tough time on singles

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by angelus_2012, Jan 4, 2003.

1. angelus_2012

angelus_2012 Regular Member

i have i tough time playing singles!!!

when i serve, i either got smash on return to the sidelines and i could not reach the shuttle in time.

how should i serve? long or short? high or low?

or either, i got the finesse play "mode" where the opponent serve a long rally to the back and then return it to the net. or he drive the shuttle to the left or right of the net and i usually mishit to the net. and i can't run that fast.

what do you do if you are in this situation? you return him a long rally when you get the shuttle on the net? or you just play along in the net?

lastly, how do you position yourself (crouch or lower yourself) when you know the opponent is going to smash?

2. ljq

ljq Regular Member

Well, you could crouch like someone trying to ride a horse, except you squat down lower.

Or, if your opponent favors smashing to your backhand, then put your leg of you forehand in front.

3. Californian

Californian Regular Member

1. The traditional singles serve is as high and deep and as close to the center line as possible. The ideal serve would force the opponent to actually stand behind the back line in order to hit it out in front. Also, the higher serve drops virtually straight down, making it harder to hit. By serving to the center line, you force the opponent to hit back more through the center of the court, taking away the quicker shot straight down the side line. A good serve can make a big difference right from the beginning.

In recent years, more players are using the low serve for singles because lighter rackets are making the smash harder and the opponent's return will most likely come from below net level. I think you need to be quick to use this serve or it can quickly be turned against you. I don't use it myself unless the opponent is especially weak with handling it.

2. If your opponent drops from the back, what you do with it depends on how high you can get it and what position your opponent is in.

-If you can get it high, you would probably redrop unless you see him moving up. Then you may "hold" the shot for just a moment and then quickly flick it to the back away from him.

-If you get it low, you pretty much have to clear unless he is still in the back of the court.

3. When preparing to receive a smash, in singles I prefer to face straight ahead and shift slightly left or right of center to match my opponent's position. This is different than in doubles, where I will turn my body slightly to face the smashing opponent.

Keep your racket out in front of you and up (somewhere between knee and chest level). Even though the smash is likely, don't get caught "flat footed"--back on your heels so you can't move forward in case they drop instead.