Adult Group Training Opportunity!!

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by timeless, Jan 6, 2003.

1. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    There is a good training opportunity for BEGINNER - INTERMEDIATE ADULT players in the Vancouver, BC area. It begins tomorrow, Tuesday January 7th and runs every Tuesday for 8 weeks. Sorry for the late notice but I just found out that if they don't get some more people to sign up for it they are going to cancel it. That means if you sign up there won't be as many people so you'll get more attention from the instructor!! :D This is a great opportunity for beginners and intermediate adult players as the instructor is awesome, and the price is very reasonable since it's being run by a community centre. And as most of us adults know, training opportunities for us are few and far in between (and very expensive).

Details:
    =====
    Instructor: Darryl Yung (Canadian Olympian)
    Cost: $56 + Community Centre membership ($10? or so)
    Date: Starts Tuesday January 7th and runs every Tuesday for 8 weeks.
    Time: 6:15PM - 7:45PM (1.5 Hours)
    Phone: (604) 222-6060 Dunbar Community Centre
    Lesson #: 406-1

If you have any questions feel free to ask me and I'll tell you what I know about the program or the instructor. Oh, and in case you're wondering, yes, of course I've signed up for it too! I couldn't call fast enough! :D

2. TTT

TTT Regular Member

BEGINNER - INTERMEDIATE ADULT?

I thought it was only for beginner?

the course title was "Beginner Badminton Lesson"

3. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    Yes the course is officially for beginners. However, keep in mind that terms like beginners and intermediate are a matter of perspective and more of a guide line. I've spoken with Darryl about the course and he said it would benefit anyone who who wishes to learn proper techniques. There will be total beginners there and also some people who may have some experience but still need to learn the same proper techniques. So there should be people around everyone's level to practise with there. I think they just call it Beginner Badminton so that veteran players don't show up expecting to learn advanced techniques. Just the basics is all I'm expecting. Did you sign up for it too? :D

Personally, I feel the word "beginner" (and "intermediate") in badminton describe huge grey areas. You can have someone who's never picked up a badminton racquet in their life, and you can have someone who's played badminton for a few years but still can't play well because of lack of proper technique. In the eyes of a professional coach/trainer, both are beginners. However, if you want to give the latter some credit for actually spending a few years playing the game, you can call them intermediate. Although, the latter has some experience with the game and might progress faster but they still need to learn the same things.

#3 timeless, Jan 7, 2003
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2003
  4. rlue

rlue Regular Member

looking
    Always open to good advise...
    Do you think this course will at any time be given in Montreal....Vancouver is a bit far for me:(

5. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    Hmmm I'm afraid I don't know much about the badminton scene out east. The only club I know about out there where pros play regularly is the RA Centre in Ottawa. Players such as Mike Bitten, Denise Julien, Mike Prevoe, and Dominic Soong play there. I know Mike Bitten and Dominic Soong used to coach/teach there but I don't know if they still do. I suggest you give the RA Centre a call and ask to speak to Mike Bitten. He's the head pro there and he'd probably know if any kind of good training opportunities were available in the Montreal area, or at least connect you to someone who does.

Here's the website for the RA Centre Badminton Club and Mike Bitten's contact information is at the bottom of the page:

English: http://www.racentre.com/e/sports/badminto.htm
    French: http://www.racentre.com/f/sports/badminto.htm

Good luck! :)

6. rlue

rlue Regular Member

looking
    Thanks.....

7. Acekiller

Acekiller Regular Member

Student
    Dominic Soong host his own training groups, both adults and youth in Ottawa. It is at a small community center near Sussex Dr, not at the RA center. But if you talk to the ppl at RA, they will know how to contact Dominic.

8. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

too bad we don't have anything like this in Toronto