Gosen Ryoga Tenbu

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by groovyshot, Apr 26, 2010.

1. groovyshot

groovyshot Regular Member

computers
    Just got back from playing my new Gosen Ryoga Tenbu and I have to say that I got a pleasant surprise with it. I've been trying to like my ARC Slug 10 for over a year and a half now and it isn't doing it for me. Made a number of adjustments with respect to strings, grips and tension and still no real magic.

However was at the store last day and the Tenbu just came in. Nobody knew too much about it. Since I've had pretty good success with the Gauvin Roots series in the past, I figure I'd give it a try.

Strung it up with Ashaway-Zymax at 24/25 and headed for our club. Before buying the racquet, noticed that the shaft was extremely stiff. You could almost use it as a pry bar (just kidding), but it was really firm (more than the AS10). Can't comment with respect to the AS-Z/ . So naturally I was worried that I'd be playing with a board.

In the store it felt head heavy, but when I put a HEADPRO overgrip on the racquet, it felt more balanced. The first couple of hits were awkward as I was getting used to the racquet. It didn't take too long to get accustomed to the racquet and birds were coming off the racquet in real quick order. Way faster than the the ARC Slug 10. The stiff shaft? Didn't even notice it. Perhaps this racquet is more reminicent of a NS9900 than a AS10 or a AT700.

The funny thing is, this racquet defied the static feel that I got in the store but played quite predictably on the court. Mind you this was the first day and I'm sure the strings hadn't settled in, that said should get better with time. I'm expecting more good things to come of this racquet as I get comfy with it, but my first outing is most impressive.

Some research showed that the Tenbu shaft was manufactured in Japan by a joint venture of Toray, Seiko and Gosen. The rest of the racquet is manufactured and assembled in China. Cosmetically the racquet is quite nice with a oriental theme, take it or leave it. The T-joint is metal, though the racquet feel quite light. It uses a Carbon handle which may be the same as the MiraPro's and MiraLite's, but I didn't strip the grip to find out.

That's it for now as I'll update this thread along the way and hopefully other Tenbu owners will add their contributions!

2. bluecraze07

bluecraze07 Regular Member

Never heard of this racket. In fact, I didn't even know Gosen products were sold in Canada. Any more info about this racket? pics maybe?

3. groovyshot

computers
    This racquet is relatively new from what I understand, though it has been talked about since late last year. There's a nice PDF file you can download from the Gosen site which describes what the racquet is all about, http://www.gosen.jp/eng/racket/pdf/index2010_eng.html

I'll take some pics of the racquet tonight and post.

Gosen's been distributed in Vancouver for quite a number of years now. Most of the racquets being distributed are from the Grapower and Roots Gauvin line. A couple of MiraPros and MiraLites were brought in but I missed out on them. When they got the Tenbu in, I decided to just snap it up instead of thinking about it. Gary from Tad's said that they will be getting more Tenbu's and possibly Issen's from the distributor.

Distribution of Gosen's higher end line is probably tentative at best, as experienced with the Mira line. The one I got had a manufacturing note in the handle with statistical information.

They did have a Gauvin Roots 9500 speed, which looked pretty sweet. It also had the Power Cavity grommet system which looked enticing. However the shaft was a little more whippier than what I'm accustomed to. But it was superlight and nicely balanced.

4. Scott Kam

Scott Kam Regular Member

I was "caressing" around the racket at a pro shop one day. Feel like an even-balanced racket which might suit me. But it will be a big decision to buy it cos the price is almost the same as the top Yonex models.

5. groovyshot

computers
    Here's a couple of photos, sorry about the quality.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. Badmintan

Badmintan Regular Member

The samurai racquet.

It is one of the racquet on my 'wish-list'.
    The cost just put me off temporarily. :eek:

Seems like Gosen did away with the Gavun shaft and the roots T-joint. The racquet now seems very 'Yonex'-like.

Keep the reviews coming....:D

7. ycsia

ycsia Regular Member

the racket look so cool
    i tried to ask how much it sell in malaysia
    but the distributor in malaysia still not comfirm the price
    btw how much is sell in singapore?

8. groovyshot

computers
    Yeah, I hear you guys! It's so tough to throw so much cash on a racket and not know if it'll do the job. I just knew that I'm not a typical Yonex type of player after trying to work the AS10 into my game. However I've had success with Gosen rackets in the past.

What might work for one person, might not for another, so I'm not knocking Yonex. The other factor was price. The Tenbu was cheaper than the AS10 by $75. I couldn't justify buying another high end Yonex product in the $250 price range.

The Tenbu's a quick racket with a bundle of interesting technology. I've played with it twice now, so still getting used to it. Others have tried my racket at the club and have commented how fast the bird dances off the strings. We'll see if this trait continues, stay tuned.

9. kkmh2

kkmh2 Regular Member

Undergrad
    woah looks awesome! any idea if it'll be available in the UK anytime soon?

10. groovyshot

computers
    The racket was officially released March 30, 2010 and it took about a month to make its way to Vancouver. I think its one of first ones to make it here as it has a handwritten spec sheet in the handle.
    It sounds like there's good distribution in asia though. As for the UK, can't vouch for them. But its distributed by Soyo of Belgium, so it might show up soon.

11. Distanc3

Distanc3 Regular Member

stringer for community centers
    awesome racket :)

12. Wan Njang

Wan Njang Regular Member

Gomen Staff
    Gosen Ryoga Tenbu

[​IMG]

Gosen Ryoga Issen

[​IMG]

13. Distanc3

Distanc3 Regular Member

stringer for community centers
    Hey Groovyshot, which local store did you buy your racket from?

14. groovyshot

computers
    Distanc3, I got the racket from Tad's Sporting Goods on Granville street. If you're looking for it, better call Gary to see if he's got any more in.

15. huangxl

huangxl Regular Member

Student
    Any more users of the new Gosen rackets? Care to share some review for people like me?

16. inmamy

inmamy Regular Member

Just splashed out on a Ryoga Tenbu, strung at 24/26 with the Gosen Pro66. I'm going to try it out tomorrow so I'll let you know how it plays, but I have high hopes since I've been using the Gosen Roots series as my main rackets for the past 4 years (switching from the 1st gen Ti10) with very good results.

Groovyshot, any updates? When you say the racket is quick, are you referring to the repulsion or power?

17. inmamy

inmamy Regular Member

And just to add--got it at Rose in Hong Kong for ~$150; it was the last one in stock. I'm really excited to try it out!

18. wuzent

wuzent Regular Member

student
    anyone can teel me how much the tenbu was and what is the balance point for tenbu and issen? thank

19. izzi-carbonex

izzi-carbonex Regular Member

IT Product Engineer
    Guys, i'm one of the many Gosen silent lovers out there and guess what, these 2 rackets is available now in Malaysia...in Kuala Lumpur particularly.

Both rackets actually having different specs, which is Ryoga Tenbu is more balance and stiffer compared to Ryoga Issen which is head heavy and stiff.

I guess Ryoga Tenbu is Gosen called for Nanospeed9900 and Ryoga Issen is towards Armotec 900-Power
    One thing you cant go wrong with Gosen is, the racket can easily suitable to any particular type of player, it just like the balance of yin & yang !!!

These 2 rackets not that cheap though, will cost u almost RM600 and within RM600 Yonex would be the preffered choice. Anyhow, these 2 rackets will be in my wishlist now, its a must have product for year 2010.

:)

20. strada

strada Regular Member

undergraduate student
    im currently staying in ipoh..you can only find these two racket in suria sports house, somewhere in ipoh garden area. it is the only and first shop to have this racket here in ipoh. these two rackets will cost you rm799 but you can ask further discount from the sifu there. these racket just arrived 3-4 days ago and the sifu have tried the Tenbu. from what he told me it is of course very good but very expensive as well. for me i would prefer the issen..red coloured with some oriental drawings looks pretty cool.

it is an offensive racket with head heavy balance..if im not mistaken 290+/-3mm. but i guess this racket is too much for me..hahaha..there is no way i would want to use such an expensive professional racket with very limited techniques. however i might consider buying the aermet 6900 pro. it is much cheaper and also a head heavy balance racket.