Long shaft or Short shaft?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by todjo, Apr 26, 2010.

1. todjo

todjo Regular Member

self employed
    Which one do you choose, racket with long shaft+short handle or short shaft+long handle? Yonex at700, at500, at600, at300 & ti10 are long shaft+short handle. Yonex at800OF, mp99, arcsabre7, ns8000 are short shaft+long handle.
    If you have to choose between 2 almost the same racket (i.e.: ns8000 vs ti10), same extra stiff, headlight balance, & overall length, but differ in handle & shaft length, which one do you prefer?? Thanks.

2. dyrtla

dyrtla Regular Member

generally speaking, longer shaft = more power. I'd take longer shaft.

3. chongkiatz

chongkiatz Regular Member

so what is the advantage for the short shaft + long handle?? good in defend?

4. Carbonlist

Carbonlist Regular Member

Student
    I'd assume that the shorter shaft will give you less flex in comparison to one that is longer. The handle is not quite as flexible. It may help to have a shorter shaft if you're a serious power hitter with a really really fast swing speed. The time for the shaft to return to original position after flexing is much shorter than a long shaft. Theoretically speaking, this will result in a faster and harder hit...assuming that your swing speed is THAT fast.

5. TaRaKaN

TaRaKaN Regular Member

This was quite a funny topic initially lol.

6. visor

visor Regular Member

I almost spat out my coffee when I saw the title!But seriously, long for singles, short for doubles... simply because singles need the power that can be generated with long shaft, and doubles need the fast recovery time of short shaft.

7. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    You can use short shaft for singles too (AT900P, Player: LCW) and long shaft for doubles....

There isn't a rule to which length of shaft you should choose when playing either singles or doubles.

Use whichever racquet is most comfortable in your hands to play your games.

8. todjo

todjo Regular Member

self employed
    Are you sure about this?? I think, I can smash better using at700 (long shaft) than at800OF (short shaft). I can aim better & steeper smash.
    Maybe longer shaft can give more room to bend so a smash can be steeper.

9. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    I don't think you can accurately compare shaft lengths using those two rackets as examples because they are radically different. They have difference balances and different shaft stiffness. There are probably some other differences in the rackets as well, these two were just the most obvious to me.

In order to make an accurate comparison between long shaft and short shaft rackets, you'd have to get two frames which were otherwise identical and this could end up being hard - I think you'd probably have to get them made by a manufacturer because I can't think of any two rackets that fit the requirements off the shelf.

10. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    Using a racket of greater overall length will generally result in increased power, because for any given angular velocity, the head speed will be greater. The difference will be most apparent on "wristy" strokes, as the racket is effectively rotating around the handle; as opposed to a full smash, where there is also a lot of forward movement from the arm, meaning the racket head doesn't follow the same circular path.

If the extra length is in the shaft, there is an additional gain in power due to the extra flexing. There is also a potential loss of some control, again due to the extra flexing.

On the other hand, if the extra length is in the handle, then you are able to hold the racket higher up, meaning you won't lose any quickness in defense, or any control.

Anyway, you have to consider the racket as a whole, and not just focus on the length of the shaft/handle - as Dan pointed out, the choice you are talking about just doesn't exist (certainly if you're limiting yourself to Yonex anyway).

11. todjo

todjo Regular Member

self employed
    Actually, I'm not limiting myself to yonex brand. The rackets I mentioned (ns8000 vs Ti10 or at800OF vs at700) are compared based on my own experience. I'm trying to compare the closest specs rackets, same materials (HMG), almost the same stiffness, & the same overall length (675mm).
    Then, maybe we can understand why yonex create arc z-slash (claimed as the longest shaft racket??)

12. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

My shaft stiffness, how about yours??

I prefer to have a long shaft, but unfortunately my shaft is not too long, but luckily my partner rarely complaint since its the performance and stiffness that matters :D:D:D:D:D

13. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I didnt think you prefered the Z slash, i thought you prefered the normal lenghted NS9900 :D:D:D:D

14. visor

visor Regular Member

It's not the size of the ship that matters, but the motion of the ocean! :p:D

15. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

thats why NS9900 is my vafourite racket, fast movement and EXTRA STIFF :D

16. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

:D:D hahaha thats so funny man.....
    but you suppose to talk about badminton here :p

17. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    he answer is as always.. It depends.. How tthe lengt of the shaft affects power/cntrol is very much depending och a) shaft design (diameter, tapered, thickness) b) shaft material (stiff, flex etc.)

My view is that Yonex went nuts and went for long AND to flexy shaft on ARC-Z, so contro suffered drastically.

Generally speaking the demands of material would be higher for a longer shaft. So trying to cut corner and make a long shaft of cheap graphite is a generally poor idea..

And of course for duubles it is not so much that thee is an advantage with shorter shaft.. It is probably more that it is an advantage with longer handle for gripping higher on certain shots :)

/Twobeer

18. bolts

bolts Regular Member

I'm thinking to cut the shaft of a racket is that doable?
    havent found any mention of this... anyone tried?

19. Scott Kam

Scott Kam Regular Member

20. Budi

Budi Regular Member

you are looking for badminton racket or pingpong bat? Why would you want to shorten the shaft? Do you want to add the lenght of the handle to?