BG66/BG 85/ BG68-Ti

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by wayne, Jan 6, 2003.

1. wayne

wayne Regular Member

Can someone advise me whether which string is more suitable for power smashing? And probably at what stringing tension? Is it going to loose tension pretty fast?Thanks.

best regards,
    Wayne

2. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    BG68Ti ! Tension is depended on your preference.

3. wayne

wayne Regular Member

Hi Ricky,
    Thanks for the reply. But i heard that BG68-Ti has lots of power initially but lose tension very fast & the string become dead after that. Just wonder if you had this experience before.

best regards,
    Wayne

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    All strings lose tension and feel dead.

The ones that don;t feel dead break are less durable!!

If there was a perfect string, I'd guess we'd all be using it.

Haven't tried BG68Ti but BG66 makes a great sound - better than BG85 IMHO. And the feel is only slightly different.

Oh yes, I use feather shuttles

5. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    This is true. However, from my experience, BG66 has similar characteristic (or even worse).

BG85 is a bit better in this area, but still not very good imo. In addition, it is the least powerful string (but an all-round performer) among the three.

If you really like smashing so much, you can't go wrong with BG68Ti.

6. ayl

ayl Regular Member

Professional procrastinator
    G'day Wayne,

Help this helps. Based on your requirement BG68Ti is most powerful, followed closely by BG85 and BG66. Depending on the tenion you prefer to play with the performance of string will vary. Good luck! :)

BG66

Ultra thin string (0.66mm) with great power, good control and excellent repulsion. Slightly sticky synthetic surface coating allows good performance for slice and tumble shots. This string in my experience works best between 18lbs to 23lbs. At higher tension the string's life is relatively short. However, the low cost of this string offsets the lack of durability.

BG68Ti

Thin string (0.68mm) with titanium coating produces a slippery surface which makes slice and tumble shots tricky. Excellent power with good durability. Seems to work best at high tensions. The titanium outer coating assists in preventing the string from fraying but once the coating is broken through the string frays badly on the spot. Lose some tension after initial use but stablises afterwards nicely. Quite pricy.

BG85

Pricey string (0.67mm) with excellent power, control and feel. Just a tad less powerful than BG68Ti but has superior performance where delicate shots are called for. Slightly rough string surface aids in slice and tumble shots. Works best at tension above 22lbs (at lower tension, it doesn't seem to perform better than BG66) and holds high tension well and is my personal favorite for providing best balance between good power, control, feel and durability.

#6 ayl, Jan 7, 2003
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2003
  7. Ian G.

Ian G. Regular Member

Similar dillema! Need help fast!

I have a similar problem. I have used BG66 before on my racquets and have found that it provides superb power and pin-point control. Then I tried to use the BG65ti. Now the BG65ti gives excellent power for the price of the most sucky control ever even from the standard strings that come with some of the racquets I borrow and used to have. Then I tried the Carlton High Tension String which is 0.75 in gauge. Theres nothing special about this string, gives good power and control. better than BG65ti, but not quite the BG66. Now I'm choosing if I should try and see if the BG85 is better or just go back using BG66. I have all my racquets strung at 18main x 20cross since I find no improvement in my performance with higher tensions and find my performance worse with lower tensions. I need all the input I can get by this friday because I really need to restring my racquets because BG65ti is really messing up my game!! :mad: :( Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance! :)

8. ayl

ayl Regular Member

Professional procrastinator
    G'day Ian,

If your preferred tension is 20x18lbs I recommend you go back to BG66. I've tried BG85 at 22x21lbs before and it was a mighty disappointment. BG85 in my experience works better at high tension.

Hope this helps. :)

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Personally, I think BG66 is a good string with relatively lower tension (23-). Due to it's "ultra thin" nature, BG66 life greatly decreases when strung at high tension. However, to a stringer, BG66 is much easier to string with. I've heard ppl complain about their BG66 broken quite often on them, say, once or twice per month (about 5+ hrs of badminton). After I suggested them to go with lower tension, most of them can enjoy the string for more than double of the time.

To me, BG68Ti and BG85 are similar string, however, BG85 seems a little bit "softer", but that could because the rackets I tried were strung at different tension.

10. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    Haven't tried BG-66 so can't say much about it. However my opinion of Bg-68ti is completely different from the earlier posts. I had 68ti strung on my mp99 @ 24lbs and my friend had it on his mp100 @ 22 lbs. For both of us, we felt no power whatsoever, all the hits just felt wrong and the clears barely clears half court most of the time. After about 2 weeks of that, we both changed to bg-85 @ same tension and the power is amazing. I was able to hit deeper than I use to with less swing. The only thing is that bg-85 is a really soft string and there isn't much feel of the impact which might give you the impression that there is no power. overall, I prefer bg-85 over bg-68ti.

11. jsevalle

jsevalle Regular Member

student
    All i can say about 68-Ti is that it loses tension, fast. But it plays great before it feels dead.

#11 jsevalle, Jan 11, 2003
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2003
  12. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Actually, it is BG-68 Ti is quite a repulsive string at high tension, something like 26 to 28 lbs.

13. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching

14. Ian G.

Ian G. Regular Member

But I'm referring to BG65ti not BG68ti... :rolleyes:

15. mtakako

mtakako Regular Member

How come no one mention BG80.. which I think is the best in thee yonex series string excluding BG88Ti and CBG100 as I never try them and can't compare..

16. Ti10

Ti10 Regular Member

Student
    I have different opinion. I think BG-66 do very good in smash and drive but it not last very long.

17. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    so does the less costly bg65/65ti and these last longer too

18. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Racquet Services
    I personally found the bg68ti too hard to hit with at 25 lb. However with the 65 it was still too bouncy at 25 lb. Care to shine a little light on this? I would appreciate some opinions on this aside from stringing styles.

CHeers,
    Nick

19. cooler

cooler Regular Member

I never bought or used bg68ti before. Never liked it from the beginning based on yonex's description on its construction and fiber weaving. I had re-strung other's people racquet with worn bg68ti and upon close inspection it confirmed my initial impression. I'm not saying bg68ti is a bad string, it's definitely better than bg43 but is it worth the money when i can get others.

20. cooler

cooler Regular Member

what's wrong with a too bouncy string? it's like saying i don't like my car because it runs too fast.