Line Calling

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by wildstyler, Jan 6, 2003.

1. wildstyler

wildstyler Regular Member

student
    canada in the school year and hong kong in the sum
    Hello to all again

Another question that just rang in my head was the case of line calling.

What is a in-call and out-call? How would you call it if it just skims it? and Would you call a shot out when it's in?

Many people here have been called "cheater" in some way in their life and I hate to say it, but sometimes you really don't know if it's your eyes or he's just making up things, but also some people have called shots that are out, but actually in.

I myself, honestly, have not cheated in anyway (looks like I'm in court or something) but some close shots that might have been in were called out. It's hard to tell when shots are really close like the shot in the Sydney Olympics 2000 (forgot which match it is, but if my buddy here sees this post, please tell them which match it is!). The shot was really close, almost out, but the line judge ruled it in, really very close, but just skimmed it. This shot's bird was completely out, but with just less than a mm it was just touching the line of the back court.

Sorry I have to end this now, but I've got some badminton to play tonight, and I swear to you guys (people in the 'Time Management' thread), I'll try to manage my time better ;) .

How do you rule an in or out shot? Basically the same questions above, but more on the in and out shots. Pictures would actually be better to explain what I mean, but I really don't have one, but if anyone does, please do post it on this thread.

Wildstyler

2. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    Hiya...

I've been playing competitive badminton for about 6 years now since i was about 12. I've played in tournaments where there are up to 10 line judges including a service judge and chair umpire. This was when i went up to Bangkok for a tournament.

I have also played in tournaments where there is only a chair umpire, the "in"s and "out"s are called by the player and can be overruled by the chair umpire. However i have also played in tournaments where there are no umpires, just the 2 or 4 players. In this game, u have to trust your opponent. But besides SAS (Singapore American School), i have not played any team, whether international or local that have deliberately cheated with line calls. Pls note, i'm not accusing Americans in general as cheats. The only cheats i'm accusing are those at SAS. So the "trust" rule works quite well.

But the ruling basically goes, "If any part of the shuttle touches any part of the line on the first impact, the shuttle is in". But as u can see, determining this can be quite hard..... Esp if u have someone on the other smashing as though their trying to remove all the feathers rather than get it in.

3. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Byro is right. If any part of the shuttle touches the line on impact, it is in. This means that if the shuttle lands (cork first) on the outside of the line but stop with the feathers touching the line, IT IS OUT but if it landed skiming the line and stop with all parts out, IT IS IN.

It is totally necessary for the line judges to be sighted down the line as looking at shuttles landing from an angle could give false perceptions.

4. wildstyler

student
    I agree with all of you but it is really hard to determine the shot when it is in or out if the bird skims the line.

Also, this is to people from Ontario, Canada, I've heard that people that the boulevard club cheats a lot and calls were pretty sure in and called out by the player. Not good, but the people around can't do anything about it, since it's the players call.

PS: No offense to anyone thats offended. Sorry!

Wildstyler

5. TOmike

TOmike Regular Member

Student
    haha
    well when it comes to cheaters there's always a few bad apples out of a dozen or so.. if one club has a cheater you shouldn't label them all cheaters... but if they're all cheaters than you really gotta teach them a lesson :p

6. wildstyler

student
    To TOmike: Sorry if I mistaken you, but I didn't mean their whole club were cheating, but I guess just some players from the club. But from what I heard there's a lot that are cheating there.

Wildstyler

7. TOmike

TOmike Regular Member

Student
    no offense taken, i'm not in that club anyways.
    i hear lots of people cheat.. and some guy even dared to say
    "all those chinese kids cheat at tournaments"
    needless to say i didn't pulverize him, just because... i couldn't without getting in trouble..

i think you know that the only real defense against that is not to be one of them.

8. wildstyler

student
    To TOmike: It's all good, buddy.

9. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    i've never cheated (not on purpose anyway... maybe my eyes were a little messed up or whatever..) hmm... why do i get the feeling that that comment is somehow realted to the lees badminton club??

10. TOmike

TOmike Regular Member

Student
    my comment is not related to Lee's. I have a friend that goes there, and she doesn't cheat. but there's also an dude that goes there, and he is just suckz and sometimes line calls crap.

haha lee's always draws all the fire. but i won't go into that stuff here. nor am i one to talk about it.

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Well, I think on purposly cheating all the way, will surely lose the fun part of the game, for both sides. I can accept that due to view angles, some really close calls can be favor either side, but too many will be no fun at all.

Personal experience: if ppl just act like a kid, and try to win every point by cheating, just leave, and get into another game later. If the entire club seems messed up (lucky, did not meet one yet), change a club soon.

12. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    When playing, if a shot is too close to call, I usually give my opponent the benefit of doubt that it is "in" since if I didn't see it, I can't tell if it's out or not. My opponents would usually do the same for me if I do this. I tend not to argue the calls on the opponent's side of the court since it is up to them to make those calls but if they blatantly called something out when it is in, well, have to contest that and we usually play it over.

13. chrisgin

chrisgin Regular Member

Analyst/Programmer
    I've actually been wondering about what is 'in' and what is 'out' myself. The reason is I find that most people at my club tend to call 'out' even when to me it looks like the shuttle is touching part of the line on impact. That got me thinking that maybe my definition of 'in' and 'out' was wrong and that if any part of the shuttle on impact was over the line, then it was out. However this thread confirms that my definition is correct (i.e that if any part of the shuttle touches the line on impact, it's in).

The problem is that I find it hard to call close shots 'out', especially if I'm not 100% sure. I guess I don't want anyone thinking I'm a cheat so I'm scared of even making one wrong call (in my favour) and any 50/50 calls I'll give to my opponent. But then I also don't want to look like an idiot for always calling shots 'in' that are actually 'out'.

Maybe it's my eyes or something, I find myself asking either my partner (in doubles) or opponent too often to confirm if the shot was in or out when it's my call. Other people seem to be able to make the calls themselves.

Chris

14. wildstyler

student
    To chrisgin: It really doesn't matter much when the shot is really close, because (if I'm not wrong) you're playing badminton for fun(not saying it's unimportant). What I'm concerned is that in competition, there are people that do line calling really badly on purpose, just to win. I don't think it's a strategy or anything, but some people might do this so that there is a conflict and wasting time would give the opponent energy to regain the game to win.

To all: I don't think it's the Lee's, but it's those rich clubs in Toronto. Don't want to mention names or anything, I'll wait till you guys say it out, and I'll nod up and down or side to side. Just in case! LOL

Wildstyler