Stringing Last Cross with Load Spreader Obstructing

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Resistor, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Resistor

Resistor Regular Member

Hi Guys,

I always have problem stringing the last cross with the load spreader in the way. How do you guys approach the problem. Sometime the last cross ended up a bit loose which doesn't look like a good job. :confused:

If I miss the last cross, most likely the player will snap the string by mishit...

2. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Ironically, I had this same problem at 12, rather than 6, so I know exactly where you're coming from.

If your machine and its parts are relatively cheap, you can do what I did and grind some of the 6 o'clock support away to make it thinner - do the face that meets the load spreader (that is, the inside face) so there are no rough edges exposed to the string bed.

I would get an extra throat support if you ever do tennis rackets, though, as it may not stand up once you go into tennis tension.

3. Tim1456

Tim1456 Regular Member

Clerk
    That is why, I still like a two point machine. The support is below string bed, I even do extra cross at top very close to the frame.

Anyway, what you can do is clamp 2 and 3 from top using a fly clamp. remove the racket from the machine. using a stick or a clamp pull the first string by hand, then clamp the first and second cross, tie off.

What you need is two fly clamps, one stick.

4. adidascanada

adidascanada Regular Member

Not all 6 point mount machines run into this issue...;)

5. Resistor

Resistor Regular Member

That's sounds like a great idea... but I don't feel like grinding the support off....

I just wonder is it alright to do the last cross first and then come back to the 2nd to last cross and then the tie off.

6. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Yes, you could do this, but you'd have longer-than-usual loops from the third-to-last cross to the last cross and then from the second-to-last cross to the tie-off. This latter loop is the more detrimental to tension holding, so you should add at least 15% to the second-to-last cross to compensate.

7. adidascanada

adidascanada Regular Member

Agreed....given the choice I would grind a little off the spreader where it meets the support (much easier to replace)

8. Laowai

Laowai Regular Member

This might be a silly question, but have you removed the plastic padding off the support? When I first got a load spreader I was using it with the plastic padding still on the support. I had the same problem with the top cross being a bit lose. With the plastic padding removed the load spreader fits nicely on the support and there is enough room between the top cross the the support.

9. Resistor

Resistor Regular Member

You mean the blue plastic padding on the support. I thought it is part of it.
    Just checking it, looks like I can remove it... I think that has solve my problem.
    Thanks Laowai.

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i had the same problem and came to the same solution.

the other suggestion of taking out the load spreader by loosening the top support is also sound advice. at this point of the stringing process, the stringjob is almost finished and the load spreader isn't needed anymore. sounds scary, but i think will be perfectly fine thing to do.

11. silvestre351

silvestre351 Regular Member

Civil Eng. / Amateur stringer
    Hi
    I had never that kind of problem since the loadspreader I use (bought in Mybadmintonstore) is suitable to fit in that area BUT previously I had to remove the support plastic pad. I confirm tottaly what laowai has said.