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    The other people who have posted seem to have got all of the reasons covered. On a badminton forum where a lot of people are serious players it's likely that more people will use high-end frames than budget rackets from large sports stores or supermarkets. Also, I think more people are likely to let people know that their expensive racket has broken than that their cheap racket has broken because naturally, they are going to be more upset about the more expensive racket breaking (assuming the cheaper frame doesn't have some kind of sentimental value).

As for high end rackets being lighter and thinner, that is true but I would have thought that the better graphite in these frames would serve to add some durability back. I must admit though, when I saw the Arcsaber Z-Slash's thin profile on some pictures people have posted I was a little concerned about its durability. After seeing one in the flesh though I wasn't sure that it looked amazingly thin compared to other rackets. It was clearly thinner but didn't look as extreme as in the pictures.

8. krisyay

krisyay Regular Member

Oh and a lot of players here string at high tensions I think. I'm sure that contributes as well!

9. BennyC

BennyC Regular Member

N/A
    Firstly, i think it's more psychological in a sense where more people tend to aim for the highend racket. And it is safe to say most of us use high end rackets so you tend to hear more about them compared to low end. You could use a rate of exposure( example) where 5 High end = 1 low/mid end racket. This could imply that for every 5 high end rackets you hear breaking, only 1 mid/low end would break. In addition, some players may possibly believe that the racket makes the player, thus forcing smashes and other shots that could cause damage to the racket. However i think that is a minor cases.

Secondly, materials somewhat play a role in this, but I think it is more tension wise. The materials have evolved to accomodate player's tension customization. If you look back, players back then used very low tension compared to what most of us use nowadays. And how are we able to do so? The improvement of materials ( UHMG, nano-carbon, etc) These materials are very stable and strong however if one were to compare an ARC7 @24lbs and ARC7 @ 28lbs, given a horendous circumstance, the ARC7 @ 28lbs is more likely to break from a mishit ( just an example). So in conclusion, materials are doing their job, TENSIONS just mess around with it.

10. shakeandbake

shakeandbake Regular Member

Student
    expensive rackets tend to be more fragile due to the high tec light weight materials they are composed of. even so, they do not break that easy as many manufacturers provide warranties on their rackets. yonex provides 1 year. search forums to understand what a warranty covers