Triceps pain...

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by petertan_sg, Apr 24, 2010.

1. petertan_sg

petertan_sg Regular Member

CEO
    I guess maybe not enough warm up? My racket arm's triceps is a little sore and it affects my overall play. How long does triceps heal?

2. huangxl

huangxl Regular Member

Student
    After reading your posts, I suspect your tricep pain may have to do with playing at too high tension. String it lower and see if it continues

3. petertan_sg

CEO
    thanks dude... appreciates wholeheartedly for ur concern and suggestion!

4. huangxl

huangxl Regular Member

Student
    I use to experience it also. Anyway you can wear a elbow guard to see if it reduces the pain. It works for me

5. petertan_sg

CEO
    elbow guard? ok... i going to queensway next week, so likely will go buy that too! btw, where do u usually play?

6. huangxl

huangxl Regular Member

Student
    I play at gombak and arena most of the time. Having exam so not playing this week

7. petertan_sg

CEO
    oh.. gombak. i always find gombak a little stuffy. i prefer cck sports hall. where's the arena?

8. shubhanan

shubhanan Regular Member

Graduate Student
    Try to lower your string tension, or if possible use a rather flexible (relatively less stiff that what you use) racket for the time being.

Rest and heat should work relieve it. But I think you could also work on your back muscles of the upper torso (youtube's your friend here). Because most of the pain at and down the arm are because of something wrong in the back (at least related to sports) - unless you are completely sure its your tricep that's hurt. :)

Hope that helps.

9. petertan_sg

CEO
    shu: yes, i have switched to a flex shaft (bs9). yes, now whenever before i play, i apply those deep heat medication on the sore areas. so should i work out my wings? damn.. i didn't know that badminton works the back muscles of the upper torso. appreciates!!

10. shubhanan

shubhanan Regular Member

Graduate Student
    It does!.. every time you pull your racket back when you hit forhand shot, and stop the racket swing when you are done with it. Backhand - the name implies it. :)

Essentially, one would first work on the rotator cuffs (youtube again! - search for e.gshoulder strengthening or rotator cuff strengthening). You might not want to work out traps and wings/deltoids too much or you might get stiff there. But if you feel too loose/weak you could work those out. Remember to balance all the strength evenly across.
    I believe a resistance tube/band is a good thing to start with. Not too light and not too heavy.
    Also you could try the back stretches. Coach/Youtube should be a good source.

11. petertan_sg

CEO
    thanks shu... i will go check out youtube. meanwhile, i will also check out bruce lee training videos... :p

12. dyrtla

dyrtla Regular Member

just a muscle pain. Im pretty sure everyone has experienced it once in their life. Its called DOMS. I forgot what it stands for but its something ilke delayed onset muscle soreness or something. It should go away within 2 days~a week.
    if you were playing at high tension, that might be the reason why. and another reason that might've happened is that you weren't using your triceps for a long time, then suddenly you started using it. So for example, if you take like 3 months off of badminton, dont play any sports for 3 months, then start playing after 3 months, it will eventually happen again.

13. petertan_sg

CEO
    perhaps. based on what you guys mention, i think my soreness was likely due to poor warm-up, smashing using a 6U racket and stringing at 30 lbs. now, it seems to be better as i use deep heat medication, 3U BS9 and a more manage-able 28 lbs. thanks guys... wow... so many of you replied... i feel so touched.

14. dyrtla

dyrtla Regular Member

wow i never knew there's a 6U racket.... how heavy is a 6u racket..? 75g??!?! you mean junior rackets?

15. eeyore12345

eeyore12345 Regular Member

I think you should work out your bicepts... it affects each other. Triceps may be injured because your biceps are weaker, vice versa for biceps pain.

16. petertan_sg

CEO
    For weight between 79g to 75g, APACS classify it as 6U, but Yonex classify it as 5U. There's racket like Karakal SL-70 which is 70g, which is APACS 7U/Yonex 6U.

Anyway, we're talking about full adult-size rackets here. Kids rackets are probably heavier (my daughter's junior MusclePower 2). It is 1U and about 99g to 95g. Check out at http://www.badmintonalley.com/Yonex..._2009_Badminton_p/racket-yonex-mp2jr-2010.htm

17. petertan_sg

CEO
    Thanks dude. I guess that I need to go gym more often to work those muscles out.

18. eeyore12345

eeyore12345 Regular Member

that's what I learned in workout class. However, try to verify with an instructor to be more accurate. But that's the general idea of what I've been learning. Hope it help.

19. blindaim

blindaim Regular Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#19 blindaim, May 17, 2010
    Last edited: May 17, 2010
  20. blindaim

blindaim Regular Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#20 blindaim, May 17, 2010
    Last edited: May 17, 2010