Salt Lake City: Where to play?

Discussion in 'USA West' started by Joseph, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

I'll be headed here this Fall to attend the University of Utah. I was wondering if there was any place for me to play here.

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    hey congrats on the MS program!

oh boy. and Joseph you should start stocking up speed 47 shuttles.

3. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

Thanks, I'm pretty nervous about going to grad school and leaving California. I'm particularly worried about snow and my car not starting on exam day because of the cold.

I really do need to stock up on slower shuttles for Utah, but I'm not even sure if I'll even get a chance to play. Speed 47 is slower, right?

I also found out the schedule for badminton at the HPER gym.

Gyms - Badminton/Volleyball
    Tuesday & Thursday 6:30 pm -10:00 pm
    Saturday & Sunday 11:00 am - 6:00 pm

#3 Joseph, Apr 24, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  4. desiben

desiben New Member

Do we have to be a University student to play in the gym?

I am looking for friends to play Badminton near Draper,Utah!

5. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

You have to have a University student sponsor you for a visitor pass for that day which costs about $5.

6. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

Just thought I'd post here again and say that I've found 2 other places to play. I have not played there and I've only played perhaps three times total since I've been here.

But in case anyone needs more info on other places to play. Here are the 2 others:

-Richards Building at BYU (in Provo) only on Monday evenings from 6pm - 9pm. $5 entry fee for non-students.
    -Payson High School in Payson, only on Monday evenings from 7pm - 9pm. Check link for more info.

Then I saw that Salt Lake City Community college has a badminton club, but don't know when they have open gym because there's barely any information online about the club in general too. Also was told before that Utah State University also holds open gym. In all, there are 3 places to play with 2 more potential places that need to be confirmed. Hope this helps other people out there.

7. pandee720

pandee720 Regular Member

hey joseph, do you happen to know anyone who plays near salt lake city?

8. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

Oh man, sorry I didn't see this sooner. I actually haven't been on here in a while. But I play when I have time which I have only done a few times. What's up?

9. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

I'm back to playing badminton in Salt Lake City at the University of Utah on Saturdays. It looks like you don't need a sponsor in order to get a guest pass seeing as I'm no longer a student there. You just go to the office window and purchase a guest pass.

It's $5 for a guest pass (must be used same day).
    They also have $35 for 8 passes (can be used anytime).

Feel free to message me, post here, or send a carrier pigeon if want to play.

10. jlimzq

jlimzq Regular Member

I know this is an old thread, but BYU Richards Building as of now does Open Play for badminton on Fridays from 3pm - 6pm. Guest passes still cost $5 per day and do not require a sponsor. During the Spring/Summer school terms there are significantly less use of the gyms. As long as you see a spot open in Gyms 146 and 156 you should be able to ask the staff to set up badminton nets on days other than Fridays.

Just keeping the information updated.

11. hanshinji

hanshinji Regular Member

i doubt anyone's going to read this in time but i'm visiting SLC and looking for people to play badminton tonight (9/30) and tomorrow night (10/1). i only found dimple recreation center that's open tomorrow night but it sounds like you have to set up net for yourself if you want to play. since i'm by myself i'm not sure if i can get a pick up game there... i'm also not sure if i can get a pick up game at BYU.