User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 21
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Need advice on buying a stringing machine

    Hi,

    I currently string squash and tennis rackets on a Babolat Star 5, but the given the cost of the badminton conversion kit, I would like to buy a dedicated badminton stringing machine. That way I can leave my clamps and settings alone on the Star 5. It would also be nice to have something portable.

    It doesn't seem like there are too many choices out there. I take it the Eagnas ST250 and Easy 3 are the main choices. I assume the Yonex is the same machine for lots more money.

    Between the Easy 3 and ST250, which would you choose and why?

    Are the Yonex flying clamps the best available and the ones to get?

    Thanks in advance for any assistance.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    vancouver
    Posts
    625
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    whats your budget?

    But i think conversion would be a safe bet since a decent machine will run you $500 minimum

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I take it then that the Eagnas ST250 or Easy 3 are not decent machines?

    The Babolat conversion kit is $400 for my Star 5.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    44
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    my little advice, dont buy Eagnas product

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'm aware of the Eagnas reputation, but this is not a complicated electronic machine, and it's the same machine sold to Yonex. I can't imagine having too many problems with such a little machine.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Richmond BC
    Posts
    43
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I rather get Pros pro shuttle express from W & D string in UK. $160
    UK
    Eagnas would be a piece of crap compare to your Babolat

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    New York, US
    Posts
    10,283
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Distanc3 View Post
    whats your budget?

    But i think conversion would be a safe bet since a decent machine will run you $500 minimum
    What's your definition for "decent"? Many very well made drop weight machines are around $200 range (2 point support), and can still be below $400 or $500, if you go with 4-6 point support.

    It's the stringer's skill which count the most, not the machine. For personal usage, I think you can stay very well below the $500 mark.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    vancouver
    Posts
    625
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    ^ yes the definition of "decent" depends on the reader. Comparing to OP's machine (babolat star 5), under my opinion a "decent" machine for him would run around $500, consisting of similar supports, accuracy and clamps.
    Sorry for the use of the ambiguous word "decent"

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    No offense to drop weights, but it's got to be a crank. DW are just too slow and clunky.

    I am looking for something of high quality. I think I've got it down to the Alpha Revo 4000 with the badminton clamps. $630 total. I've not seen anything better for up to the price range, though still soliciting opinions.

    I agree with you Distanc3, that's what I was thinking.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    New York, US
    Posts
    10,283
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluehinder View Post
    No offense to drop weights, but it's got to be a crank. DW are just too slow and clunky.

    I am looking for something of high quality. I think I've got it down to the Alpha Revo 4000 with the badminton clamps. $630 total. I've not seen anything better for up to the price range, though still soliciting opinions.

    I agree with you Distanc3, that's what I was thinking.
    How many badminton rackets you plan to string per week? If a few, then I doubt the "too slow" really matters any how. However, if you open a shop, that's a totally different story.

    Anyway, you are the one to make the final call. Good luck for the shopping.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    "Too slow" is a measure of how valuable is a person's time, not how many rackets are strung in a week. But your point is well taken. As I said, I've got nothing against drop weights, they are just not for me, too futzy.

    There is a reason the Prince Neos is the best selling machine of all time.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    931
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluehinder View Post
    "Too slow" is a measure of how valuable is a person's time
    Or a measure of a person's skill.

    I know a stringer who can do a racquet in 8 minutes with a dropweight, and probably 20 minutes on average.

    Anyway to be more helpful, how much do you value the quality of the stringjob because there's also a reason why Prince Neos are phasing out. Constant pull.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Neos is not being phased out. In fact, Prince just came out with a newer version, the 1500.

    Ignorant statement about the Neos, shows you don't know anything about stringing. Countless millions of rackets have been strung on the industry standard for twenty years.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,645
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Hi,
    From a person worked on Star5 before and string both tennis and badminton racquets. I would suggest you to stay with Star5 with badminton fly clamps. The only thing is some of the thinner Yonex badminton frame will need the side support which I think you can make one with some effort. You can just go out and buy a piece of wood and cut it into the side support holder shape and make the gap smaller. I did that before on the Star5. Another problem I encounter is the n/s post. You need to pretty much stretch to max to mount a badminton racquet. Otherwise, I strung up badminton racquets on Star5 without problem.
    Good luck

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    24
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Wow. 8 minutes! And that too on a drop weight!!

    You should post a youtube video. I'm sure it'll be a hit.



    Quote Originally Posted by fishmilk View Post
    Or a measure of a person's skill.

    I know a stringer who can do a racquet in 8 minutes with a dropweight, and probably 20 minutes on average.

    Anyway to be more helpful, how much do you value the quality of the stringjob because there's also a reason why Prince Neos are phasing out. Constant pull.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    931
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluehinder View Post
    Neos is not being phased out. In fact, Prince just came out with a newer version, the 1500.

    Ignorant statement about the Neos, shows you don't know anything about stringing. Countless millions of rackets have been strung on the industry standard for twenty years.
    I meant the 1000 is being phased out. You didn't specify the model so I didn't either, it was just assumed when you said best selling machine of all time. The fact that they made the 1500 model means that most likely the 1000 will eventually be phased out.

    Just because millions of racquets have been strung on it doesn't make it the industry standard today. All professional tennis players want their racquets done on ECP and all pro-shops I know of that are profitable have gone to electronic machines as well. Nostalgia isn't going to make it the industry standard again.

    Even if I didn't know anything about different stringing machines, hardly gives you the right to question my ability as a stringer. I just have to know mine and I do quite well. Ignorant one seems to be yourself though, because you clearly haven't addressed the issue I brought up of constant pull. Just didn't want a fellow stringer to buy a machine that they wouldn't be fully satisfied with as I've gone down that route already.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    New York, US
    Posts
    10,283
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fishmilk View Post

    I know a stringer who can do a racquet in 8 minutes with a dropweight, and probably 20 minutes on average.

    For the nature of drop weight, if you turbo through, either you damage the string (due to friction -> heat), or you have low quality job (weight+leveler needs time to settle to be horizontal). If 8 minutes it is, then 99% the job will suffer both from above.

    Plus, I assume the above time did not count the pre-wave.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Buying a stringing machine in the UK.
    By diverdan in forum Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools
    Replies: 0
    : 02-26-2012, 03:32 AM
  2. Buying A Stringing Machine
    By johnnyytruong in forum Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools
    Replies: 1
    : 05-13-2011, 09:30 PM
  3. Buying 1st Stringing Machine
    By NaNo-TiMe in forum Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools
    Replies: 7
    : 12-31-2008, 08:08 PM
  4. bUYING A STRINGING MACHINE
    By CKsweden in forum Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools
    Replies: 51
    : 11-30-2005, 11:23 PM
  5. Buying a stringing machine, advice pls.
    By Iwan in forum Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools
    Replies: 2
    : 09-27-2002, 05:37 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •