Recommendation on Karakal rackets and prices

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by spiderjebus, Apr 26, 2010.

1. spiderjebus

spiderjebus Regular Member

student
    Hi,
    I read few things about karakal, especially its light weight rackets.
    Still they got different models.. anybody want to share any preferences?
    and is there any good price where i can buy from? btw i am in US...
    (they got no distributor in US, when i checked their website...)
    thank you!!

2. blue_agave

blue_agave Regular Member

na
  3. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    The entire Karakal line-up is made up of solid rackets but sometimes I can't help but feeling that they are all a bit too similar. Of course, their rackets come in a lot of different weight ranges but in terms of shaft stiffness and feel, they are quite similar so if you don't like one, it's far from certain that you'll like any of the others.

As for the superlight ones, the M-Tec 70 and M-Tec 75 if we're just talking about iso frames, they are great for customisation but not so great in stock form. The M-Tec 70 generates adequate power if you have good technique and can generate good racket head speed but it really isn't weighty enough in stock form. To my M-Tec 70s, I added 10 grams of lead at the "12 o clock" position of the head, giving them a golf club-like balance. This might not suit everyone but I've had great results with it. The racket is still relatively light but packs an absolutely monstrous punch and still seems to defend quite well.

I'll post more later because I think I miscalculated how long this post would take. I really need to be doing other things now, as much as I would like, I can't sit around reading and posting on BCF all day.

4. jerby

jerby Regular Member

if you're looking for a good quality light racket, I think Karakal is definately the way to go.
    (but adding 10g of weight to the head is something I wouldn't recommend).

The mt70 and 75 don't differ that much in terms of stiffness and balance, but the obvious 4-5grams of weight difference do matter. I liked the 75 best, but then, I play with an mt80 :eek:
    If you want something even lighter the oval shaped SL70 felt even lighter than the mt70 to me. The headshape might take some getting used to, but it's a very light racket.

5. valmetf4

valmetf4 Regular Member

forrest worker
    karakal rackets

I am using a Karakal m-tec 75 tattoo ,I find it a great doubles racket, same as the m-tec 75 but is hand painted , with a great design . the paint on these rackets are automotive paint and resist chipping more than most. Has great control and feel but lacks some power due to the lightweight (75g) , I also run with an extra grip to make it headlight.
    Also i have a Karakal Gel lite arround 80g head heavy which is a good singles racket for me. I prefer these over the yonex as i consider the price of them to high

6. spiderjebus

student
    did anyone, who used it b4 or using it, max the string tension when u guys play??
    btw thx for the site blue!!

7. spiderjebus

student
    dang forgot to ask this question too.. wat would be the good string for karakal rackets..??

8. jerby

jerby Regular Member

I play with 28lbs, but a friend of mine who is sponsored strings his mt75's at 34-35lbs

he's kind of a nutter though :p

9. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    In all honesty, I wouldn't recommend adding that amount of lead to the head of an MT70 to someone else but it works for me. I just used my customisations as an example of how customisable it is - there aren't that many other rackets that I'd feel comfortable adding that amount of lead to.

If you weren't going to customise and just decided to go for a stock racket, I would look more towards the heavier end of the scale. The MT80 (if you can find it now) or SL80 would be good choices, as would the Tour Gel and Tour Lite Gel. Whilst they aren't feeble rackets, I think most people would like more power than the MT70 and MT75 offer in their stock forms.

Any good string or string you like in general will be fine on the Karakal rackets. I'd probably just use the setup you use now if you're happy with it.

As for tension, I wouldn't worry too much about going too high, I'm sure I read about someone stringing the MT80 up to 40lbs - a huge tension for such a light racket.