Trick Serve - Serving at unexpecting partner

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by calgarybdmntn, Apr 26, 2010.

1. calgarybdmntn

calgarybdmntn New Member

What do you think about, in lower level doubles or mixed doubles, once per game , hitting a hard drive serve at the non-receiving partner.

For instance in mixed doubles the girl stands at the front waiting for her male partner to receive. The serving player on the opposing team notes that the girl is not particularly quick or alert and drives the birdie at her in an attempt to get her to hit it out of reflex or fail to react in time and have it hit her or her racket.

Of course this would only be attempted once a game and under ideal conditions.

Thoughts?

2. ryim_

ryim_ Regular Member

Capital Market Research
    I think its lame...

3. visor

visor Regular Member

It would certainly catch them off guard, but you better not confess to doing it intentionally.

Same thing happened in Denmark Open 2009(?) when Tan serving to Boe happened to hit Mogensen... but the obtuse umpire didn't see it happen, so she called a let.

4. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

This has happened a few times at my club/school by accident, and the look on the partner's face is GOLD:D. Anything is worth a try at the lower level - if you see the partner standing too close to the receiver and too far forwards... roll the dice - it's only one point:p.

5. J.j_chan

J.j_chan Regular Member

Student
    Is Pretty rare that's gona happen in any advance game,because the player himself know that he/she is not suppose to hit the birdie even if it goes to him/her

6. Destricto_Ense

Destricto_Ense Regular Member

Student
    I've done it a couple of times accidentally, but in my eyes doing it intentionally is tantamount to cheating and is pretty shameful.

7. visor

visor Regular Member

You don't understand the rule. The receiver's partner does not have to hit it at all; he/she just have to get hit by the service shuttle if he/she doesn't get out of the way in time ... that is a fault in itself.

8. jafffa

jafffa Regular Member

when not in a serious game, its a seriously funny serve to play

9. illusionistpro

illusionistpro Regular Member

there is no purpose in earning cheap points. it develops bad habit and mentality at a young stage. if you dont plan on doing it later on, you might as well stop doing it now.

10. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    In all honesty, I can't see the point. At all but the very lowest levels of badminton your receiving opponent's partner will be aware that they shouldn't hit the shuttle if it comes their way. Also, I don't think a drive serve would be that difficult for them to dodge, defeating any purpose of playing it.

The only time I have ever seen the receiver's partner hit a return they shouldn't have in serious play was in an under 11s match I was watching whilst waiting for my next game (U17). The fact that the only time in serious play that I have seen this happen was in a match where no-one was older than 10 should indicate the level of skill/concentration that this cheap tactic will work at. Whilst drive serves can be hit pretty quickly, I doubt that someone playing a doubles/mixed game at a low level would be able to hit a fast enough drive serve to even begin to surprise the non-receiving opponent.

To sum my feelings up, there are more legitimate, more effective ways of winning points than this ineffective cheap trick so it's probably best just to leave it and focus on hitting a good serve in to the correct box. Of course, in a game that isn't that serious, I'm not really opposed to you using something like that to keep the opponents on their toes but even in recreational play, I don't know if it would be that effective.

11. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

As Dan said, it's a pretty useless tactic.